What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
Junior grassroots development of rugby league in regional WA will help create more senior teams outside of the metropolitan area, according to NRL WA general manager John Sackson.

The last of the regional senior NRL teams, the South West Warriors, were dissolved a couple of years ago, forcing NRL WA to look at new ways of developing the game.

Sackson said development had to start with the juniors.

“Then you get the parents and siblings involved,” he said.

“Once we get the junior programs up and running, then you can implement umpiring and coaching programs.”

After developing strong competitions in Broome and the Pilbara, the organisation is looking to expand and bring the game to a wider regional audience.

Talks with stakeholders in Albany and Kalgoorlie have been promising, while the junior league in the South West is growing, with work still to be done through an increase in player and volunteer numbers.

“The South West is a huge priority for us in 2019,” Sackson said.

“We have marked the South West as a clear development area for the next year. We want to step up our presence there and support of the clubs, which are emerging.”

NRL WA has hired five development officers, who head to schools in regional WA and push the sport.

“We need to increase our presence and awareness of the game at school level,” Sackson said.

Optus Stadium will host WA’s first ever State of Origin game next year. Sackson believed the June 23 contest would help garner interest in the sport.

“That event will generate enormous media coverage and general interest throughout the whole State,” he said.

“Both teams, Queensland and New South Wales, will be conducting a fair amount of fan engagement, which is important for the development of the game in this State.”

Sackson said it would be a bit of time before another senior regional club entered the NRL WA competition.

“With the South West, we hope if we keep developing the juniors, then a senior will naturally develop over time,” he said.

“Another area we have our eye on is Geraldton. We are devising plans because they are of a relative proximity to our other clubs.”

https://thewest.com.au/news/regional/rugby-league-body-eyes-regional-expansion-ng-b881037210z

The Great Dane

First Grade
That's really cool, might buy one of them for my nephew if they aren't too expensive, he's just old enough to sort of remember the late 90s and some of the teams from that time and has a real interest in them and he'd think that jersey was awesome.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Perth Red

Post Whore
Regional WA

South West
  • Australind Cowboys
  • Eaton Cowboys
  • Bunbury Titans
  • Dalyellup Rhinos
  • Busselton Broncos
  • South West Warriors
Great Southern
  • Albany Seadragons
Pilbara
  • Pilbara Rugby League
  • Karratha Junior Rugby League
  • Port Hedland Hawks Junior Rugby League
  • South Hedland Cougars
  • Wickham Wasps
Kimberley
Broome
  • Broome Suns Junior Rugby League

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth-born Cory Paterson is a prime example of how if you work hard, anything is possible.

A former South Perth Lions junior, Paterson is one of WA’s most decorated and recognised rugby league players, having amassed almost 200 games across the NRL, Super League and English Championship.

2019 will look very different for the 31-year-old, however, with Paterson to take on an active role in the development of West Coast Pirates players during the SG Ball season.

“I had some good people around me when I was growing up,” Paterson said.

“I just want to give back to these kids and give them an insight into what they are capable of.”

Having missed out on the opportunity of playing for the Western Reds himself, Paterson wants to assist the next generation of Pirates players.

“These kids have got a great opportunity,” he said.

“They’re going to be in the shop window for nine weeks playing against NRL clubs.

They have all of these opportunities and I don’t want them to squander it.”

After hanging up his boots last year, Paterson is relishing being back in his home town.

“I’ve been away 15 years and want to bring my young family back home and try and get back involved in the footy here,” he said.

“I just want to show my face and try and give a bit of belief and show anything is possible if you’re willing to work hard.”

Above all, Paterson has a simple message for the Pirates Crew.

“If I can make it – any of these kids can make it,” he said.

“I was never the most talented but was always the hardest worker. When you work hard and have a bit of talent you can make it – just because you’re from Perth doesn’t mean you can’t.”

http://westcoastpirates.com.au/paterson-keen-to-give-back-to-pirates/

Diesel

Referee

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Forgive me for maybe sounding dumb on the whole expansion debate but where exactly are we? Has there been a date set for future expansion? If yes how many teams will be added?

Also is the NRL still offering clubs money to relocate and did they offer this in the past or did I just dream it? lol!!