What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

flippikat

Bench
Seriously.... even IF they didn't offer a valuable new tv timeslot, Perth would be a dead-set certainty for the next round of expansion - given the population, participation & sheer historical dominance of the affiliated states competition. Opening the late TV timeslot is just icing on the cake.

It astounds me that we don't have an NRL club there already.

Oh wait, we did.. damn that botched peace settlement! *shakes fist*

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth is ready and champing at the bit to enter a club into the National Rugby League.
It’s been 22 long years since there was a franchise here when the Perth Reds were axed as a result of the reunification of the code following the Super League wars.

Last week the NRL Chief Executive Todd Greenberg confirmed growth was on the agenda citing the West Coast and Brisbane as options if the league was to either expand or relocate one or two of the Sydney teams.

If it is to be it must happen soon to build on the success and hunger of an anxious western rugby league community.
WA does not want a reject club to relocate, it wants its own brand and identity.

A lot of the leg work has already been done with the NRLWA (formerly WA Rugby League) launching the West Coast Pirates seven years ago as its franchise bid with a queue of financial backers and sponsors if the code was to expand.

Currently the Pirates field teams in some of the national pathway competitions like the S.G. Ball Cup for Under 18s.

As a brand the Pirates has fantastic appeal to families encouraging young fans to engage and have fun which could be enhanced through pre game entertainment although I believe that Perth must feature in the name rather than West Coast.
And while on the brand – what’s wrong with the Quokka?
I digress – I am on board with the Pirates but let’s just call them the Perth Pirates.

The National Rugby League and in turn Western Australia has been building the national footprint over the last 12 years which cannot go to waste.

This is the opportunity to really make the National Rugby League actually the National Rugby League, not just some eastern states based code of football.

For ten years from 2007, the South Sydney Rabbitohs successfully brought a premiership fixture every year and the Manly Sea Eagles on a few occasions to Perth with an average crowd of 15,000 at HBF Park (formerly NIB Stadium).

The Stadium which hosts the Perth Glory in the A-League competition and the Western Force in the Global Rapid Rugby series is an excellent purpose-built and underutilised rectangular facility to stage fortnightly rugby league premiership fixtures when the new franchise is confirmed.

Perth is a no brainer for broadcast partners as it will provide a fortnightly live late fixture into the eastern states, in fact with a team in Auckland there is the potential for four games of football back to back to back to back providing eight hours of live content – a rugby league tragic’s dream.

Last year the NRL snuck in under the nose of the AFL by scheduling the first football fixture at the brand new Optus Stadium staging a round one double header to open the premiership season.

If you needed a reason to bring rugby league to Perth then this was it entertaining a crowd of almost 40,000.

That momentum continues to build in June when for the first time Perth will host State of Origin between New South Wales and Queensland at Optus Stadium in front of a sell-out 60,000 strong crowd.

In reinforces WA’s commitment to league while showcasing the most watched television event.

It is a coup for Perth but at this stage it’s shaping as a crescendo with nothing else announced past June.

The current broadcast agreement runs until 2022 so if rugby league is to grow then the Pirates need at least two years to establish the franchise.

League grew a staggering 16.7 per cent in WA last year while the national average was just 3.5 per cent

The clock is ticking after a decade of hard work this opportunity could be about to pass.

https://www.watoday.com.au/national...ts-own-rugby-league-team-20190325-p517bf.html

Perth is ready and champing at the bit to enter a club into the National Rugby League.
It’s been 22 long years since there was a franchise here when the Perth Reds were axed as a result of the reunification of the code following the Super League wars.

Last week the NRL Chief Executive Todd Greenberg confirmed growth was on the agenda citing the West Coast and Brisbane as options if the league was to either expand or relocate one or two of the Sydney teams.

If it is to be it must happen soon to build on the success and hunger of an anxious western rugby league community.
WA does not want a reject club to relocate, it wants its own brand and identity.

A lot of the leg work has already been done with the NRLWA (formerly WA Rugby League) launching the West Coast Pirates seven years ago as its franchise bid with a queue of financial backers and sponsors if the code was to expand.

Currently the Pirates field teams in some of the national pathway competitions like the S.G. Ball Cup for Under 18s.

As a brand the Pirates has fantastic appeal to families encouraging young fans to engage and have fun which could be enhanced through pre game entertainment although I believe that Perth must feature in the name rather than West Coast.
And while on the brand – what’s wrong with the Quokka?
I digress – I am on board with the Pirates but let’s just call them the Perth Pirates.

The National Rugby League and in turn Western Australia has been building the national footprint over the last 12 years which cannot go to waste.

This is the opportunity to really make the National Rugby League actually the National Rugby League, not just some eastern states based code of football.

For ten years from 2007, the South Sydney Rabbitohs successfully brought a premiership fixture every year and the Manly Sea Eagles on a few occasions to Perth with an average crowd of 15,000 at HBF Park (formerly NIB Stadium).

The Stadium which hosts the Perth Glory in the A-League competition and the Western Force in the Global Rapid Rugby series is an excellent purpose-built and underutilised rectangular facility to stage fortnightly rugby league premiership fixtures when the new franchise is confirmed.

Perth is a no brainer for broadcast partners as it will provide a fortnightly live late fixture into the eastern states, in fact with a team in Auckland there is the potential for four games of football back to back to back to back providing eight hours of live content – a rugby league tragic’s dream.

Last year the NRL snuck in under the nose of the AFL by scheduling the first football fixture at the brand new Optus Stadium staging a round one double header to open the premiership season.

If you needed a reason to bring rugby league to Perth then this was it entertaining a crowd of almost 40,000.

That momentum continues to build in June when for the first time Perth will host State of Origin between New South Wales and Queensland at Optus Stadium in front of a sell-out 60,000 strong crowd.

In reinforces WA’s commitment to league while showcasing the most watched television event.

It is a coup for Perth but at this stage it’s shaping as a crescendo with nothing else announced past June.

The current broadcast agreement runs until 2022 so if rugby league is to grow then the Pirates need at least two years to establish the franchise.

League grew a staggering 16.7 per cent in WA last year while the national average was just 3.5 per cent

The clock is ticking after a decade of hard work this opportunity could be about to pass.

https://www.watoday.com.au/national...ts-own-rugby-league-team-20190325-p517bf.html
You would've thought the NRL would be smart and use the SOO game here this year a time to announce something with a great launchpad for gathering support before entering the comp a few years later, obviously this looks highly unlikely now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You would've thought the NRL would be smart and use the SOO game here this year a time to announce something with a great launchpad for gathering support before entering the comp a few years later, obviously this looks highly unlikely now.

That would take a vision, strategy and planning. Something our games leadership sadly lacks

Stallion

First Grade
It's clear additional clubs are the watto go. Be it : Brisbane 2, West Coast Pirates , Central Coast Bears or NZ2. Two of those areas should be planned and announced sooner rather than later. Time is ticking & these clubs would gain the NRL revenue on top of increasing junior numbers and overall interest. It's fairly obvious but something or someone is intent on holding such progress up!

Perth Red

Post Whore
So why, with Rome basking in mammoth television ratings, growing memberships, improving crowd numbers, billion dollar TV deals, are we petrified to come out of our hole?
The answer is ‘market share’.If we learn one thing from the AFL’s arrogant “invasion” of Sydney, it is ‘market share’.
We don’t need every single West Coast and Fremantle supporter to drop their flags and waltz into NIB Stadium for the West Coast Pirates opening game.
It’s about our market share.
Our game sells itself.
We don’t insist on ourselves like others.
The game’s target, if it is to reignite the ghosts of the Western Reds, is to embrace the expats, intrigued neutrals and pissed off rugby union fans. That’s initially, anyway. With them, however, they bring their children. The fresh eyes.
And with those fresh eyes and welcome arms, they will embrace the pirate.
You can already see NIB Stadium on a bright, Perth Sunday afternoon.
Jumping castles, eye-patches, energy in the air.
We don’t need fifty thousand people at every game.
We don’t want it.
All we want is the warm embrace of the community.
The same kind of tribalism, us-against-them mentality that has made the Melbourne Storm such an irresistible force.
Rugby league is an amazing game.
But how would the people of Western Australia know or remember it if they don’t get their own team?
http://the81stminute.com/2019/03/wh...the-great-game-of-rugby-league-back-to-perth/

mongoose

Coach
i actually feel sorry for Perth that the NRL hasn't got its act together to put a team there. It must feel like a real snub from Rugby League and sadly there are still lots of people (typically sydney siders) who think its a waste of time. Imagine a strong Perth side taking on the Storm and Broncos in front of a packed stadium?
I think one benefit of the NRL is that the biggest clubs can potentially be Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland and maybe Perth if they ever come in. In the AFL the biggest clubs are still all Melbourne suburbs and then West Coast Eagles, it keeps their game feeling very Melbourne centric even though they have teams in all major state capitals. The NRL is still sydney centric but the big boys are really the Broncos and Storm and if they ever have a period of sustained success the Warriors will be the other big club.

So true @Perth Red
I think the people who are AFL fans of non-WA teams would take interest as well.
I love my RL but also support Hawthorn in the AFL so I'm not very likely to want to go along and watch an Eagles game as a neutral (love AFL but cannot stand Eagles supporters). I feel like similar people to me even if they are not RL fans would take an interest because they can go along each week and support a Perth team which they cant do in the AFL because their team is interstate.
I have mates who dont really watch NRL but when the issue of expansion/relocation pops up in the news they ask me what to go is and if we are likely to get a team soon etc. So there is definitely interest even outside current RL fans.

adamkungl

Immortal
Interview with NRLWA CEO today. Great to see the Perth media getting on board with the call for nrl expansion.

https://www.6pr.com.au/podcast/its-time-for-wa-to-get-back-into-the-nrl/

Some decent talk here about the Pirates brand.

While the traditionalist in me loves a good animal mascot and would prefer to see the old Reds back, I can see the appeal Pirates has for the younger generation.

But I find it very difficult to get behind these broad, featureless location brandings like "West Coast". Yeah it might seem more inclusive but are you losing some international branding and recognition by not anchoring to a real place name? And are you throwing in some avoidable branding confusion with West Coast Eagles?

Imo Perth Pirates or WA Pirates are better names.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Id prefer WA, we are having great success growing the game in regional WA and we need and want them on board with the NRL club so need to keep it inclusive.

I'm not much of a fan of the old Reds name to be honest definitely prefer Pirates. Im the same as you guys on the 'West Coast' name (probably because I hate the Eagles in the AFL haha) I'd say Perth Pirates has a better ring to it than WA Pirates.

Last edited:

Latest posts