What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Forgive me for maybe sounding dumb on the whole expansion debate but where exactly are we? Has there been a date set for future expansion? If yes how many teams will be added?

Also is the NRL still offering clubs money to relocate and did they offer this in the past or did I just dream it? lol!!

I believe Todd and Beattie have commissioned a new report on expansion/relocation due at the end of the year.

Im fairly sure there has been no formal offer for relocation set since Gallop f*cked off. Id guess they would treat each case (if any cone up) on the individual circumstances.

If you believe conspiracies, Todd could be trying to push WTs and Cronulla over the edge with the salary cap penalties to for relocation, not personally mentioning relocation as a solution to trying to look innocent of it all

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep report due end of year on viability and potential model for expansion
No hope of expansion until at least 2023 unless an existing club falls over
no idea where they want to expand
Have intimated that they want to to see expansion clubs coming from the second tier comps. WC Pirates allegedly joining NSW cup in 2020
No money for relocation available
Top tip: Don't hold your breath!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/7de8fc55d8b469818c1fa7fff818173e

The Western Reds seems like an eternity ago now.
And one of the men who wore the red, black, white and gold of the ill-fated Perth franchise says it’s time to try again.

Mark Geyer, who played for the Reds over three seasons in the mid-1990s, shakes his head at the thought of the game’s branding — the National Rugby League.
“We’re called the NRL and we shouldn’t be, because we’re not national,” Geyer said on Triple M.

There are clubs in four of Australia’s eight states and territories, but they’re all in the east.

That’s why Geyer has proposed that the NRL ventures west, and once again grants a licence to a Perth-based bid.

“To go national, I truly believe - not just because I played there - but I’ve been there and I’ve seen the want and the need for a team in Perth,” he continued.

He said the Reds, which folded as a first-grade entity in 1997, would have been a success if not for the Super League war. And insists there’s an appetite for rugby league in the AFL-mad state.

“When we were put together in 1994 with the Western Reds — a rag-tag team — we had instant success and we had one name: Brad Mackay,” he said.

“I was coming off a bad couple of years, we had blokes who were fringe first-graders, we had blokes who were playing Super League in England, but we came together with one cause: to be pioneers in Western Australia rugby league.

“We’d still be there if Super League didn’t come along.”

According to Geyer, there hasn’t been a better time to expand into Western Australia, with Game Two of the 2019 State of Origin series to be played at the new Perth Stadium.

“The game needs a shot in the arm at the moment,” he said.

“With the second Origin being played in Perth, I think it would be a fantastic time to announce that in 2020 or 2021, we’re going to have a team here in Perth.

“Whatever they’re called, the Perth Pirates or the Western Suns. Whatever.”

Perth is certainly one of the front-runners for a licence once expansion gets the go-ahead.

But in what form, that’s undecided.

A new franchise like the Pirates or Suns is one option, but there are a couple of others.

Late last year, there were reports the Cronulla Sharks were in danger of being taken over by the NRL and shipped off to Perth.

It was also reported by the Sydney Morning Herald last year that Western Reds chairman Laurie Puddy and North Sydney Bears chairman Perry Lopez held a series of secret talks about a potential combined bid — the Western Bears.

Todd Greenberg has been tasked by the ARL Commission to spend 12 months on a detailed expansion report.

“It is easy to say we need to put new teams into places like Brisbane, New Zealand and Perth, but we first need to analyse the market and conduct a full business case,” Greenberg said in December.

“Any concept of additional teams or a change in the format or structure to the competition would flow after 2022.”

flippikat

Bench
This fabled "expansion report" is the key here.

ALL the stakeholders of the game need to hold Greenberg accountable to deliver it this year, and table it in public, without fail.

No more lip service to potential bidders, no more batting-off expansion questions with vague responses.

As far as I'm concerned, it has to be one of Greenberg's top priorities.. if not THE top priority.. and if he does not deliver an expansion plan this year he must resign.

The end of the current TV deal is approaching, and I seriously fear for the game if there's nothing new to bring to the table.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I hate the sound of the Suns. It’s been done by the AFL, why the hell would we as a code want to follow their expansion team name ourselves. The NRL needs to stand out with the branding of a new team, not allow it to be confused with a rival code.

I hate the sound of the Western Bears as well and I could only see that venture being fraught with danger.

WA needs it’s own brand and the Pirates are it! They have been established as a brand for a number of years now, they have their team in the NSW comp and starting to open up that pathway. They have the sponsors on, they just need the green light to start preparing a team for a maiden season in the NRL.

All I can say is if it doesn’t happen now/the next broadcast deal then it will probably never happen and all we’ve done is waste more time and money giving potential bids a glimmer of hope just to pull it out from under them. In turn it will probably leave a sour taste in the mouths of the WARL community and see them leave the game for good too.

MugaB

Coach
I hate the sound of the Suns. It’s been done by the AFL, why the hell would we as a code want to follow their expansion team name ourselves. The NRL needs to stand out with the branding of a new team, not allow it to be confused with a rival code.

I hate the sound of the Western Bears as well and I could only see that venture being fraught with danger.

WA needs it’s own brand and the Pirates are it! They have been established as a brand for a number of years now, they have their team in the NSW comp and starting to open up that pathway. They have the sponsors on, they just need the green light to start preparing a team for a maiden season in the NRL.

All I can say is if it doesn’t happen now/the next broadcast deal then it will probably never happen and all we’ve done is waste more time and money giving potential bids a glimmer of hope just to pull it out from under them. In turn it will probably leave a sour taste in the mouths of the WARL community and see them leave the game for good too.
Reds for me even tho it was only for 3 years it was very unique and very Australian, and im a fan of nostalgia, having that name will have historical reference in years to come added to what will be current, coz if the pirates fail, they'll will just be another iteration
Like the many Gold coast entities

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Reds for me even tho it was only for 3 years it was very unique and very Australian, and im a fan of nostalgia, having that name will have historical reference in years to come added to what will be current, coz if the pirates fail, they'll will just be another iteration
Like the many Gold coast entities
Yeah, to be honest, I think the Pirates name would better suit the Gold Coast but works for WA/West coast. The Reds would definitely still be a great return for WA but I think WA has moved away from it after the SL fall out.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Reds was a great name. With a modernised logo, it would have been perfect.

I will never understand why RL is so terrified of its own past. The revival of the Rabbitohs is a great story, imagine is they had been like “nah, its a tanted brand. Lets call them the Sydney Wolves. NO BAGGAGE!!”

Why not revive the old brand (Perth Reds, Gold Coast Giants) with all of their history, continue that story and turn a “failed franchise” into a success...

Stallion

First Grade
Reds was a great name. With a modernised logo, it would have been perfect.

I will never understand why RL is so terrified of its own past. The revival of the Rabbitohs is a great story, imagine is they had been like “nah, its a tanted brand. Lets call them the Sydney Wolves. NO BAGGAGE!!”

Why not revive the old brand (Perth Reds, Gold Coast Giants) with all of their history, continue that story and turn a “failed franchise” into a success...

Don't think those names (Reds and Giants ) really captured the imagination of the general public. Whereas West Coast Pirates does have a great theme for adults and particularly kids. GIants has a constant association with failure in most people's view I suggest. Just look at AFL equivalent (hardly grabbing the market at all ) & the same for predecessor name in the Gold Coast NRL team. Although I do like the thought of Pirates with the Gold Coast if WA doesn't come on board? ! Then again too many name changes does limit brand recognition in the market place for mine?

Last edited:

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
^^ Yeah that's what I recall.
as a West Aussie I'd certainly prefer a return of the Reds name but I understand the WARL's decision to go with the Pirates. The kids will love it.

Diesel

Referee
WA used the name before the Qld RU team did from memory.

Western Reds established 1992, played their first game in 1996
QRU have been around for ages but only used QLD Reds from 1996, if anything, QRU stole the name from RL

The Great Dane

First Grade
WA used the name before the Qld RU team did from memory.

Western Reds established 1992, played their first game in 1996
QRU have been around for ages but only used QLD Reds from 1996, if anything, QRU stole the name from RL

Unfortunately it's a case of use it or lose it.

At this point, and probably for 20 years now, the Reds name and brand has been more recognisable as a RU brand, it's totally understandable that the WARL doesn't want their 'Reds Rugby team' confused with the now more recognisable QRU 'Reds Rugby team'.

MugaB

Coach
Adelaide reds are in A-league too,
Tigers in most vairing codes and 2 seagulls clubs in qld intust cup
Brands don't mean shit unless they are a successful team, redcliffe threatened gold coast legal action, before the titans name was chosen, Burleigh bears were about to the same when norths were looking at buying the gold coast licence with a rebrand of the gold coast bears,
Then there's the merged enitiy's of NRL
wests ashfield now own over 75% of the Wests Tigers, which they could easily revert back to the Magpies ala
Gold Coast Seagulls, or Manly Sea Eagles of the Northern Eagles merger.
But having a strong emblem in the Tiger is better for the clubs image/branding for the kids/fans then reverting to what they want to do which is be the western suburbs Magpies
So what do they do, next best thing color jerseys either predominantly black or white and fk all orange, thus no really no tiger or balmain influence in the merger now at all

To me it would important to name perth the reds, but i understand the "titans style" branding route the club would go, just wouldn't be my preference

flippikat

Bench
Then there's the merged enitiy's of NRL
wests ashfield now own over 75% of the Wests Tigers, which they could easily revert back to the Magpies ala
Gold Coast Seagulls, or Manly Sea Eagles of the Northern Eagles merger.
But having a strong emblem in the Tiger is better for the clubs image/branding for the kids/fans then reverting to what they want to do which is be the western suburbs Magpies
So what do they do, next best thing color jerseys either predominantly black or white and fk all orange, thus no really no tiger or balmain influence in the merger now at all

That's one thing that irks me about the Gold Coast team - even though Redcliffe forced them to back-off from the Dolphins name, they could still use the teal and orange "Dolphins Bid" colour scheme - and it would stand out in the NRL more than their current colours (which come to think of it looks like some weird Sharks/Eels merger).. especially since the Tigers have been reducing their use of orange in recent years. Gold Coast Titans in orange, teal & white would be fine with me.

For too long we've had far too many teams in black/navy blue (Panthers, Warriors, Roosters, Storm, Cowboys in some of their jerseys.. there was even a period when Parramatta darkened their shade of blue as well) - so if we add teams, we want distinctive combinations of club colours.

It was great to see the Warriors move back to their original colours for just that reason.. sure it means another team in blue, but blue & green is unique - especially since their peppermint green is way different to the Raiders' lime green.

Bringing this back to the Pirates, black shouldn't be a main colour in their jersey - Yellow or gold for home (with red/black trim and V), and a mostly red "inverse design" for away.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Agreed on the titans/dolphins colors
Teal and orange woulda been cool
Very emulating of miami dolphins, and unique to the NRL other teams
Perth should stick to predominantly red with black and gold and the alternate gold with black and red, not many teams celebrate the gold or yellow as a main color, brisbane did last year with their original heritage strip, and parra the year before, but thats it, wont see the tigers wearing orange, might aswell call them castleford from now on

Diesel

Referee
Unfortunately it's a case of use it or lose it.

At this point, and probably for 20 years now, the Reds name and brand has been more recognisable as a RU brand, it's totally understandable that the WARL doesn't want their 'Reds Rugby team' confused with the now more recognisable QRU 'Reds Rugby team'.

Not sure if this is drawing a long bow or an oxymoron

Perth Red

Post Whore
Another strong year of growth for the game in the West.

Rugby league participation in Western Australia increased by 16.7 per cent in 2018. There was positive growth across all age groups with an 11.6 per cent growth in male rates and a
43.1 per cent increase in registered female participation.
NRL Western Australia worked tirelessly throughout the year to arrest the recent decline in male participation in particular, with increases across all
age groups. The highlight was a 59.5 per cent growth in females 19 years and over.
The second annual Harmony Cup was held in Port Kennedy with 43 men’s and women’s teams taking part in the event. The event coincided with the first-ever NRL Voice Against Violence program delivered in Western Australia.
The new Perth Stadium hosted the NRL Round One double-header in front of a crowd of 38,824. The stadium will host the second Origin match in 2019.

https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/documents/nrl-gen19_6501-2018-annual-report-hr.pdf