What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

flippikat

Bench
So we have the Bulldogs locked-in for a game per year in 2020-22.. a good start, but are there any other confirmed games moved to Perth for the next few seasons?

Ideally we'd have at least 2 games there per season, and if there can be 3 evenly spaced games per season it would be a superb way to build up the audience before they get their own team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So we have the Bulldogs locked-in for a game per year in 2020-22.. a good start, but are there any other confirmed games moved to Perth for the next few seasons?

Ideally we'd have at least 2 games there per season, and if there can be 3 evenly spaced games per season it would be a superb way to build up the audience before they get their own team.

The problem is nrl plays no part in this so clubs will only come if WA Govt pays them to come. WA Govt only has so much it is willing to spend on nrl games. We need the nrl to have a strategy around this and be subsidising it. What’s the point in earning hundreds of millions from tv if they aren’t investing a tiny part of it in growing the game in new key markets?

flippikat

Bench
The problem is nrl plays no part in this so clubs will only come if WA Govt pays them to come. WA Govt only has so much it is willing to spend on nrl games. We need the nrl to have a strategy around this and be subsidising it. What’s the point in earning hundreds of millions from tv if they aren’t investing a tiny part of it in growing the game in new key markets?

Great point.

There's a thread in the general NRL board about "Should the NRL offer money to Sydney clubs to relocate?".. you could probably extend that to add "..or take 1-2 games per season to strategically identified markets."

There's a good case to make for the NRL offering relocation incentives AND Perth/Adelaide/New Zealand/Where-ever "move a home game to expand the game's profile" incentives. Especially if the home game is being moved to a likely expansion team destination.

Maybe the NRL just needs to write 2 lists.

List 1: Expansion markets we want, and how much we'll pay for relocation to each one.
(Perth, Adelaide, NZ 2, maybe Melbourne 2, possibly a Queensland market..)

List 2: Places we want a game or two each year, and how much we'll pay you if you move 1 home game per season there.
(This would be a bigger list. All the places in list 1, plus Tasmania, Pacific Islands, Hawaii, etc that are nowhere near getting a team of their own, but would raise the game's profile)

Diesel

Referee
Brisbane will get the 2021 GF, Perth or Melbourne 2022 but this really should be the start of spreading the GF around. The fact the 2020 GF is at the SCG is a huge step backwards. The stadium debacle is limping from bad news to worse.
WA should get a GF but QLD is a stronger heartland for RL and has a purpose made rectangular stadium so should get the nod first

ReddFelon

Juniors
Confirmed that Easts will be taking a game to Perth for the next 3 years. That's Easts and Dogs, Perth will be getting 2 games a year starting next year, if they can bring back the Manly/Warriors and/or Souths/Storm games too that would be a good build up to a Perth team in 2023.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s good news, hopefully the6 bring their souths, warriors or Melbourne games here. Hopefully not played in June either!

Diesel

Referee
Warriors have played in Perth a fair bit and enough travel to deal with, without going to WA. Time for other clubs to step up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
UNDEFEATED :clap:

Congratulations to our School Sport Western Australia Inc. U12's who finished with five wins and a draw from their six games at this week's School Sport Australia Rugby League Championships!

#NRLWAItsPossible

BE5BF1B1-E5B5-476B-9ACB-3C788679D35A.jpeg

ReddFelon

Juniors
More great news for WA League. The Mundijong Rugby League club have finally settled on a name and are now polling fans for their new logo.

Great to see the Armadale and Peel region represented for the first time since Armadale Rugby League were dissolved in 2007. FB_IMG_1569296529179.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
I quite like number 2.

Great to see another jnr club start up and as you say covering a region we lost previously. With Ellenbrook, Alkimos, Kwinana, Albany, Broome and all the SW Jnr clubs staring up in recent years we must be heading for an all time high number of Jnr RL clubs in WA?
I count 27 now, that must be even bigger than early 90's when the game was at its peak isnt it?

ReddFelon

Juniors
Pretty certain we've got more now than ever before, only possibility is back when Rockingham had two clubs, the Sharks and the Coastal Raiders before they merged. I just wish Applecross-Mt Pleasant would come back, there was a bunch of noise in 2017 about the club returning and then nothing.

Currently North Beach, Joondalup and Alkimos covers the North. Fremantle, Willagee and South Perth cover the West. Rockingham, Mandurah, Kwinana and now Serpentine covers the South. Ellenbrook, Kalamunda for the East and Hills.

Adding in the country teams even if our total number isn't as high, our geographical footprint is the biggest it's ever been. Ideally I'd love to see the team that briefly existed in Kalgoorlie come back alongside the Applecross Jets. Then we'd be set to build towards a 12 team seniors comp with 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pretty certain we've got more now than ever before, only possibility is back when Rockingham had two clubs, the Sharks and the Coastal Raiders before they merged. I just wish Applecross-Mt Pleasant would come back, there was a bunch of noise in 2017 about the club returning and then nothing.

Currently North Beach, Joondalup and Alkimos covers the North. Fremantle, Willagee and South Perth cover the West. Rockingham, Mandurah, Kwinana and now Serpentine covers the South. Ellenbrook, Kalamunda for the East and Hills.

Adding in the country teams even if our total number isn't as high, our geographical footprint is the biggest it's ever been. Ideally I'd love to see the team that briefly existed in Kalgoorlie come back alongside the Applecross Jets. Then we'd be set to build towards a 12 team seniors comp with 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Kalgoorlie has such logistical problems both in travel and in transient nature of population. A jnr comp there would be good though. Yeh Jets seemed to be on the way back but then it went all quiet again. Probably someone falling out with someone as usual in our game lol

Been very impressed with Ellenbrooks progress and now their Snr team holding its own is great to see. Seems a bit of a geographic gap in Guidlford/Midland area for future development?

ReddFelon

Juniors
Kalgoorlie has such logistical problems both in travel and in transient nature of population. A jnr comp there would be good though. Yeh Jets seemed to be on the way back but then it went all quiet again. Probably someone falling out with someone as usual in our game lol

Been very impressed with Ellenbrooks progress and now their Snr team holding its own is great to see. Seems a bit of a geographic gap in Guidlford/Midland area for future development?

Midland I think has the difficulty of Perth-Bayswater Rugby having the only suitable ground and also a few AFL clubs. That said, given the willingness of some of the union and league clubs to cooperate, I could see someone making a case to the guys at Bayswater to share the ground.

ReddFelon

Juniors
13 long years since Armadale played their last game, I wish the Serpents had been around during my uni days so that I could've played for them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Congratulations to Ellenbrook Rabbitohs and west Coast Pirates jnr Jackson topine in leading the Australian schoolboys to today’s test match win over the kiwis.

Latest posts