What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

ALX25

Bench
Can't call it a national comp when NSW didn't enter a team

In regards to the Open Women's championship.

"More notably, no NSW or Queensland sides have been included for the first time since the National Championships began. Injuries were a major talking point to come out of previous years with some of the game's elite players exposed to heavy workloads leading into Ampol women's State of Origin by playing four games across four days."

See: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/11...pionships-turn-spotlight-on-to-rising-talent/

flippikat

Bench
The way that NRL WA have gone about growing the grassroots is a stark contrast to the "we need a team in Melbourne, let's plonk a new one there" rationale that created the Storm.

There's every chance that a Perth team will field a good proportion of their own juniors in the team, and that'll be a great thing for the game.
Perth and Brisbane 2 should be the next teams.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
I think Brisbane 2 and Auckland 2 should be the next.
I am still hoping the Perth team can be achieved by a relocation.
That’s not expanding the footprint of RL. That’s just adding 2 new teams to cities that are already represented in the NRL.

why would anybody else in Auckland support Auckland 2 when there’s already the warriors? NZ2 needs to be either Christchurch or Wellington which allows RL to enter a new market for new fans and new players not only for New Zealand but the game as a whole.

flippikat

Bench
That’s not expanding the footprint of RL. That’s just adding 2 new teams to cities that are already represented in the NRL.

why would anybody else in Auckland support Auckland 2 when there’s already the warriors? NZ2 needs to be either Christchurch or Wellington which allows RL to enter a new market for new fans and new players not only for New Zealand but the game as a whole.

Exactly. If the NRL mean what they say about minimizing impact on existing teams, they sure won't add a 2nd team in Auckland - and in fact, they have enough work cut out for themselves in this expansion phase ensuring that Brisbane 2 doesn't cannibalise Broncos & Titans supporter base.

That's another compelling reason why Perth and not NZ2 should be team 18 - Perth offers a new set of potential fans, and not other NRL club fans that will just switch over - it GROWS the pie.

Expansion should be a heartland team and a new frontier in each of the next 2 phases. Brisbane 2 & Perth this time, Adelaide & NZ2 next time.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
Exactly. If the NRL mean what they say about minimizing impact on existing teams, they sure won't add a 2nd team in Auckland - and in fact, they have enough work cut out for themselves in this expansion phase ensuring that Brisbane 2 doesn't cannibalise Broncos & Titans supporter base.

That's another compelling reason why Perth and not NZ2 should be team 18 - Perth offers a new set of potential fans, and not other NRL club fans that will just switch over - it GROWS the pie.

Expansion should be a heartland team and a new frontier in each of the next 2 phases. Brisbane 2 & Perth this time, Adelaide & NZ2 next time.
I can settle for that although the rapidly increasing population of a RL mad heartland region like south east Queensland might threaten expansion areas like Perth and Adelaide.

Expanding into rugby league heartland areas like south east Queensland is to easy and less risky than Perth and Adelaide etc for the NRL.

I can see Perth, NZ 2, Bris 2 and possibly Bris 3 entering the NRL over the next 15 years. I want to see a team in Adelaide, but I wouldn't bet on one cropping up. Adelaide is not on the ARLC'S radar and doesn't have a strong bid like Perth, plus it's much smaller.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Original western reds founding membership pack.

Attachments

• 52BDD18D-5C4B-478B-B4AF-4C2D0ECF587D.jpeg
    52BDD18D-5C4B-478B-B4AF-4C2D0ECF587D.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 01BDEE75-020B-4C25-BF45-88FF911298CC.jpeg
    01BDEE75-020B-4C25-BF45-88FF911298CC.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 36EA39EF-EB8E-4280-8764-E9470C7B5CCC.jpeg
    36EA39EF-EB8E-4280-8764-E9470C7B5CCC.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 5A58E53D-17D1-4257-BE5F-B225A294E1D5.jpeg
    5A58E53D-17D1-4257-BE5F-B225A294E1D5.jpeg