What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

tri_colours

Juniors
:D

The way the NSWRL-led ARL use Origin as a cash cow is an attack on Queensland. They're always saying the GF has to be in Sydney due to "tradition", yet they take Origin around the country even though it was traditionally played at Lang Park because QRL invented it and NSWRL didn't want it. The losers from the Sydney media said Queenslanders were stupid and crazy for wanting Origin and the idiots predicted it would die after 1 year. That's the mentality of the NSWRL and its fans.

Until recently, they would rig series in NSW's favour by having the 3rd game in Brisbane and the 2nd one in Sydney when they took a game to Adelaide, Melbourne or a new concept and Queensland only " invented it because they were sick of NSW beating them!
I've said that in the past. I think it comes down to our game basing its decisions on a) the whims of the broadcasters who provide the bulk of the game's revenue and b) Sydney selfishly controlling the scene to ensure its small and unsustainable clubs can pretend they belong in a national competition.

They seem to be doing as well as the Qld clubs at the moment.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Does WA have the same ability and opportunity ie starting with a team that will be successful? Do the WA public have the appetite for a team that will probably take years to become competitive? Is there the financial advantages? I would bet that all of this has been examined in detail over the years and the answers are in the negative.
As for Beattie. I am glad Perth Red posted some of Beattie’s statements. Classic political spin. Nothing concrete at all, just waspy BS to get a crowd and money from a SOO game in Perth.

hard to say, depends on how well set up the club is from day one, what coaches they can attract, whose off contract, how much start up cash they have, what infrastructure they have available, how much hype can be created about the new club etc etc

probably limited, there’s not many places in the world where fans will fork out their hard earned to watch their team be whipping boys every week. We don’t have to be top 4 but a team that can win around 50% of games, especially if we can make perth a fortress and have more home wins than losses will go ok. Looking the fanbase here I’d say a 15k crowd avg for a mid table team is very achievable if club is run well with marketing, game day experience etc. it’s where the Pirates brand could really be an advantage, that’s a lot of fun stuff you can do around that brand for families attending. Merch sales will be through the roof I reckon!

sometimes you have to invest in a business for long term gains. Are tv going to fall over themselves to pay more for a perth team? Probably not, however in twenty years time the comp might be a lot more valuable to sponsors and media if it is genuinely popualr in all major capital cities, that is what afl is banking on and Tbf looking at their success in revenue generation it’s hard to argue differently. You can’t really argue that nrl isn’t more valuable with Storm in it that without a melbourne club. The you have to consider the purpose of the nrl, which is to grow the game at all levels. We know having a top tier club in a region is a major stimulator of participation and supporter base. If all a perth club does is double the number of people playing RL in WA then arguably that is well worth $13mill a year nrl investment, they are spending a lot more getting a lot less in other areas.

re Beattie, yeh we’ve heard it all before for over a decade from many nrl administrators so take no stock in its value. I’m torn between giving nrl $400 of my hard earned to attend after Vlandys insults, and the fact origin is on in my backyard. Be interesting to see how ticket sales go this time without the novelty factor and with the disrespect the nrl has publicly shown to WA. There many very pssed off RL fans over here.

Last edited:

Mark B

Juniors
hard to say, depends on how well set up the club is from day one, what coaches they can attract, whose off contract, how much start up cash they have, what infrastructure they have available, how much hype can be created about the new club etc etc

probably limited, there’s not many places in the world where fans will fork out their hard earned to watch their team be whipping boys every week. We don’t have to be top 4 but a team that can win around 50% of games, especially if we can make perth a fortress and have more home wins than losses will go ok. Looking the fanbase here I’d say a 15k crowd avg for a mid table team is very achievable if club is run well with marketing, game day experience etc. it’s where the Pirates brand could really be an advantage, that’s a lot of fun stuff you can do around that brand for families attending. Merch sales will be through the roof I reckon!

sometimes you have to invest in a business for long term gains. Are tv going to fall over themselves to pay more for a perth team? Probably not, however in twenty years time the comp might be a lot more valuable to sponsors and media if it is genuinely popualr in all major capital cities, that is what afl is banking on and Tbf looking at their success in revenue generation it’s hard to argue differently. You can’t really argue that nrl isn’t more valuable with Storm in it that without a melbourne club. The you have to consider the purpose of the nrl, which is to grow the game at all levels. We know having a top tier club in a region is a major stimulator of participation and supporter base. If all a perth club does is double the number of people playing RL in WA then arguably that is well worth $13mill a year nrl investment, they are spending a lot more getting a lot less in other areas.

re Beattie, yeh we’ve heard it all before for over a decade from many nrl administrators so take no stock in its value. I’m torn between giving nrl $400 of my hard earned to attend after Vlandys insults, and the fact origin is on in my backyard. Be interesting to see how ticket sales go this time without the novelty factor and with the disrespect the nrl has publicly shown to WA. There many very pssed off RL fans over here.
All fair points. It’s a gamble that’s for sure.

Perth Red

Post Whore
All fair points. It’s a gamble that’s for sure.

Most investments are! The ones with the biggest risk tend to yield the biggest rewards.

Brisbane2 are less of a risk but there’s no guarantees there either. Who’d have thought Titans would have gone bust and had to be taken over by nrl after just a few years?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Most investments are! The ones with the biggest risk tend to yield the biggest rewards.

Brisbane2 are less of a risk but there’s no guarantees there either. Who’d have thought Titans would have gone bust and had to be taken over by nrl after just a few years?
Actually there were quite a few people warning that the GC couldn't support a club, or that the GC could support a club but they were setting it up for failure, that Michael Searle was a charlatan, that if the 2nd SEQ club couldn't be in Brisbane then it needed to be in Ipswich and not the GC, etc, etc.

Whether or not all those criticisms are/were fair I'm not sure, but broadly speaking those people were proven to be right despite being totally ignored by the broader RL community.

flippikat

Bench
Actually there were quite a few people warning that the GC couldn't support a club, or that the GC could support a club but they were setting it up for failure, that Michael Searle was a charlatan, that if the 2nd SEQ club couldn't be in Brisbane then it needed to be in Ipswich and not the GC, etc, etc.

Whether or not all those criticisms are/were fair I'm not sure, but broadly speaking those people were proven to be right despite being totally ignored by the broader RL community.

I still have this feeling that if the Titans go through a lean patch, they may be relocated to Brisbane - possibly rebranded too, maybe even sold - with a couple of lower-pulling home games in the GC each year just to keep that stadium from being a total white elephant.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I still have this feeling that if the Titans go through a lean patch, they may be relocated to Brisbane - possibly rebranded too, maybe even sold - with a couple of lower-pulling home games in the GC each year just to keep that stadium from being a total white elephant.
So long as the Suns exist the NRL can't afford to allow that to happen. Things seem to be slowly turning around at the Titans anyway.

They've still got a long way to go but positive change seems to be turning them around, their brand definitely needs a major update though.

Perth Red

Post Whore

what do you mean if they go through a lean patch? Most of their existence has been a lean patch lol. Now they have a sniff of a decent team the crowds are coming back, I can see a successful Titans avg’ing 20k again a lot quicker than most clubs.

MugaB

Coach
So long as the Suns exist the NRL can't afford to allow that to happen. Things seem to be slowly turning around at the Titans anyway.

They've still got a long way to go but positive change seems to be turning them around, their brand definitely needs a major update though.
I feel that new jersey this year has given their brand a bit of an update, its by far the best rendition of the titans look since their inception, and that heritage reversed away is pretty good too, if they add their inagural home jersey as an option too, they are well done in my eyes, they just need to stick with it for at least 3-5 years, not flop to something worse as they have been the past decade...
I reckon just a new logo would do it

The Great Dane

First Grade
I feel that new jersey this year has given their brand a bit of an update, its by far the best rendition of the titans look since their inception, and that heritage reversed away is pretty good too, if they add their inagural home jersey as an option too, they are well done in my eyes, they just need to stick with it for at least 3-5 years, not flop to something worse as they have been the past decade...
I reckon just a new logo would do it
Nah their brand is a refugee of the 00s and way too generic in the context of the NRL.

If they had balls they'd move away from blue and yellow to something unique in the NRL (maybe metallic gold and a contrasting colour like black or grey). Their logo was outdated when they launched it and could use a massive update as well.

Obviously I haven't been in a few years now, so it may have improved, but their game day experience was nothing special, same milk toast experience you get at most clubs. Like most NRL clubs their marketing seems to be borderline non-existent as well.

So there's a lot of potential for improvement at the Titans that could make the world of difference if done properly.

MugaB

Coach
Nah their brand is a refugee of the 00s and way too generic in the context of the NRL.

If they had balls they'd move away from blue and yellow to something unique in the NRL (maybe metallic gold and a contrasting colour like black or grey). Their logo was outdated when they launched it and could use a massive update as well.

Obviously I haven't been in a few years now, so it may have improved, but their game day experience was nothing special, same milk toast experience you get at most clubs. Like most NRL clubs their marketing seems to be borderline non-existent as well.

So there's a lot of potential for improvement at the Titans that could make the world of difference if done properly.
The Dolphins bid you "really" like, is going with the metallic gold, and as much as i like the idea of grey or black, the GC giants in 88 were already that color, not sure they wanna go back there... but a black/grey and yellow team is a great combo, our jersey at panthers last year had all that

The Great Dane

First Grade
The Dolphins bid you "really" like, is going with the metallic gold, and as much as i like the idea of grey or black, the GC giants in 88 were already that color, not sure they wanna go back there... but a black/grey and yellow team is a great combo, our jersey at panthers last year had all that
Chances are that the Dolphins 'gold' will be yellow, not metallic gold. They'll also only use it sparingly, they also don't own it, and it makes more sense in the GC context.

Also nobody is suggesting the Titans take cues from the Giants brand so I don't know where that came from.

What I'm suggesting is that the Titans should have had the Vegas Golden Knights brand a decade before they did-
1864_0.jpeg

tri_colours

Juniors
Not sure if you;ve read this ,

The NRL must consult its fans about radical expansion plan: Voss
By SEN 7 hours ago
GettyImages-1305228844.jpg

Reports emerged on Tuesday night that the NRL has already spoken to a handful of clubs about their radical expansion ideas.

The Sydney Morning Herald are reporting that the league is aiming to add two teams by 2026 – a second Brisbane side and either a second team in New Zealand or a Perth franchise.

Additionally, the NRL has pitched a proposal to clubs that would see the competition split into two conferences – a Sydney based conference and a conference for the remainder of the teams.

The idea behind the conference system is to increase more rivalries, with all teams in the Sydney conference playing each other twice twice per year, and playing the remaining sides once in a 25 round season.

This would guarantee that the Roosters, Rabbitohs, Eels, Bulldogs, Tigers, Panthers, Dragons, Sharks and Sea Eagles would play each other both home and away each season.

Following the news, SEN host Andrew Voss detailed his thoughts on expansion and implored the NRL to listen to the fans’ opinion before making any final calls.

“Expansion in the NRL - warning, this is not a drill,” Voss said on SEN 1170 Breakfast.

“After years of talk and rumour, the NRL will be expanding despite concerns we don’t have enough talent to spread around the competition that’s got more teams.

“I’ve never been against expansion, let me put that on the record, in fact I welcome the certainty now that we’re putting in place. This is what we’re doing, this is where we’re headed.

“I feel it’s been unfair to lead interested parties along with the idea that they could be coming into the NRL sometime relatively soon.

“On that note, the news today regarding where we are headed in regards to 2026, or by 2026. There will be two new teams.

“There will be a second Brisbane team. That’s a lock. For the second side perhaps the favourite is a second side out of New Zealand for 2026, but there is still the possibility of a Perth team, I’m a little torn there.

“I’m a little unsure where we should be headed if they’re the prime candidate for the 18th club.

“I’ve learnt this in my time covering the game and this includes years when we’ve added sides, the big year being 1995.

“If you weren’t aware, we added four new clubs in 1995.

“We had the Western Reds, we had the North Queensland Cowboys, the South Queensland Crushers and the Auckland Warriors. They all came on board at the same time.

“Expansion can only work with a support of the existing clubs. The game has to be united.

“If new clubs are to work, more than likely some concessions need to be made in the short term for them to be a success rather than a burden.

“This is a point that has never gone down well in a sport that has a habit of eating its own.

“With rugby league clubs, the track record of doing things for the greater good of the sport isn’t overly convincing.

“The saying is a chain can only be as strong as its weakest link.

“If country rugby league falls by the wayside and junior numbers don’t increase, then forget about expansion being sustained.

“We’ve got to cover all bases here, Peter V’Landys, Andrew Abdo and co. You have your hands full.

“The idea of the conference system is certainly worthy of open debate and discussion, and I would hope that the view of an important stakeholder – the fan – is viewed and considered.

“Now is the time to have your say. The future of the game depends on it, the NRL needs you, the fan.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/04...t-its-fans-about-radical-expansion-plan-voss/ - more

Perth Red

Post Whore
I get the sense Vlandys wants Auckland2 and Beattie would rather see Perth. Be interesting to see where the other commissioners sit. Cumins did say he was going to start lobbying them all individually after the latest Vlandys rebuke

When asked if Perth was still in the expansion race, Beattie said "No decision has been made about that either.

"They've got a good local competition over there [in Perth] and they're obviously interested in having another team and all of those things need to be considered.

"We've said very clearly though and I don't want to be misunderstood on this, the next team, the 17th team will be in Queensland, we've made that absolutely clear and that decision will be made mid-year."
NRL 2021: Conference system, expansion raised with clubs - NRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
Shows there are plenty of rich backers willing to get behind a perth team. Sht name though and I would have reservations about Sage given his failures with Perth Glory.

In an exclusive for Wide World of Sports, The NRL Economist reveals the name chosen by the wealthy investors of a Perth-based expansion bid.

While the race for the NRL's 17th license heats up in Brisbane, another expansion group is watching with interest, keen to invest $30 million in order to launch a new team in Western Australia.

Successful businessman Tony Sage has registered the name West Coast Quokkas with the expectation that the NRL will inevitably need to expand the competition into Western Australia. The bid team also registered Perth Quokkas and Western Quokkas as alternative options.

The entrepreneur, who owns A-League club Perth glory and previously played rugby league for Port Hacking High School, is a huge Cronulla Sharks fan. His interest in launching a new team started years ago, having previously met with former NRL CEO David Gallop. He believes his bid team are best placed to grow the game in the west.

"The time zone is perfect for super Saturday, with a 6.30pm kick-off here being prime time over in the East. The synergies with the Perth Glory and the stadium are perfect," Sage said

The tycoon previously set up a sporting structure called West Coast Sports and hoped he could also get the Perth Wildcats on board.

WA's state Premier Mark McGowan supports the idea of expanding into Perth, willing to work with the governing body on making it happen.

Likewise, Sage is also keen to be involved in helping develop the code, which announced its intention to take its showpiece State of Origin event to Perth again in 2022. He believes an 18th franchise is crucial for the game.

"It would be a huge benefit not only for ex-pat fans but more importantly, help the grassroots which is not gaining ground in WA. It's not the National Rugby League without teams in Perth and Adelaide," Sage said.

The choice of the Quokkas mascot is interesting. Many have proposed a Perth franchise adopt the old North Sydney Bears colours and mascot as the West Coast Bears. The Quokkas syndicate refuses to entertain this idea, believing they need to create their own history with a completely new name.

While the quokka is indeed distinctive, the iconic wallaby species was actually also selected as Perth's official mascot for the T20 Cricket World Cup (the men's tournament was cancelled last year due to COVID-19).

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-ec...vfMo5TjaM5J2y7sBP2_QAaxWmmMAs2f1TGYUjHCY43-mo

toomuchsoup

Juniors

I had similar thoughts a couple of weeks ago about the Titans ditching blue. Find a nice shade of gold that is somewhere in the middle of broncos yellow and crushers mustard, make that their main colour. Maybe keep navy just for minor details in a similar way to how the Storm use yellow, but that combo is a bit ‘crusher-ish’.

Although their home jersey is the best they’ve had in a long time, I still don’t love it. I think light blue and yellow are a difficult colour combo to get right