What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
But youve taken the from Balmain, denying the tigers to do so, i get the tigers are inept, but instead of them being able to grab a prospective thunderbolt, or this one balmain junior, the storm has them instead....
A bit simplistic, theres a lot more kids playing in the heartlands than there is nrl u19 club spaces In those cities. Then your making an assumption that the tigers would have picked that kid up if Storm hadnt, then your making the assumption that the tigers development system is as good as storms and that kid would have been same quality if he’d stayed at tigers. Looking at the tigers first team I have my doubts that is the case!

dont get me wrong I think the games done a terrible job in growing junior participation in many cities and especially in places like perth and melbourne. If arlc had done it’s job over the last decade we’d see a lot more melbourne and Perth kids in various nrl club systems by now.

MugaB

Coach
A bit simplistic, theres a lot more kids playing in the heartlands than there is nrl u19 club spaces In those cities. Then your making an assumption that the tigers would have picked that kid up if Storm hadnt, then your making the assumption that the tigers development system is as good as storms and that kid would have been same quality if he’d stayed at tigers. Looking at the tigers first team I have my doubts that is the case!

dont get me wrong I think the games done a terrible job in growing junior participation in many cities and especially in places like perth and melbourne. If arlc had done it’s job over the last decade we’d see a lot more melbourne and Perth kids in various nrl club systems by now.
Well yeah in perth, but not in Melbourne, which is why im ok with what they're doing, but if my simplistic analogy was swapping the balmian kid going to the roosters (instead of Melbourne) then you get my point

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well yeah in perth, but not in Melbourne, which is why im ok with what they're doing, but if my simplistic analogy was swapping the balmian kid going to the roosters (instead of Melbourne) then you get my point
I’ve seen about 25 perth kids pre covid get picked up by nrl clubs. some have made it to first grade, some not yet, some never will. None have been real stars yet. Waqa blake probably the longest serving first grader who came out pirates sg ball team. With better systems, more kids playing and improved coaching there’s no reason that 25 couldn’t be a lot more. be it for a perth club or for other clubs. The massive problem we have right now is nrlwa funding has been cut so the sg ball program has been abandoned alongside a resurgent union with twiggy funding jnr union $1million a year. Any good rugby kids are going to union at 15 now not league.

I like what south perth is doing in linking with Raiders. 3 of the best south perth jnrs each year get to go over to canberra for training and opportunity to showcase their talents. I’d love to see every nrlwa club doing it. A simple low cost way to get wa jnr talent in the shop window.

I was hoping jackson topine at bulldogs may become our best ever jnr to make it in nrl but he hasn’t kicked on yet like I thought he would. He’s still only 21 so got time yet.

Last edited:

If there's one thing we've learnt from the Storm it's that the NSWRL and QRL are very unprofessional. News Ltd used their business acumen to create an efficient model that gets the most out of the players in their system. Every other club has been lazy and complacent. It's why Melbourne has dominated for 20 years.

Broncos are owned by News Ltd, but theie football department has been run by lazy rugby league personalities. Murdoch doesn't really care for Queenslanders and sees the Broncos as a means of selling newspapers in Brisbane.

TheRam

Coach
If NRLVic got decent funding then we'd see more Storm players from Melbourne. Thats the problem with the game, people think another NRl club will sort out grassroots, it wont. For all Greenbergs faults he could see we needed significant investment in grass roots and upped funding from $59mill to $88mill.
Since he's left, post covid, we've seen it drop down to $63mill in 2021 and $70mill last year under Abdo.

And your point is?

What makes you think that these new areas we stick teams in the Gov is going to fund grass roots. The NRL will certainly not.

TheRam

Coach
We have 2 leech clubs in the NRL, Sydney Roosters and Melbourne Storm, the best part about the storm is that they take from sunny coast and other areas and develop to their style, yes they aren't growing a junior presence as much as the other clubs, but atleast they aren't taking marquees away from the clubs that produce them, generally theyve been able to grab unwanted or cusp/fringe marquees and turned them into superstars... for a city with the population of Sydney, im happy to let their junior base slide, they aren't too much of a leech and support the league in other ways.... whats the roosters excuse?

True that, but if Melbourne never really get their junior development going, then they end up just being a TV(ratings-revenue) team and nothing much else. What happens when they have a few lean years or they drop off a cliff quality player wise and stop winning?

There is no savings in the bank. They will be dross in every sense of the word. Juniors means kids are actually interested and playing your sport and they become stuck on supporters for life. Fans are fickle fair weather friends that dump you at first sign of trouble or failure.

Look at the empty seats at the Roosters home games even with the best stadium in the league for their regular games. The oldest club, but no fans. That's what you get if you can't cultivate a junior base and the knock on affect of a supporters base.

Melbourne needs/must be better then that if we want Victorians to really get into RL. Not talking about replacing AFL, but valuing RL enough to care and be real supporters, not just the big games or when they are winning everything. It is a whole city for one team. Look at the Swans, year after year, good season or bad, they average over 20-25k and produce juniors from Sydney/NSW. That is what the Storm should of been working towards, not just picking the easy fruit from other States.

Lost years and behind the eight ball now. With the Dolphins coming in and Bellamy moving on, it will be even harder now to scout out and get the young players from QLD that they used to do. I fear for Melbourne in the next 3-5 years and onwards. They could really become an anchor team that will find it very hard to recapture their former glory. They didn't make hay while the sun shined.

TheRam

Coach
They are not alone. Look at Bulldogs. Loads of pokie money, big jnr catchment. Still have to buy up from other clubs to try and win a game. Tigers same. Its not like most clubs aren't trying to sign other clubs established players. Sharks finally won a premiership buying 3/4 of their spine from other clubs.
If you look at most clubs starting 17's then look at how many of those players debuted for that club, thats a much better indicator of whose doing a good job producing first graders.

The Dogs have money yes, but big junior catchment, not. They are being squeezed. They have a modest catchment. The big ones in Sydney are, Penrith, Parra, Cronulla and Wests.

Perth Red

Post Whore
True that, but if Melbourne never really get their junior development going, then they end up just being a TV(ratings-revenue) team and nothing much else. What happens when they have a few lean years or they drop off a cliff quality player wise and stop winning?

There is no savings in the bank. They will be dross in every sense of the word. Juniors means kids are actually interested and playing your sport and they become stuck on supporters for life. Fans are fickle fair weather friends that dump you at first sign of trouble or failure.

Look at the empty seats at the Roosters home games even with the best stadium in the league for their regular games. The oldest club, but no fans. That's what you get if you can't cultivate a junior base and the knock on affect of a supporters base.

Melbourne needs/must be better then that if we want Victorians to really get into RL. Not talking about replacing AFL, but valuing RL enough to care and be real supporters, not just the big games or when they are winning everything. It is a whole city for one team. Look at the Swans, year after year, good season or bad, they average over 20-25k and produce juniors from Sydney/NSW. That is what the Storm should of been working towards, not just picking the easy fruit from other States.

Lost years and behind the eight ball now. With the Dolphins coming in and Bellamy moving on, it will be even harder now to scout out and get the young players from QLD that they used to do. I fear for Melbourne in the next 3-5 years and onwards. They could really become an anchor team that will find it very hard to recapture their former glory. They didn't make hay while the sun shined.
Out of interest what is the registered player numbers by area for each club? Interested to know what the target for NRLVic is that makes Melbourne Storm worthy lol

AFL has invested hundreds of millions in Sydney, NRL hasn't in Melbourne.

TheRam

Coach
Out of interest what is the registered player numbers by area for each club? Interested to know what the target for NRLVic is that makes Melbourne Storm worthy lol

AFL has invested hundreds of millions in Sydney, NRL hasn't in Melbourne.

I don't have them on hand mate.

Panthers are around 8000 players
Parra around 6000(28 clubs) more then Penrith apparently and Cronulla similar if that gives you an indication of what the biggest clubs have.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't have them on hand mate.

Panthers are around 8000 players
Parra around 6000(28 clubs) and Cronulla similar if that gives you and indication of what the biggest clubs have.
ok so Melbourne and Perth at around 4000 are not far off after all if they are the biggest?

Last count WA had 26 clubs and 4100 registered players

TheRam

Coach
ok so Melbourne and Perth at around 4000 are not far off after all if they are the biggest?

Last count WA had 26 clubs and 4100 registered players

Has Melbourne actually really got 4000 juniors? I find that very hard to believe. I mean proper clubs playing real tackle RL in full on comps covering all age groups and levels? How many actual clubs would that be, do you know?

Do you know or does anyone?

That is brilliant for Perth though and a great solid foundation to start from when you finally get a team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Has Melbourne actually really got 4000 juniors? I find that very hard to believe. I mean proper clubs playing real tackle RL in full on comps covering all age groups and levels? How many actual clubs would that be, do you know?

Do you know or does anyone?

That is brilliant for Perth though and a great solid foundation to start from when you finally get a team.
Who knows, it’s all very wooly now NRL talk about “participation“ number not registered players. The WA 4100 has been stated as registered full contact players, male and female.

Dragonwest

Juniors
Who knows, it’s all very wooly now NRL talk about “participation“ number not registered players. The WA 4100 has been stated as registered full contact players, male and female.
Does that include Harmony 9's blow-ins from Rugby for the w.e?

greenBV4

Bench
Look at the Swans, year after year, good season or bad, they average over 20-25k and produce juniors from Sydney/NSW. That is what the Storm should of been working towards, not just picking the easy fruit from other States.
Exactly, but its not the Swans, its the AFL, and how much does the AFL spend in Sydney schools programs? How many development officers?

Now compare that funding to what NRL Vic get and do

I'm not sure how people expect a single club with equal NRL funding to fund and run an entire state's worth of grassroots football, what other club does this?

Grassroots football is for the state leagues and any failings of Victoria (and other affiliate states) can be placed at the foot of the ARLC/NRL/NRLVic

However on the bright side it does seem to be finally on the rise, it will be great when the state RL community centre opens up and hopefully more gov funded projects continue after that

TheRam

Coach
Exactly, but its not the Swans, its the AFL, and how much does the AFL spend in Sydney schools programs? How many development officers?

I'm not sure how people expect a single club with equal NRL funding to fund and run an entire state's worth of grassroots football, what other club does this?

Grassroots football is for the state leagues and any failings of Victoria (and other affiliate states) can be placed at the foot of the ARLC/NRL/NRLVic

However on the bright side it does seem to be finally on the rise, it will be great when the state RL community centre opens up and hopefully more gov funded projects continue after that

Isn't the state RL community centre in the middle of nowhere? And sure junior development should have been finance and supported by the numerous governing bodies, but you would think that the Storm would have been spending around $1m a year on juniors like the big development clubs do, would have been more strategically and produced some worthy fruit. Thus far, they have produce sweet F all.

Wb1234

Immortal

Stop talking about afl lmao

hypocrite much ?

Latest posts