What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Goddo

Bench
They won't do anything official until they know more about the next TV deal, the independent commission, likely outcome of AFL's TV deal and the anti siphoning law changes. They will also want to wait and see the outcomes of the NSW and Federal elections and play party politics to see what the game can get.

I am glad the NRL won't make a decision until the middle of 2011, it shows they are trying to get the house in order before "moving forward".

That said, you can pencil in Central Coast and Perth for 2013

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thought I'd create a single thread for those interested in how the WA Reds bid is going. I'll keep it updated with news as it happens!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Big Dell backs WA Reds Bid:

Rugby league legend Wendell Sailor believes Perth deserves to have a side in an expanded National Rugby League competition.

The flamboyant dual rugby international, who has played both codes in Perth, said the WA Rugby League should be given a "fair crack".

The NRL is expected to expand to 16 teams in 2013 and the impetus for a WA Rugby League franchise is growing with NRL chief executive David Gallop expressing his support for a new WA Reds side.

Sailor, who will be in Perth for today's nib Stadium season launch, has now thrown his weight behind the bid.

"I'm all for expansion and would love to see a side in Perth. There is a need for a side in Perth and they should get a fair crack," he said.

He believes there is enough talent in Australia for two more sides, that expansion would stop the player drain to Europe and would attract players from the UK.

"We've got the best competition in the world here and we need to make the most of it," he said.
He also played for Shellharbour against the WA Reds in the Jim Beam Cup as he began his comeback to rugby league ands the WA Rugby League started their campaign for an NRL side.

"To have that kind of commitment, putting a team in that competition, shows there is a real desire for a side," he said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/other/7686890/league-legend-sailor-backs-perths-nrl-push/

Perth Red

Post Whore
WA Reds Jnr to make Toyota Cup debut

After his signing from the WA Reds SG Ball side earlier this year, Curtis Rona has earned a call up for the Sydney Roosters under 20 team in their Toyota Cup clash tomorrow night against Cronulla Sharks.
Its great news for Curtis and WA and further proof of the system we have entered into providing a pathway for our young players.

CurtisRona153220.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
WA Reds 2013 Bid gets more financial backing:

Innovative Hair Loss Solutions, one of our new sponsors is behind the drive for NRL in 2013. We thank them for their support and the backing of this new initiative.
We recommend everyone to visit the IHLS site, take a look around and show you care.
www.ihls.com.au
Go down to the NRL in 2013 logo and register your vote now!

IHLSlogo-orange154705.jpg

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach

nnovative Hair Loss Solutions, one of our new sponsors is behind the drive for NRL in 2013. We thank them for their support and the backing of this new initiative.
We recommend everyone to visit the IHLS site, take a look around and show you care.
www.ihls.com.au

Looks like your first recruits may include Michael Weyman, Luke Bailey, Maddog McDougal, Grant Rovelli and Rhys Wesser. Better get Ian Schubert on to it if that's the case.

The West Australian Rugby League (WARL) says it would support any decision by the game's administrators to base a team in Perth.
The WARL administration is determined to bid for a franchise if the competition is expanded.
WARL chief executive John Sackson says while Western Australia want its own team, any approach to relocate a Sydney club to Perth would be welcome.
"We would have to consider that... if that was the case we would certainly hope that sort of offer would be accompanied by substantial support funding," he said.
"We're very very keen to have an NRL team again based out of Perth and representing Western Australia in the NRL."

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08/05/2974617.htm?site=sport&section=rugbyleague[/QUOTE]

The WARL chief exec. has welcomed the idea of relocation. Does that affect the REDS bid? Would the Reds bid consider taking on a Sydney team? Sharks?

Perth Red

Post Whore
No, no,no!

I guess if it was the only way then I could live with it but I doubt I would follow them with them same fervour as our own team, at least for a while till i got used to them! There is a danger given alot of the current 15K RL fans that will turn up for a game already support an NRl team and by default won't like the relocated team and not be behind them for the long haul. Probably the same concern re the Bears and if fans in Gosford will switch alliegances.

My biggest concern with this is what if the going gets tough in perth or the teams own home suddenly looks better, would they just up and move back. Having been well and truly shafted once I want to see a team that stays around more than a few years and that my kids can grow up supporting, not a team where the constant under rumblings are of relocation back to Sydney.

Also one of the strengths of the Reds bids is the NRl team will be owned by the WARL, a unique situation that would ensure RL was developed at all levels in WA not just everything focussed on NRL level. A Sydney team would probably want to keep its juniors and NSW cup team in Sydney which doesn't really help the game in WA.

Overall I would much much rather see the WA Reds than the WA Sharks but as I said if it was that or nothing then so be it.

dimitri

First Grade
I think this would work better with a dead club eg Newtown

WA Jets
Have feeder team in NSWRL as well as WA.
Instant Support in NSW
Instant support from any expat Newtown supporters in WA
More likely to be accepted from fans of other clubs in WA
Proud history, heritage, colours, logo etc

dimitri

First Grade
I think this would work better with a dead club eg Newtown

WA Jets
Have feeder team in NSWRL as well as WA.
Instant Support in NSW
Instant support from any expat Newtown supporters in WA
More likely to be accepted from fans of other clubs in WA
Proud history, heritage, colours, logo etc

Plus another feel-good story for the code.

In saying that, the Reds are also a club that was unfairly culled - so makes sense to bring them back - WA REDS!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ghosts of ’95 don’t scare Perth

Of the four teams which joined the premiership in 995, only the Warriors and North Queensland are left. But just when the Perth Reds looked certain to have life breathed back into them in time for 2013, they suddenly fined themselves confronted with the ghost of the long lost fourth member of the class of ’95, the South Queensland Crushers.
Sure, the Ipswich NRL bid which surfaced last week is not going to be called the Crushers or play in black and gold. There’ll be no St John or Garrick. But although the idea of a second team at Suncorp Stadium is far from new, it could be seductive for the safety first minded members of the new Independent Commission.
“I certainly think it’s going to be challenging for them – that South East Queensland corridor is pretty crowded” says Reds CEO John Sackson when asked about the bid being assembled by the Ipswich Jets. “Especially when you consider they will have Big Brother – the Broncos- right next door. It will be commercially very competitive.”
But Sackson says the Reds aren’t spooked. “We’re happy with the way our bid is progressing” he insists. “I think when you look at new markets for television, is a new team in South East Queensland going to convert more viewers to Rugby League? Where as there is no doubt a team in Perth would expand the total television market for Rugby League. We have a commitment from the government for a $83 million in upgrades for NIB stadium and we’ve had a soft launch for our membership drive which is about to become a lot more sophisticated. We’ve got another meeting with the Department of Sport and Recreation on September 16th and we are in talks with the Dragons to play another pre-season game here next year. Provisionally it will be Feb 12th against Melbourne. Souths want to play two games back to back over here and there is a proposal in with WA events corp for next year.”
The Reds hope to have their final bid document at the NRL by March next year.
“We are talking to some very big companies about sponsorship- we know we have to amass a fair bit of capital” Sackson says. “It is all going to come down to the Commission, which we are told will be in place by November. Those first few meetings of the Commission are going to be very important for us.” – Steve Mascord. Rugby League Week

Perth Red

Post Whore

Innovative Hair Loss Solutions, one of our new sponsors is behind the drive for NRL in 2013. We thank them for their support and the backing of this new initiative.
www.ihls.com.au

Advert in todays West Australian featuring the Bid and urging sports fans to visit the hair loss website to support the bid!

Perth Red

Post Whore
As wellas the ad above running in the paper there is also radio ads being run including during prime time.