What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

The Engineers Room

First Grade
"Their logic is twisted. They have the philosophy of 'if they build it, the supporters will come' when their plans should be about getting sound supporter base first and then building the team. Greater Western Sydney AFL is doomed to fail because in the last few years the AFL have disenfranchised most of their potential fan base in this area by their actions."

Its true - they do have the build it and they will come philosophy. But that is a good thing. Who on earth wanted an AFL team in Sydney in 1982 - but look at them now!!! It was the same with the Melbourne Storm - there was a build it and they will come philosphy and now they have more members than most sydney nrl clubs.

The Sydney media is a bunch of AFL lovers. They talk it up, they give away free tickets, they give it more coverage than it deserves and the result is it becomes an acceptable thing to support. Some people are morons and if the sports guy talks about is first and talks it up on the news they will begin to believe it is better.

eagles4eva

First Grade
The Sydney media is a bunch of AFL lovers. They talk it up, they give away free tickets, they give it more coverage than it deserves and the result is it becomes an acceptable thing to support. Some people are morons and if the sports guy talks about is first and talks it up on the news they will begin to believe it is better.

That will be the fumbleballs major marketing drive, free tickets.. 10,000 tickets given out for free then spead that crap all over the media.. look at us so many fans attending..

Perth Red

Post Whore
IF they get 15-20K fans, without affecting the Swans crowds, they will consider it a success and we will have some egg on our face on this board. We shall see if there millions can buythat many fans I guess.

TBF the Swans and Lions both get 20-30k crowds, FTA and loads of media covergae in their respective cities, got decent stadiums and have survived for two decades+. I would think we would consider that succesful expansion of we had the same in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth?

ps way to resurrect a WA thread! :)

smithie

Juniors
Here is how I rank the suggested bids:

1. Perth
2. Brisbane No.2
3. NZ - Sth Island
4. Adelaide
5. Central Coast
6. Central QLD
7. Ipswich/Logan
8. Sunshine Coast
9. PNG

Jankuloski

Juniors
This thread made my morning :) Union franchise failing and ours on the rise ... Now for our soccer team to peddle yours in the WC so you stick to playing league and everything will contribute to the future world domination of the 13 man game .. buahahahahaaa..

GO REDS! And to a lesser extenct the PNGNRL bid...

Billythekid

First Grade
IF they get 15-20K fans, without affecting the Swans crowds, they will consider it a success and we will have some egg on our face on this board. We shall see if there millions can buythat many fans I guess.

TBF the Swans and Lions both get 20-30k crowds, FTA and loads of media covergae in their respective cities, got decent stadiums and have survived for two decades+. I would think we would consider that succesful expansion of we had the same in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth?

I'm not so sure about that. The swans and to a lesser extent the lions ratings are abysmal. I think the AFL will have a lot more trouble tricking the networks into showing prime time AFL into Sydney and Brisbane after how much money seven and ten have lost doing exactly that.

The swans crowds and ratings are dropping (their ratings have dropped heaps) so lets wait a while before we call it a success.

The storm don't yet have FTA coverage but at least they are on the up. Crowds are going up, they finally have a fantastic stadium and the NRL has also seen decent ratings in Melbourne for GF's and SOO. I think we will be able to get FTA coverage soon. The storm already provide great ratings on fox regardless.

Loudstrat

Coach
Are the Swans completely self sufficient yet (meaning - get the same deal as say Footscray or Richmond?) or are they still somewhat propped up?

dimitri

First Grade
Are the Swans completely self sufficient yet (meaning - get the same deal as say Footscray or Richmond?) or are they still somewhat propped up?

Not sure about how much propping up they get

However NSW AFL - spends millions on promoting matches and juniors for the Swans and the new GWS Team.

Both the Swans and Lions continue to get huge "cost of living allowances" in their salary caps to get players to move to sydney/brisbane

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think people mistake the money AFL puts into NSW for promotion, development, jnr's, schools, Auskick etc and the extra $'s the Swans get to survive and remain competitive. They spend heaps on the former and less and less on the latter. Swans have 30k members and last year made a $1.5mill profit (not sure what the AFL contribution to them was though)

I would love the NRL to spend a fraction of that on our developing areas!

Last edited:

Talanexor

Juniors
Big thumbs up to Perth. It adds so much more than another QLD/NSW team.

You expose league to a potential market of 2.2 million, get an upgraded TV rights deal and a favourable time difference (hoping they get lots of Sunday afternoon games).

There is already a decent grassroots competition and a few top-flight players from WA in the NRL already.

Conversely, most people from NSW and QLD who are interested in league already support a team.

If they were smart, they'd co-ordinate with the Western Force and share a stadium. This means that people not interested in AFL or soccer will be able to get their rugby fix every week (whether of the league or union variety) and facilities costs can be shared.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They will be sharing a stadium. ME Bank stadium will be home to Force, Glory and, hopefully, Reds. Govt announced a new $80mill main stand to commence work next year and proposed another $180mill to redevlop the rest of the ground in the future. The ground is currently co owned between a local town council and a private owner but State Govt is trying to get ownership to justify spending $260 mill of tax payers money on it.

Havign said that the idea of a sporting precinct at Burswood has reared its head again and if this gets the nod i wouldn't be surprised to see ME stadium development canned and a new stadium built alongside an AFL stadium at Burswood. That would be the best outcome for the city, if we had a Govt with the vision to do it.

Central Coast BEARS are official front runners for expansion. Argue all you want. That is directly from the horses mouth. In saying that, go the REDS!

Last edited:

dimitri

First Grade
gallop quoted as saying:

South Sydney hosts the Storm in Perth on Saturday night and Gallop said it was the perfect opportunity for WA to prove they had an adequate rugby league fan base to support a team of their own if the NRL expanded in 2013.

"In about 12 months' time when we've got a clearer picture of our media rights deal going forward we'll certainly be seriously looking at expansion and the bottom line is Perth's got a lot going for it," Gallop said.

"I guess Saturday night is an opportunity for people to vote with their feet and show us that they have got an interest in rugby league.
"Obviously the (NSW) Central Coast has a lot going for it as well.
"We've got a potential bid from Rockhampton but they don't have a ground at the moment.

"We've even got some enthusiastic people up in Port Moresby but if you line them all up at the moment you'd have to say the Central Coast and Perth are the lead contenders.""

Loudstrat

Coach
gallop quoted as saying:
...... you'd have to say the Central Coast and Perth are the lead contenders.

That's in cement. Despite the ramblings of the Sydney haters - that's been it in a nutshell since the Titans came in. And it's Perth's best chance. The NRL won't have a 17 team comp just to accommodate Gosford, and there is not another bid around that is anywhere near ready - and won't be for years.

Brutus

Referee
Well good. Stop farting about Gallop and announce these teams now!! It may just help the upcoming tv deal.

rwaite

Juniors
In my mind The Reds have got to be first pick for the next team entered. As for the 18th team if entered (as two entries would be preferable) I would be tossing up between a second NZ team or another QLD team, however I'm not sure where a team from either location is situated bid wise?

I agree with that. WA Reds should be first pick.

Central Coast and Central Qld are the next strongest bids.

Though I'm a Queenslander and would love a 4th QLD team I would prefer to see WA and Central Coast than Central Coast and Central Qld.

To be a truly national competition we need a team based in Perth.

dimitri

First Grade
I agree with that. WA Reds should be first pick.

Central Coast and Central Qld are the next strongest bids.

Though I'm a Queenslander and would love a 4th QLD team I would prefer to see WA and Central Coast than Central Coast and Central Qld.

To be a truly national competition we need a team based in Perth.

i agree