What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
What are the Pirates going to change there colours to given the Dolphins are about to take your proposed ones?
IF it ever came to it then I suppose we would go with black and yellow with a bit of red. The nod of the current colours to the old reds colours will remain I suspect. No idea what colours we’d use if Sage wins the bid and the Western Quokkas got in!

Nuke

Staff member
I can't read that article, but previous ones over the years coming from the likes of Laurie Puddy and other former Western Reds officials, while talking up the idea of a return of a Perth team to the NRL, have had nothing to do with the current bid, which is being run by NRLWA. They have, in the past, seemingly disregarded everything the West Coast Pirates bid have done over the last 15 or so years.

In a few years' time when expansion is being spoken about again (this time open to all markets and bids, not just Brisbane) and Perth is highlighted as a genuine chance, I can see two bids coming for a Perth team: WC Pirates and another one (and I don't even know if the Perth Quokkas idea is even related to that other one ... so maybe even THREE Perth bids ... but I doubt that).

ReddFelon

Juniors
I would prefer the bid to be the Western Reds only because I was a Reds fan as a kid. My family helped both the Western Reds and Western Force bids as corporate sponsors. Plus I still have my Steeden with the Red Kangaroo on it.

Hartwood

Juniors
It comes 24 years after the Perth-based Western Reds’ sudden demise and just a week after the Redcliffe-based Dolphins were admitted as the NRL’s 17th franchise.

News Corp can reveal WA bid boss, Laurie Puddy, the inaugural Reds chairman, has met ARLC chairman Peter V’landys about Perth becoming the NRL’s 18th franchise.

“It’s a no-brainer,” said former Reds marquee signing, Mark Geyer.

In an exclusive interview with The Daily Telegraph, Puddy outlined how and why Perth should be rugby league’s next expansion franchise.

WHY PERTH

Puddy claimed the team would be known as the Western Reds and play at HBF Stadium, previously known as Perth Oval, and home of the Perth Glory A-League side, while blockbusters could be moved to the 60,000-seat Optus Stadium. He even predicted his club would attract home crowds of 20,000.

“The only thing that has changed since the Western Reds is the desire from the NRL to say: ‘Let’s do Perth again’. I can’t understand why the hierarchy doesn’t see it,” he said. “It would make it a national competition and the two-hour time change makes sense for broadcasters.

“Souths go over there on a regular basis. Manly, Canterbury. They know the crowds they can pull – 20,000-plus. They get 5000 to 10,000 more people at Perth than they would do at a home game.

“Back in 1995, the population of WA was about 1.3 million. The population of Perth today is nearly three million.

“We had 24,000 people at our first game (in 1995) and averaged around 15,400 thereafter, and that was playing at the WACA, which is a cricket ground. “I have business contacts and colleagues sitting in Perth waiting for something to happen. All they say is: “Laurie, when is it going to happen?’ Support for the game isn’t in question. Why wouldn’t Perth be a success? We have done it before.

“Some experts are talking about playing in places like PNG. That’s offensive.

“If we couldn’t get 20,000 a game then I’m a bad judge. Back in 1994-95, we were inundated with support from sponsors.

“I have had a meeting with Peter (V’landys). There was nothing to come of it, although we agreed to meet again. That hasn’t transpired yet with Covid and, of course, he has had his hands full. I respect that.

“What we have to do first is get in front of Peter again and Andrew (Abdo, NRL CEO) and have a serious discussion about Western Australia.”

ADMISSION DATE

Puddy was adamant he and his bid team could build the entire club inside two years.

“It would take us two years,” he said. “It took us two years last time and it would take us two years again. You’d want (entry) in 2024.

“I would drive it (the bid) but you might find there are other people in Perth who would want to have a crack too. The answer is we need to get a team into Perth.

“I’ve talked to the WA Government and they would open their arms to us and help in any way to get us back and get us a ground. They would talk to us about how we could develop our own high performance centre.

“I was at the (2018) State of Origin in Perth, there were 60,000 people there. And you know the thing that amazed me?

“The amount of people walking into the ground wearing Western Reds gear. It was amazing. That should tell the hierarchy that there is a demand for rugby league at that level in Perth.

“Why would you want to change (the Reds name)? Why come up with another name when the people in Perth still relate to the Reds?”

Pressed on whether a club could be ready and accepted by 2024, Puddy said: “Absolutely, absolutely.”

BRING IT ON: MG

Geyer was the king of Perth during the Western Reds tenure. He now wants rugby league to head west again.

“I’m biased but it’s a no-brainer,” Geyer said. “If you want it to be a truly National Rugby League then we have to be national.

“We can’t just be up the eastern seaboard. Now is the time to strike. Let’s delve into this. I think it would be mega if they did it, it would be awesome. “They’ve got (businessman) ‘Twiggy’ Forrest over there. He loves his sport. They need a code over there other than AFL. I have had thousands of messages from people from Perth saying: ‘C’mon, think about us’.

“The difference in time is good as well for television, that’s a big tick so let’s go to Perth. It’s time to go back, it’s the Reds baby, let’s go. I dare say if Super League didn’t come along then we’d still be there.”

PAST HISTORY

The Reds’ death came after Super League and the ARL merged clubs into a 20-team competition known as the NRL. Perth officials felt they were victims of a war out of their control.

“We have to clear up some misconceptions – the Western Reds didn’t fail,” Puddy said. “People have been quick to say the Reds failed. The Reds were caught up in a war between News Ltd and the ARL. We need to clear up the history.

“Some of the critics are of the belief that Perth failed. They didn’t fail at all.

“We had to pay not only for our teams to travel, feed them and accommodation, but we also had to pay for the teams coming to Perth. We flew all the teams in – paid for everything — and we still didn’t go broke.

“We had a viable business. The first year we were one game out of the eight.

“We built a team in two years and brought them in from everywhere – England, New Zealand, Europe. It wasn’t a five-minute exercise.

“We were happy with the way it was going and it was going to be a success story. John Ribot was in control of the Storm at that stage and he took about five or six of our best players to Melbourne. We were doing very well until the war came along.”

NRL RESPONSE

While noncommittal, Abdo did concede Perth could be an option if the NRL expanded to 18 clubs.

“In the long-term, if there was further expansion, the ARLC would consider all options – from Western Australia to New Zealand and the Pacific,” Abdo said. “There are so many opportunities. Why would you want to exclude anywhere?

“We’ve also indicated to both the Firehawks and the Jets that the ARLC remains open to reconsidering their bids in the future.

“Our focus for now is making sure we have a successful move to 17 teams in 2023, across all aspects, football, commercial and participation. The consideration of a move to 18 teams would be a strategic long-term one for the ARLC in the future.

“Right now our priority is ensuring the successful expansion of the NRLW to six teams and the NRL to 17 teams.”

AFL TIDAL WAVE

Puddy was irritated when told rugby league would struggle to compete for fans and the corporate dollar in an AFL-mad city.

“That’s rubbish,” he said. “The fans follow their AFL sides but when you look at the population in Perth, and see where they come from, there is a desire for rugby league — and we have to give it to them.

“Why do we have success when we go and play State of Origin in Perth? Or Souths games? They don’t take the fans with them. They happen to be there.

“As I said to Peter V’landys, in 1995-96, we had the third-biggest selling merchandise in the whole bloody competition.

“It (junior participation) isn’t as good as it could be. We had development officers going around to all the schools and we could do that again. In fact, it’s already been suggested we should start that again next year. The colleges still play rugby union in Perth.

“I really can’t see too much of a downside.” Geyer added: “Perth is ready – let’s go back.”

Pippen94

First Grade
It comes 24 years after the Perth-based Western Reds’ sudden demise and just a week after the Redcliffe-based Dolphins were admitted as the NRL’s 17th franchise.

News Corp can reveal WA bid boss, Laurie Puddy, the inaugural Reds chairman, has met ARLC chairman Peter V’landys about Perth becoming the NRL’s 18th franchise.

“It’s a no-brainer,” said former Reds marquee signing, Mark Geyer.

In an exclusive interview with The Daily Telegraph, Puddy outlined how and why Perth should be rugby league’s next expansion franchise.

WHY PERTH

Puddy claimed the team would be known as the Western Reds and play at HBF Stadium, previously known as Perth Oval, and home of the Perth Glory A-League side, while blockbusters could be moved to the 60,000-seat Optus Stadium. He even predicted his club would attract home crowds of 20,000.

“The only thing that has changed since the Western Reds is the desire from the NRL to say: ‘Let’s do Perth again’. I can’t understand why the hierarchy doesn’t see it,” he said. “It would make it a national competition and the two-hour time change makes sense for broadcasters.

“Souths go over there on a regular basis. Manly, Canterbury. They know the crowds they can pull – 20,000-plus. They get 5000 to 10,000 more people at Perth than they would do at a home game.

“Back in 1995, the population of WA was about 1.3 million. The population of Perth today is nearly three million.

“We had 24,000 people at our first game (in 1995) and averaged around 15,400 thereafter, and that was playing at the WACA, which is a cricket ground. “I have business contacts and colleagues sitting in Perth waiting for something to happen. All they say is: “Laurie, when is it going to happen?’ Support for the game isn’t in question. Why wouldn’t Perth be a success? We have done it before.

“Some experts are talking about playing in places like PNG. That’s offensive.

“If we couldn’t get 20,000 a game then I’m a bad judge. Back in 1994-95, we were inundated with support from sponsors.

“I have had a meeting with Peter (V’landys). There was nothing to come of it, although we agreed to meet again. That hasn’t transpired yet with Covid and, of course, he has had his hands full. I respect that.

“What we have to do first is get in front of Peter again and Andrew (Abdo, NRL CEO) and have a serious discussion about Western Australia.”

ADMISSION DATE

Puddy was adamant he and his bid team could build the entire club inside two years.

“It would take us two years,” he said. “It took us two years last time and it would take us two years again. You’d want (entry) in 2024.

“I would drive it (the bid) but you might find there are other people in Perth who would want to have a crack too. The answer is we need to get a team into Perth.

“I’ve talked to the WA Government and they would open their arms to us and help in any way to get us back and get us a ground. They would talk to us about how we could develop our own high performance centre.

“I was at the (2018) State of Origin in Perth, there were 60,000 people there. And you know the thing that amazed me?

“The amount of people walking into the ground wearing Western Reds gear. It was amazing. That should tell the hierarchy that there is a demand for rugby league at that level in Perth.

“Why would you want to change (the Reds name)? Why come up with another name when the people in Perth still relate to the Reds?”

Pressed on whether a club could be ready and accepted by 2024, Puddy said: “Absolutely, absolutely.”

BRING IT ON: MG

Geyer was the king of Perth during the Western Reds tenure. He now wants rugby league to head west again.

“I’m biased but it’s a no-brainer,” Geyer said. “If you want it to be a truly National Rugby League then we have to be national.

“We can’t just be up the eastern seaboard. Now is the time to strike. Let’s delve into this. I think it would be mega if they did it, it would be awesome. “They’ve got (businessman) ‘Twiggy’ Forrest over there. He loves his sport. They need a code over there other than AFL. I have had thousands of messages from people from Perth saying: ‘C’mon, think about us’.

“The difference in time is good as well for television, that’s a big tick so let’s go to Perth. It’s time to go back, it’s the Reds baby, let’s go. I dare say if Super League didn’t come along then we’d still be there.”

PAST HISTORY

The Reds’ death came after Super League and the ARL merged clubs into a 20-team competition known as the NRL. Perth officials felt they were victims of a war out of their control.

“We have to clear up some misconceptions – the Western Reds didn’t fail,” Puddy said. “People have been quick to say the Reds failed. The Reds were caught up in a war between News Ltd and the ARL. We need to clear up the history.

“Some of the critics are of the belief that Perth failed. They didn’t fail at all.

“We had to pay not only for our teams to travel, feed them and accommodation, but we also had to pay for the teams coming to Perth. We flew all the teams in – paid for everything — and we still didn’t go broke.

“We had a viable business. The first year we were one game out of the eight.

“We built a team in two years and brought them in from everywhere – England, New Zealand, Europe. It wasn’t a five-minute exercise.

“We were happy with the way it was going and it was going to be a success story. John Ribot was in control of the Storm at that stage and he took about five or six of our best players to Melbourne. We were doing very well until the war came along.”

NRL RESPONSE

While noncommittal, Abdo did concede Perth could be an option if the NRL expanded to 18 clubs.

“In the long-term, if there was further expansion, the ARLC would consider all options – from Western Australia to New Zealand and the Pacific,” Abdo said. “There are so many opportunities. Why would you want to exclude anywhere?

“We’ve also indicated to both the Firehawks and the Jets that the ARLC remains open to reconsidering their bids in the future.

“Our focus for now is making sure we have a successful move to 17 teams in 2023, across all aspects, football, commercial and participation. The consideration of a move to 18 teams would be a strategic long-term one for the ARLC in the future.

“Right now our priority is ensuring the successful expansion of the NRLW to six teams and the NRL to 17 teams.”

AFL TIDAL WAVE

Puddy was irritated when told rugby league would struggle to compete for fans and the corporate dollar in an AFL-mad city.

“That’s rubbish,” he said. “The fans follow their AFL sides but when you look at the population in Perth, and see where they come from, there is a desire for rugby league — and we have to give it to them.

“Why do we have success when we go and play State of Origin in Perth? Or Souths games? They don’t take the fans with them. They happen to be there.

“As I said to Peter V’landys, in 1995-96, we had the third-biggest selling merchandise in the whole bloody competition.

“It (junior participation) isn’t as good as it could be. We had development officers going around to all the schools and we could do that again. In fact, it’s already been suggested we should start that again next year. The colleges still play rugby union in Perth.

“I really can’t see too much of a downside.” Geyer added: “Perth is ready – let’s go back.”

Perth will be 18th just like we knew for years redcliffe was 17th. Why is everybody so pressed?!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its interesting Puddy is so married to the Reds brand. It looks like we could have three potential bidders:
Western Reds - Puddy and consortium
WC Pirates - Cummins and NRLWA
Western Quokkas - Sage

Be interesting to get them all in a room and see if they can play nice together!