What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

The Great Dane

First Grade
How about this for a club name. Perth RLFC

All encompassing no silly token nickname at birth. Let the moniker develop as the club matures and gets a personality.

Though in concept it's a great idea in practice it takes to long to devlop a brand (for lack of a better word) when it comes to kids footy. Most little kids if given the choice of which team they want to play for make their choice based on one of three reasons, either they choose the club their parents want them to play for, they choose the club the majority of their friends play for or they choose the club with the most attractive image to them.

Clubs have little to no influence over the kids that choose a club biased on their parents influence or where their friends are playing, so the clubs only hope is that the kids that don't have those influences like their mascot and colours more then all the other clubs mascots and colours and in most cases kids will pick the club with the eagle on the logo over the club without a mascot.

Basically for new junior footy clubs just being called Wherever JRLFC is a big risk because if the club cannot attract enough players to field many teams then they wont be around very long.

But if your a semi-professional/professional seniors team that doesn't rely to heavily on supporters and expanding that supporters base as a main source of income it's a great idea.
Unfortunately most professional teams are not in a position to do that these days because they need to attract a core supporters base as fast as they can after they are admitted in to their competition and apart from people living in their area that do not already support a team but are interested in supporting a team the only tool they have to attract new supporters is their image and a very large part of their image (and for many just gaining a interest in the sport their defining reason as to why they choose a team) is their mascot, their colours and their uniform.

Then there's the risk of your fan base not liking the moniker that their club is eventually given and trying to deny it and change it, as in most cases it's the rival clubs fans who first start referring to the club as it's new moniker and not the supporters base it's self, which can be hugely damaging to the supporters base as they many of the clubs fans become disenfranchised with the clubs new image, but I won't go into to much detail about that right now.

Once again on paper it's a great idea but in practice it's very risky on many levels and for many clubs unfeasible.

Perth Red

Post Whore
By my reckoning half the Wa clubs have original names and half have copied NRL teams.
The original brands; wasps, giants, Luggers, cougars, hawks, thunder, bulls, vikings and lions.

The Great Dane

First Grade
By my reckoning half the Wa clubs have original names and half have copied NRL teams.
The original brands; wasps, giants, Luggers, cougars, hawks, thunder, bulls, vikings and lions.

I'll give you Giants, but Thunder and Vikings are just cheap imitations in Australian RL, and those Hawks wear maroon and white I bet ;-).

Anyway I still think that it's disappointing that so many clubs across the country just copy the NRL clubs.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
For junior clubs in an expansion state it doesn't bother me in the slightest... If it helps tie the club to the NRL team/raise awareness of the sport then it's fine.

bobmar28

Bench
How about this for a club name. Perth RLFC

All encompassing no silly token nickname at birth. Let the moniker develop as the club matures and gets a personality.

Put it to a vote.

It could end up like Sydney FC. Their nickname has become FC.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
With the appointment of a new development officer for the Pilbara the game is going great guns under Chris's guidance and enthusiasm. Focusing on supporting the growth of the existing clubs as well as taking the game to the bush and working with communities around health and social issues using RL as a vehicle the game has never been stronger in Northern WA. Here are some pics from Chris's work and the Pilbara clubs.

1146717_200831103416155_1321837009_n.jpg

549551_200831020082830_1251956670_n.jpg

1006306_200830963416169_1560214528_n.jpg

954656_10201726669787288_319135138_n.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth has been hosting the under 12's schoolboy cup for the first time ever this week. Finals played today.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's a state competition Dane. WA are playing nsw invitational for 5th and6thspot today. Nsw v qland for 1st and2nd, act v vict for 3rd and4th and sa v nt for 7th and 8th.

Probably the 10-13 age group is our weakest in wa and no doubt we will have plans to develop these ages better.we now have sg ball programme for 16-17 and an elite academy and high schools programme for 14-16. Hopefully we will strengthen the important 10-13 age group next and get more kids at that age choosing the game.

The Great Dane

First Grade
It's a state competition Dane. WA are playing nsw invitational for 5th and 6th spot today. Nsw v qland for 1st and 2nd, act v vict for 3rd and 4th and sa v nt for 7th and 8th.

I realize that but events like these are the best time to scout the best of the best players from across the country!

Trust me there were defiantly Raiders scouts out there yesterday watching on and the Pirates would be mad not to be doing the same.

These kids are too young to sign but it's a good chance to get a good look at the ones that you might be interested in a few years time and start to keep tabs on them. Many of these kids will be starting their RL careers at about the same time as the Pirates come into the NRL so now is probably the time to start watching and keeping up with the talent otherwise for a little while the Pirates may be relying on other teams to source their junior talent (not unlike the Storm have been doing).

Probably the 10-13 age group is our weakest in wa and no doubt we will have plans to develop these ages better.we now have sg ball programme for 16-17 and an elite academy and high schools programme for 14-16. Hopefully we will strengthen the important 10-13 age group next and get more kids at that age choosing the game.

10-13 is probably the ACT's strongest, it's after that where RL struggles to keep up with RU in the ACT.

Unfortunately it's next to impossible to set up a proper all high school RL program in the ACT because of the RU's influence and any attempts to set up a strong elite academy has been undermined by the NSWRL, so this area has been very difficult to progress but things are frustratingly slowly getting better.

Hopefully WA doesn't struggle with their attempts to expand RL's popularity with their primary school kids as much as the ACT has struggled with our attempts to expand RL's popularity with our high school kids.

By the way let me bet NSW came 1st, Qld 2nd, ACT 3rd, Vic 4th, WA 5th, NSW invitational 6th, NT 7th and SA 8th. Whatever the result Vic has come a long way, they would have easily come last less then ten years ago.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Meredith lauds WARL standard of play
by Kristian Dwyer
August 12th, 2013
Having enjoyed an eight year playing career in Rugby League with Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles in the NRL, and Halifax in the English Championship, Martin Meredith has a unique worldview of the way Rugby League should be played.

In his new role as Participation Manager the former five-eighth brings with him a wealth of experience not only from these playing days but also from an experienced career as a development officer with the National Rugby League.

During a visit for the National U-12’s championships, Meredith spoke with warugbyleague.com.au to provide a bit of insight into just what his role involves.

“Participation is a new unit for the NRL, it didn’t exist up until 8 months ago,” he said.

“With the restructure of development just before Christmas, the league set up a program and I was fortunate enough to look after that participation unit”

“It looks after programs such as junior programs, senior programs, school programs and then other areas of the game – the women’s game but also indigenous and wheelchair activities as well”

Visiting Ken Allen Field for the Round 20 Cash Converters Premiership clash between the Fremantle Roosters and Rockingham Sharks, Meredith admitted that the Western Australian Rugby League showcased a good quality of on field play.

““I’ve been over here on another project as well – the school program – they have a national U-12’s school program down the road in Rockingham… While I was in town, I wanted to see some club football as well, it is part of my role,” he said with a smile.

“I wanted to come along and see what the standard of play was like, I was impressed by both teams”

“I was impressed by the standard of play, it was comparable to A-Grade level in Sydney which is sound and I think they should be commended.”

But it wasn’t just the play that Meredith was interested in during his visit to Ken Allen Field, as his passion for Rugby League showed that he was keen to keep an eye out on how the league could improve things for the game out west.

“The other area I was probably looking at was the facilities, what type of facilities you (the WARL) have got, and the NRL… if we could help some way, we could assist some of the clubs,” he said.

http://warugbyleague.com.au/meredith-lauds-warl-standard-of-play/

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who knows? NRL review of expansion endof 2014. Most likely if they do decide to expand that teams will kick off 2017 or 2018.