What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Bears

hitamn

Juniors
With all the talk of expansion and the continual refusal for the central coast bears from the NRL, i think its time for the bears to go a different direction. ithink that direction should be west to perth. it is obvious the NRL arent gonna create a new franchise out of the central coast i mean, its just not finacially that important an area for us. im not saying they dont deserve a team but thats another topic.

i reckon the bears in perth would be a great chance for rugby league to do a couple of things
1 win back the norths sydney supporters who left the game when the bears merged than will kicked out
2 expand the comp to perth fans who have shown they will support a team in any competiton
3 commercial growth with a whole new market to aim at e.g tv rights,

hitamn

Juniors
but the bears could be a whole new franchise with independant money bankrolling the club, yet still have the old links to the NSB by playing majority of their away games in sydney to increase crowds. i mean lets face the storm , cowboys or raiders hardly bring any fans when they travel to sydney, but this club will have huge support in sydney for the bears fans and if they were ever close to winning a title (last one since 1922) it would cause a tremendous amopunt of publicity.
remember souths would move to the central coast i doubt they want anything to do with perth
but i bet norths would

***MH***

Bench
I agree with it.... I mean if the AFL can relocate teams from Victoria to other states and build strong team bases, I'm sure NSW can export and expect the same result.

Dragonwest

Juniors
All for it, always liked the bears, would happily join as a member and attend all matches (as my distant second team of coarse). :p

***MH***

Bench
At least this way, there will be a Perth supporter base and a Sydney supporter base for the Red and Black (perhaps adding yellow to the equation).
The Perth team will probably make at least 10 trips to NSW during a season anyway, so why not form a foundation with North Sydney?

stuke

Bench
good idea providing the Bears with some form of identity and providinga new team with some form of supporter base in NSW.

i would fear that the Super 14 have moved in on Perth and taken a huge slice of what Rugby League could have had if they had of stuck with the Reds.

what is it like in WA, is there enough:
a) interest from people in NRL
b) corporate $$$ to go around

Woods99

Juniors
What makes you guys think that Perth rugby union fans and corporate sponsors are suddenly going to develop an interest in rugby league?

And which fairy godmother is going to pay for a Perth NRL franchise?

Brutus

Referee
Woods99 said:
What makes you guys think that Perth rugby union fans and corporate sponsors are suddenly going to develop an interest in rugby league?

The Perth union team only go for half a season. Blink and they're gone.

Perth rugby fans need a team that will go the distance of an entire season.

I'm all for a Western Bears NRL side. There will be no SL junk to halt their progress this time.

Bring it on!

Dragonwest

Juniors
North Syndey would also be a perfect supporter club in the lower grades with Perth juniours helping to supply the ranks as the game developes a larger juniour base over the years in Perth.

Well it'd be the best chance of the Bears getting back in. I couldn't see the NRL saying no.

It'd be a win-win scenario, the Red and Black jumper would be back and we'd have Perth again.

As mentioned the "Perth/Western Bears" would have an instant supporter base in Sydney and I think there's every reason to believe that Perth would embrace a Rugby League team, considering they did it quite well during Super League and without a rectangular stadium (which they now have).

If this side did reasonably well it could open up the possibility of Adelaide and Gosford attracting Sydney clubs as well.

SalfordRedsWA

Juniors
Woods99 said:

Questions: Have you ever been to Perth and spoken to 'rugby' fans here? Do you realise that many Western Force fans also like RL?

Red Bear

Referee
Wow, another thread suggesting the movement of someone elses team rather than their own!

Of course it will feel like having the team back again wont it, why home games would be just a 4 hour plane flight away. 500 bucks to go to a home game (or more). Thatsvery similarto the cost of petrol, aticketand a pie by driving up to sydney/central coast. Bears, having built a ground at Central Coast, should by right be at that ground if they come back in the NRL. I personally think we are gone for good, which sickens me, but seriously. A team in Perth would be like having a team back? I doubt i could bring myself to support it and doubt many other Bears fans would support it either.

MayMoo

Juniors
Yep,

Leave the whole North Shore and Central Coast for AFL & Rugby & Soccer to Carve up.

This is the madness that prevails today.

Why expand into another AFL dominated state, when the second biggest city in Australia can't keep a franchise afloat without the NEWSCORP lifesupport system.

Look after your homeland first.