What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers shift east

Let's face it, they may as well cut off the "Wests" part of their name off now that they're only going to play 3 games in the west in 2009.

What a farcial decision - AFL is about to attempt to raid on Western Sydney and yet the Tigers decide that they don't want to play any games out there, not even in the Inner-West (Homebush) ffs.

Just re-name them the Sydney Tigers because they have barely any link to the Western Suburbs anymore.

Discuss.

Wests Tigers will play 6 games in the west: 3 games @ Campbelltown (greater west) & 3 games @ Leichhardt (inner-west).

Btw what allocation of home games would you propose for the Tigers?

westie

Bench
Solution. Instead of spending hundreds of millions slowly keeping suburban grounds up to scratch, why not build a proper stadium out in the south west.

sass

Juniors
seems like anz and the sfs are as much 'home grounds' as each other. yay for unrelated corporate agreement games!

why havent they tried Concord as a venue for a game
they train there, I often see them when I drive past

20,000 capacity
looks like a nice ground and it is in the inner west
just my thought

No corporate facilities.

No train station nearby.

Terrible parking.

Grandstands are dilapidated and in need of renovations.

In anticipation of the comparisons people may draw with Leichhardt, I'll say that the reason we play at that ground is because it it a traditional home ground- we love it despite all its failings.

LRC

We need teams representing geographic locations and staying there.
I dont care who...just stay there.
Let the Dogs have south west sydney... roosters and tigers can battle it for the city..I know who would win if it came dwon to share $$$ (one team that can stay in their home territory and afford it)

gong_eagle

First Grade
No corporate facilities.

No train station nearby.

Terrible parking.

Grandstands are dilapidated and in need of renovations.

In anticipation of the comparisons people may draw with Leichhardt, I'll say that the reason we play at that ground is because it it a traditional home ground- we love it despite all its failings.

Ok then bad idea

Red Bear

Referee
How about a different poll
Ban Novocastrian Panther/ NK Arsenal again.
Boards better with less dickheads racists around

bartman

Immortal
Did I miss where they are playing their other six home games? Don't tell me the SFS, how much sense does that make??

Solution. Instead of spending hundreds of millions slowly keeping suburban grounds up to scratch, why not build a proper stadium out in the south west.

The only reason the state/fed govt would even consider investing the type of money that is necessary to completely modernise Campbelltown, would be if they found a permanent tenant. The JV will never move fulltime to Cambo while Balmain remains afloat and the club seeks to accommodate the majority of its supporters.

Ok then bad idea

It could have been an excellent idea but unfortunately the Rugby elite showed terrible judgement when they hastily constructed the stadium in preparation for the 87 world cup.
It was never going to satisfy the purpose for which it was built, and the ARB swiftly retreated towards the East. In the meantime, the ground has been deserted by any serious tenant (West Harbour & WT training facility aside) so there hasn't been any reason to improve the facilities.

Teddyboy

First Grade
It could have been an excellent idea but unfortunately the Rugby elite showed terrible judgement when they hastily constructed the stadium in preparation for the 87 world cup.
It was never going to satisfy the purpose for which it was built, and the ARB swiftly retreated towards the East. In the meantime, the ground has been deserted by any serious tenant (West Harbour & WT training facility aside) so there hasn't been any reason to improve the facilities.

What waste of money after 21 years.

westie

Bench
The only reason the state/fed govt would even consider investing the type of money that is necessary to completely modernise Campbelltown, would be if they found a permanent tenant. The JV will never move fulltime to Cambo while Balmain remains afloat and the club seeks to accommodate the majority of its supporters.

The supporters will support a winning club regardless of where it is based. I have spent many a day/night at LO with <5k in attendance (after the artificial boosting of figures).

What needs to be done from our point of view is to secure an massive area of untapped support lest we remain homeless and eventually become irrelevant in the face of forward moving Souths and Easts. Balmain is as relevant as Newtown, Glebe, Annandale, Cumberland et al. We are now a Sydney club in danger of being swamped.

What needs to be done from a League point of view is secure a crucial heartland. If we don't come up with the goods, someone else will. Whether that becomes the Dogs or Parra... or god forbid AFL, it will be a bad thing from a WT point of view.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
The supporters will support a winning club regardless of where it is based. I have spent many a day/night at LO with <5k in attendance (after the artificial boosting of figures).

What needs to be done from our point of view is to secure an massive area of untapped support lest we remain homeless and eventually become irrelevant in the face of forward moving Souths and Easts. Balmain is as relevant as Newtown, Glebe, Annandale, Cumberland et al. We are now a Sydney club in danger of being swamped.

What needs to be done from a League point of view is secure a crucial heartland. If we don't come up with the goods, someone else will. Whether that becomes the Dogs or Parra... or god forbid AFL, it will be a bad thing from a WT point of view.

Players --> schools

problem solved

Stagger eel

Staff member
Wests Tigers will play 6 games in the west: 3 games @ Campbelltown (greater west) & 3 games @ Leichhardt (inner-west).

Btw what allocation of home games would you propose for the Tigers?

don't forget they're also playing 6 games at the SFS (West of Watsons Bay)

bartman

Immortal
They should at least have gone 4 Campbelltown, 4 Leichhardt, 4 SFS imo. Keep the balance of games at their two grounds that have some sort of tie to the club's identity. Turn them into fortresses, galvanise the pockets of local support, and then hope enough of them clump together to travel to SFS.

I can see this 3-3-6 split being a disaster.

Dantm

Juniors
Prediction

2009 Average Attendances

West Tigers-(SFS)-9,389

They would get much more at Homebush...

f**king stupid decision...

As stupid as Souths playing at Homebush...

FFS..Swap both of them....

Latest posts