What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers shift east

Raider_69

Post Whore
i must be in a minority. I live in penrith and although its quicker to get to anz i'd rather travel abit further and head to the sfs. Its a far better rl ground.
And i've never found it difficult to travel too and i used to work there. Every weekend as a cleaner. If your fit you can do the walk from that station in 10 minutes. Once your over the initial hill its a piece of piss. And the cook is quality for a pre game feed and drink

I am preying our round 1 clash is held there. Saturday afternoon would be nice. The raiders army love an away trip to the sfs!

Calixte

First Grade
Why not Parramatta play out of Shark Park and Cronulla can play out of Parramatta Stadium???

Sounds good to me...

Perhaps Brisbane and the Cowboys could swap grounds halfway through 2009 too???

Auckland and Melbourne???

FFS. :lol:

Spitty

Juniors
I agree that I wouldn't want to take my children there for a night time game.

SFS is also most definately further to travel and a bigger pain the A** to get to.

But I think the atmosphere of a Sunday arvo game at the SFS would far outweigh the negatives.

Azkatro

First Grade
Anyone that claims getting to (and from) the SFS is quicker and/or easier than ANZ (from most places in the west) is an idiot. All good and well if you like going to the city to hit the pubs and clubs, but if you've got kids then you're facing a longer haul to Central station. Then you need a good 5-10 minutes to walk to the buses to the ground (which once you're on are actually pretty good, unless you're unlucky like I have been before and the bus driver is a f**kwit who doesn't know where he's going).

I think this decision is fine for young single bored people with money to burn, but atrocious for everyone else. And correct me if I'm wrong but the socio-economic status of most Wests Tigers fans doesn't fall into the category of having money to burn ...

I agree that the SFS is a better ground than ANZ for watching the games but far harder to get to for most of the Tigers supporters.

Dumb move. Expect to see a fall off in crowd numbers next year, especially families.

ucantseeme

Juniors
I think it was a good decision. Not just for the Tigers but for the NRL. Hopefully this will help silence some of the critics about 10k crowds in a 80k seat stadium being a bad look.

No Tigers fan has the right to complain about this being a bad decision if it benefits the club financially. If it were 6 games at Gosford then it would be a problem as it is outside of Sydney altogether.

The are 6 games a year at the SFS. 6 days out of 356. So if you have to walk a little further or spend a bit longer on the train, it's no big deal. And if you are going with kids, unless they are disabled, they won't mind.

Anyone that claims getting to (and from) the SFS is quicker and/or easier than ANZ (from most places in the west) is an idiot. All good and well if you like going to the city to hit the pubs and clubs, but if you've got kids then you're facing a longer haul to Central station. Then you need a good 5-10 minutes to walk to the buses to the ground (which once you're on are actually pretty good, unless you're unlucky like I have been before and the bus driver is a f**kwit who doesn't know where he's going).

I think this decision is fine for young single bored people with money to burn, but atrocious for everyone else. And correct me if I'm wrong but the socio-economic status of most Wests Tigers fans doesn't fall into the category of having money to burn ...

Spot on.

Anyone who thinks this isn't a major turn-off for Campbelltown-based Tigers fans is an imbecile.

I think it was a good decision. Not just for the Tigers but for the NRL. Hopefully this will help silence some of the critics about 10k crowds in a 80k seat stadium being a bad look.

No Tigers fan has the right to complain about this being a bad decision if it benefits the club financially. If it were 6 games at Gosford then it would be a problem as it is outside of Sydney altogether.

The are 6 games a year at the SFS. 6 days out of 356. So if you have to walk a little further or spend a bit longer on the train, it's no big deal. And if you are going with kids, unless they are disabled, they won't mind.

Those "only 6 games" mean quite a lot of extra money and time to be handed over by any Campbelltown-based fan.

The club doesn't give a f**k about the fans, if they did there is absolutely no way they'd move games to somewhere in the middle of Easts territory so why should the fans give a sh*t and part with extra money and time to go to games at the SFS?

f**k 'em, I'll watch the games on Fox.

Meth

Staff member
How many does the SFS sit? Many more than Tigers games will attract even if the games were right in the heart of their supporters' neighborhood.

I am sure there is more to it, but take the games back to smaller grounds in the heart of the community- for mine, the experience of a smaller, full ground is better than the big grounds, empty, an experience which teams like the Rabbitohs, Bulldogs and Tigers seems to favor.

Seeing 10-15k like a drop in a 40-50k stadium is not good for the game.

otori

Juniors
Lots of Broncos fans travel from Logan and other places to get to Suncorp. Just further proof that the teams in Sydney are scrambling for excuses to stay alive. If we had nine teams in Brisbane it'd be just as bad.

Not happy with this at all, Homebush is one of the closest grounds to my house (Parra is probably the only one that's closer). In the time it takes to get out of that so called 'car park' at the SFS I could drive home from Homebush. We are the WESTS Tigers, play our games in WESTERN Sydney. I suspect a world tour for our home games is on the way (New York, Dubai, Perth, Jo-berg, Paris, Stockholm, Beijing, Rio, Moscow, Seoul, Adelaide and Montreal will be our 12 home games for 2010)

Beaches Boy

Juniors
From a Manly point of view SFS is way better, I would not be suprised to see 30k crowd for this game at the SFS.

The same game at Homebush would strugle to get 20K

b&wdynamite

Juniors
Not happy with this at all, Homebush is one of the closest grounds to my house (Parra is probably the only one that's closer). In the time it takes to get out of that so called 'car park' at the SFS I could drive home from Homebush. We are the WESTS Tigers, play our games in WESTERN Sydney. I suspect a world tour for our home games is on the way (New York, Dubai, Perth, Jo-berg, Paris, Stockholm, Beijing, Rio, Moscow, Seoul, Adelaide and Montreal will be our 12 home games for 2010)

Geez I hope so.......I am moving to Montreal next year and it would be great to have a home game there ;-) - I can teach the quebecois how much better league is than hockey :p

Tiger Hawk

Bench
How many fans from Campbo currently travel to ANZ anyway? Everyone knows the bulk of the team's support comes from the Balmain side of the joint venture (having more disposable income) and as others point out, it's much of a muchness to us.

I'm happy with a 6/6 split but if it's either ANZ or SFS, SFS wins hands down and that's clearly what the majority of Tigers' fans think.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
Everyone whinges that there's too many games at ANZ, a team moves away from it and you're still whinging!!! :lol:

Good to see that the SFS is actually being used now. The fact that the SFS is offering the WT the same as ANZ was is a good sign that there could be some competition between the two stadiums for NRL games, which can only be good for clubs.

Loudstrat

Coach
Lots of Broncos fans travel from Logan and other places to get to Suncorp. Just further proof that the teams in Sydney are scrambling for excuses to stay alive. If we had nine teams in Brisbane it'd be just as bad.

Yeah, how far's that? 10 mins?

Move Bronco games to Robina or Seagulls and you have a better similie.

No one has recalled that the Bunnies and Dragons once used the SFS, and couldn't get out quick enough. Crowds don't flock there for club games.

Also, Wests was probably the best drawing tennant at Homebush.

Note that they didn't consider Parra Stadium as their third option?