What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers shift east

flamin

Juniors
Remember this:
Campbelltown lures old enemies
By Josh Massoud | March 22, 2008 12:00am
CAMPBELLTOWN Stadium has drawn up a hit-list of rival NRL teams to play in Sydney's south-west out of frustrations that the venue is being ignored by Wests Tigers.
The Roosters, Bulldogs and Rabbitohs will be invited to transfer at least one home game to Campbelltown from next season onwards.

The Saturday Daily Telegraph can also reveal the Roosters are eyeing off the famed league nursery to compensate for its shortage of local juniors, having purchased land at nearby Narellan to build a new licensed club.

The upheaval comes as tensions over Wests' ongoing decision to play only three matches a season at Campbelltown intensify.

On the verge of receiving an additional $8 million Federal Government funding to upgrade the 20,000-seater, stadium officials and the local council believe the Tigers are giving them a raw deal.

The issue of how many games to play at Campbelltown has also been a hot topic of debate on the joint venture's highly politicised board.

When the Tigers' deal to play selected matches at ANZ Stadium expired last year, there was an immediate push from the sole Campbelltown-aligned director to return to a six-six split between Campbelltown and Leichhardt.

But that motion was scuppered by the other nine directors, five of whom represent Balmain and four Wests Ashfield. The fact the remaining Magpies board members voted against playing more matches in the faction's territory has increased ill-feeling within the black and white bloc.

Campbelltown-based Magpies feel their Ashfield brothers are content to stay at Olympic Park, because of its proximity to the thriving Wests club on Liverpool Rd.

Campbelltown's interests are reduced to one voice on the board because of its smaller commitment to finance guarantees for the Tigers. While Balmain guarantees the joint venture $1.5 million and Ashfield $1 million every season, Cambelltown is only in for $500,000.

Hosting matches at Campbelltown and Leichhardt has traditionally been far more expensive because the Tigers must pay for video screens, ground hire and lighting.

But Campbelltown Council now argues that the impending upgrades to its stadium - including lighting, a permanent video screen, and improved corporate facilities - mean there's no longer a commercial case to call Olympic Park home.

The Tigers' current deal with ANZ Stadium is for this season only, but Campbelltown interests feel the joint venture's status quo at board level will never see it allocate more than three matches to the south-west.

And that's why council voted last month to court the Roosters, Bulldogs and Rabbitohs to help maximise use of the newly developed venue.

"If the Tigers only want to play three matches here, that's fine," a council source said.

"But we can't sit around and let the stadium turn into a white elephant. We have to look for other occupants, even if they are from clubs outside the region."

Tigers CEO Steve Noyce was aware of Campbelltown's desire to embrace the club's rivals.

"Obviously they have an obligation to their ratepayers - of which I am one - to make a return on investment," he said.

But Noyce is adamant he wants to lead the Tigers back to splitting all their games between Leichhardt and Campbelltown.

"That's the model we ultimately want to aim for, but we've had to make a commercial decision to play four matches (at ANZ Stadium) in the meantime," he said. "There's a guaranteed return and no costs against guaranteed costs and no guaranteed return."

The Tigers are in a relatively secure financial position, and had to only ask for $540,000 in Leagues club funding last season.

But the Roosters' advance on their junior nursery is creating concerns. "That's an issue for us," Noyce said.

"It means we've got to get our own backyard in order and get smarter. The Roosters don't have a lot of juniors and I can see why they want to move in."

Imagine while the the Tigers at the SFS if we had the Roosters playing games in Campbelltown.

aids

Bench
they'll be asking Sattler next
is there a coincidence that old iconic players, bugger off to Queensland when they become irrelevant?

Mr Saab

Referee
they'll be asking Sattler next
is there a coincidence that old iconic players, bugger off to Queensland when they become irrelevant?

Dean Dickhead will probably call fossil cricketer Neil Harvey next...i am sure he can add a spin to this story

aids

Bench
derivative, base journalism at it's simplest.
are they lazy, or just terrible at the tele?

TFS85

Juniors
What part of "Talk bollocks somewhere else" are you struggling with mate?

It's a retrograde move that will do nothing more than thin our fanbase. There is a good percentage of our fans who just simply won't go to the SFS for a H&A game.

And it's hardly going to get anyone else excited is it?

Christ, the people of the Eastern Suburbs don't go and see Easts play, why would they go to see Wests play?

Mate Campbelltown and Leichhardt need upgrading it is as simple as that. Hopefully next year we will get more games at both, in the mean time people are complaing about what a hole ANZ is so we have moved to the SFS which is a better ground for football. ANZ thinned our fan base and I think many who hated ANZ will be returning so that will probably compensate for those who wont go the the SFS.

Last edited:

TFS85

Juniors
Originally Posted by Hanscholo

What is wrong with Campbelltown?

Campbelltown Stadium is being closed for renovations in May 2009.[/quote]

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
It's not about opinion, it's about f*cking fact. There is a train station directly outside ANZ Stadium. You see the stadium the moment you ascend to ground level from the platforms at Olympic Park Station.

Arriving at Central you've either got a further 10 minutes by bus, or a near 2km walk, which according to Google Maps will take around 20 minutes.

The facts are, ANZ is easier to access by both train and car. And probably bus for that matter. It's not about opinion.

I genuinely feel sorry for your fans... the SFS is truly ridiculous.

in all honesty timmah, i would rather have our home games at the SFS rather then that piss of a stadium called Stadium AUstralia

Mate Campbelltown and Leichhardt need upgrading it is as simple as that. Hopefully next year we will get more games at both, in the mean time people are complaing about what a hole ANZ is so we have moved to the SFS which is a better ground for football. ANZ thinned our fan base and I think many who hated ANZ will be returning so that will probably compensate for those who wont go the the SFS.

The SFS is a much better ground to watch footy at but it is a pain in the arse to get to.

Our crowds, if we do the same sh*t we usually do, will be down significantly.

We have a round 6 game next year v The Storm, if its at the SFS we'll get 5k.

Unfortunately, it'll be at Campbelltown.

Our first 4 home games are v Raiders, Roosters, Storm and Knights. I have a feeling, and I stand to be corrected if they've already decided, that the Roosters game will be at the SFS and the other 3 will be at Campbelltown.

f**king over the Campbelltown fans, again....

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
Why do Wests need 3 grounds?

I thought Gallop was going to push for less games in big stadiums?

That's exactly what's happening.

Instead of playing 6 games in and 80k stadium, they're playing 6 games in a 40k stadium.

I do hope WT make their memberships a helluva lot cheaper to bring the crowds in.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
The SFS is a much better ground to watch footy at but it is a pain in the arse to get to.

Our crowds, if we do the same sh*t we usually do, will be down significantly.

We have a round 6 game next year v The Storm, if its at the SFS we'll get 5k.

Unfortunately, it'll be at Campbelltown.

Our first 4 home games are v Raiders, Roosters, Storm and Knights. I have a feeling, and I stand to be corrected if they've already decided, that the Roosters game will be at the SFS and the other 3 will be at Campbelltown.

f**king over the Campbelltown fans, again....
Play us a new tune. "f**king over the Campbelltown fans, again". Boo hoo. HTFU.

DangerMouse_007

Juniors
That's exactly what's happening.

Instead of playing 6 games in and 80k stadium, they're playing 6 games in a 40k stadium.

I do hope WT make their memberships a helluva lot cheaper to bring the crowds in.

Wests already have 2 grounds ideally suited to Rugby League.

Going from an 80k stadium to a 40k stadium is just going from exceptionally crap to very crap.

A half packed out SFS (it will be well below half packed) delivers no atmosphere.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
I was wondering if you had any peers in LU because what I've seen from you is pretty stupid and even allowing for gimps like lockyfan etc, I thought it might be a stretch...

...but I found one...
Let's sum up the disagreement:

Me (& others): "It takes 15 minutes to walk from Central to the SFS"

You: "I can't walk from Central to the SFS in 15 minutes because it's uphill and has traffic lights on the way. If I can't do it, nobody can. I don't care what you or anyone who agrees with you says. You're all stupid. I'm not pouting. Got a dollar?"

ucantseeme

Juniors
The biggest issue that could come out of this is if Tigers games at the SFS consistantly outdraw Roosters games at the SFS.

I reckon the Tigers can outdraw the Roosters. Hopefully Sydney FC too. And the Swans at the SCG.

westie

Bench
Oh I dunno, the Balmain and former Western Suburbs districts.

FFS. You're proposing that we arbitrarily decide upon a new location, as long as it is somewhere in the West and slightly closer to the city. Any suggestions? Why would we abandon Campbelltown if it already has the foundations of a decent ground? Do you actually think the NRL and state govt would approve of us spurning the $20m Campbelltown investment only to move down the road?

Your rhetoric doesn't really work when applied to most Sydney clubs, particularly the Panthers. Financially, yes, they are in a strong position, but they've hardly managed to build up a committed support base despite 40 years in the area and 2 premierships in that time.

I only use the example of Penrith because it provides insight into how a South West Sydney team may struggle. Penrith has a burgeoning population of young low-income families that have recently moved to the area. At first there was a general expectation that these new families would immediately embrace the local side, but no one took account of the loyalties these people had to their old teams. Naturally, interest in the Panthers piqued when they won the GFs but the ensuing decline on each occasion exposed a fickle support base. Obviously the Wests Tigers would have the benefit of pre-existing support, although I'm highly sceptical that the majority of current fans would be as ardent in their support of a team based entirely in the South West.

Do you remember Oasis? In short, the Bulldogs would have had a 35k state of the art stadium ideally located in Liverpool partly funded by the government and significantly funded by Maq Bank. If you actually bothered to read my postings instead of twisting your knickers, you'll know I think that we should have made a move like this a long time ago.

Obviously the current climate will make any such private investment a lot more difficult, but this is a long term project. Doing nothing is stupidity. Wasting yet another 20mil that no one will even notice is beyond my comprehension.

Proposing to stay at Leichhardt is just as stupid as proposing to go back to Lidcombe. Both are decrepid and below standard as top-flight sporting venues. Campbelltown is little better, despite it's more convenient ease of access. I think there is a place in RL for such grounds, but not in a successful NRL. We will never be a big club playing out of a loss-making suburban park.

Liverpool is far from "down the road", making me think you have little or no comprehension of what I'm actually suggesting. In my opinion, it's the perfect compromise in a difficult situation between the Macarthur and the locations of our many scattered fans due to its location and transport links.

More to the point, if we do commit to an area such as this, then we will have a genuine home ground we can call our own, top-class facilities and affordable memberships.

Penrith and Parra continue to fail because of inadequate management. Appointment of incompetent coaching staff has seen to this. Under decent coaches they both made GFs and attracted enormous support. At least they have homes to pack out when winning, despite being unable to maintain any sort of form or promote the clubs in any positive way.

I agree with the difficulties of developing a long-term committed supporter base from the local area. I don't believe it's an issue that could harm us if we didn't succede in the medium term (after an initial boom), because our scattered supporter base will support us anywhere accessible... as they do now.

The benefit of developing local support, in combination with our general supporters is that we will become a much larger club, capable of filling a medium sized venue. The population area we would target, along with bandwagon support would mean we'd need only a fraction of people to get along.

But we'll just keep playing out of local parks and whinging when we have to go to areas outside our heartland.