What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you eating right now?

As I cook for myself 99% of the time, I thought I'd treat myself to a chicken kebab.

Get home, take the first bite and went WTF! Had f**kING CABBAGE on it. Where's the lettuce?

One bite wonder that cost $10.

horrie hastings

First Grade
As I cook for myself 99% of the time, I thought I'd treat myself to a chicken kebab.

Get home, take the first bite and went WTF! Had f**kING CABBAGE on it. Where's the lettuce?

One bite wonder that cost $10.

A lot of places are substituting cabbage for lettuce at the moment with the lettuce shortage and prices of lettuce through the roof with whats available, most markets and fruit shops are selling the humble iceberg lettuce between $7-$12 where you used to get them from $2-$3 before the floods wiped out the crops.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Just decked a whole tub of New Zealand greenshell mussels.

Mmmmm.....

I just can't take to the green lip mussels, i find them to strong, maybe its to do that you can only get them frozen or already cooked in Australia, you cannot get them fresh here . I would imagine having them freshly steamed in New Zealand they would most likely taste a lot better.

Give me our fresh black/blue mussels from here any day, i could almost live on them.

I just can't take to the green lip mussels, i find them to strong, maybe its to do that you can only get them frozen or already cooked in Australia, you cannot get them fresh here . I would imagine having them freshly steamed in New Zealand they would most likely taste a lot better.

Give me our fresh black/blue mussels from here any day, i could almost live on them.
Before the epoch of stupidity, we used to snorkel for our own abalone on the NSW south coast.

Preparation was a nightmare but the end result was more than worth it.

A lot of places are substituting cabbage for lettuce at the moment with the lettuce shortage and prices of lettuce through the roof with whats available, most markets and fruit shops are selling the humble iceberg lettuce between $7-$12 where you used to get them from $2-$3 before the floods wiped out the crops.
I thought all that shit was over. The kebab dude asked me what filling and sauce I wanted, including lettuce.

And what did I get.....f**king cabbage!

horrie hastings

First Grade
I thought all that shit was over. The kebab dude asked me what filling and sauce I wanted, including lettuce.

And what did I get.....f**king cabbage!

Not for the iceberg lettuce, still huge large production, growing problems with them. Some of the more fancy hydroponic lettuce and mini cos lettuce are more readily available now and at reasonable prices but the iceberg lettuce is the backbone of the hospitality industry for burgers, kebabs etc and not readily available in quantity and price point at the moment. Not sure how the Chinese restaurants are going as it is the staple for sang chow bow.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Before the epoch of stupidity, we used to snorkel for our own abalone on the NSW south coast.

Preparation was a nightmare but the end result was more than worth it.

Had a family friend who used to dive for it off Bronte before they turned into a aquatic reserve. Hmmm south coast abalone, only have had it twice in my life but yummmm. Hmmm you have me thinking of south coast oysters now, the best in the world.

Had a family friend who used to dive for it off Bronte before they turned into a aquatic reserve. Hmmm south coast abalone, only have had it twice in my life but yummmm. Hmmm you have me thinking of south coast oysters now, the best in the world.
South Durras abalone.

Lake Conjola oysters.

I want some NOW!

Any Macca's is not good. Do want to try Red Roosters fried chicken pieces though although there isn't a Red Rooster anywhere close to where i live.
Red Rooster is far superior to KFC. Used to love their $5 half a chook and chips after a Saturday arvo on the punt at the local.

I think it was called Big Rooster back then.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Red Rooster is far superior to KFC. Used to love their $5 half a chook and chips after a Saturday arvo on the punt at the local.

I think it was called Big Rooster back then.

Have a KFC just around the corner and i rarely frequent it. Not a big Red Rooster fan but its ok but interested in trying their fried chicken pieces as i like a nice feed of fried chicken pieces some times, only limited store have the fried chicken pieces. For fried chicken pieces in my local area i go to Clems in Newtown. The best fried chicken i have tried in recent years is Chickos at Wollongong but don't get there very often.

Latest posts