What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you more passionate about?

What are you more passionate about, NRL or State of Origin?

• NRL

Votes: 92 74.2%
  • State of Origin

Votes: 12 9.7%
  • About the same for each

Votes: 20 16.1%

• Total voters

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Needs an International RL option, that is far more exciting to me than SOO.

This. Whilst it may not yet represent the same amount of talent on the field at one time and generate the SOO level of raw passion, it should be the pinacle of the game, hopefully it will one day achieve a superior level of skill and I am passionnate in supporting it and doing what it takes to get it there.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Im sure we've had these sort of questions before, and the majority always say club first then SOO.

Lucky Roy

Juniors
State of Origin is contrived. Not necessarily in results (although it occasionally looks that way), but in their endless claims that it is the peak when, more often than not, the games are no better than club games. And that's before we take into consideration the contrived teams, ie Inglis, Tamou, Folau, the big guy from Canterbury etc etc. Nevertheless, it is a moneyspinner and it contributes to what should be the focus, the clubs.

jonno_knights

Juniors
NRL Final Series Game (w/ knights of course) >>>> State of Origin Game >>>>> NRL Regular Season Game >>>>> International Game.

Dont know why, but international footy doesnt do it for me. Less personal rivalries for me, and usually by that time of year (Oct/Nov) I'm not right into the league. It was a little better when the Aussie side was dominated by knights players (Johns, Buderus, Kennedy, Simpson, Tahu, Midley etc.) but in recent years its just been Gidley coming off the bench, and Aku playing a minor role on the wing. Not too mention too many QLDers that I dont particularly like.

Usain Bolt

Bench
By round 19 most people won't be talking about SoO, apart from rubbing it in to your mates or fellow posters for whoever wins.

thommo4pm

Coach
NRL / Dragons way ahead of State of Origin.

Dragons followed by Australia/International matches in general, then the State of Origin comes a long way behind that.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Hasn't this already been done to death on this forum?

Anyway given the choice between NSW winning an Origin series and the Roosters winning a premiership I'd choose the latter every time. But every time I watch an Origin match I pretty much feel just as excited and anxious as I do when watching the Roosters in a Grand Final. The only difference is how I feel after the result. Seeing us win a grand final is better than watching NSW win a series and seeing us lose a gf is worse than watching NSW lose a series.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
NRL Final Series Game (w/ knights of course) >>>> State of Origin Game >>>>> NRL Regular Season Game >>>>> International Game.

Dont know why, but international footy doesnt do it for me. Less personal rivalries for me, and usually by that time of year (Oct/Nov) I'm not right into the league.

This is major f*n problem with the international calendar, and severely holding the international game back.

Chook Norris

First Grade
True RL fans are more passionate about their clubs. SoO comprises largely of fair weather supporters. Although, i find myself caring more about the blues towards the middle of the year in recent times..

Loudstrat

Coach
This. Whilst it may not yet represent the same amount of talent on the field at one time and generate the SOO level of raw passion, it should be the pinacle of the game, hopefully it will one day achieve a superior level of skill and I am passionnate in supporting it and doing what it takes to get it there.
Origin is guaranteed atmosphere. However they all blend into each other. I cant remember an origin game that has stood the test of time like some classic internationals - especially the 2nd Ashes test in 1990, or the 2008 world cup final. I guess Origin is the safe bet, yet international footy at it's best rises above it. I have never seen anything in Origin like the haka in the 08 WCF.

That said, watching your club win a grand final makes all that seem like lego.

Rugby league is my response.
Rugby League is the winner ;-)

afinalsin666

First Grade
It's a difficult one. On a game-by-game basis, I'm more passionate about Origin. However, if there were only 3 Storm games a year, I would be beside myself with anticipation in the lead-up, and be much more invested in the results.

Overall I'm more passionate about the Storm, but the sparsity of SOO games make it seem like I'm more passionate about it.

Latest posts