What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What CD Are You Listening to ?

More Phil Collins' drums for Frida (ex-ABBA)

Staying with the Phil Collins theme...indulge me here...Phil provided the font for Julian Lennon's 2nd LP The Secret Value of Daydreaming. This LP is the bastard son forgotten between Too Late For Goodbyes and Now You're In Heaven. Stick Around gets a frequent airing on my Ipod. Plus the smoking hot Jami Gertz is in the film clip.

Greg Phillinganes - plenty of work with Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, and countless others. Behind The Mask was covered by Phil, with new lyrics from MJ...

The Fixx - Deeper and Deeper from the cult hit 1984 film Streets of Fire.

Wang Chung - provided the soundtrack to To Live and Die In L.A. ... another cult classic film from 1985.

Does It Offend You Yeah? - Dawn of the Dead

One of my absolute favourite bands from the past 10-15 years...We Are Scientists (the other being OK GO). I wrote large portions of my first book listening to After Hours (and for some reason, Marilion and Queen).

After Hours

Rules Don't Stop

Buckle

One In One Out

Second Acts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffWxTy-hZyk

OK GO - everyone knows/remembers the "walking machine" video clip. They're a fantastic pop band AND make arty, creative, innovative film clips. There last album was a pop masterpiece.

The Writing's On The Wall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m86ae_e_ptU

Upside Down and Inside Out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWGJA9i18Co

The One Moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvW61K2s0tA

Obsession

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgmxMuW6Fsc

horrie hastings

First Grade
More Phil Collins' drums for Frida (ex-ABBA)

Another song that is basically forgotten like when you mentioned about Jeff Lynne's Every Little Thing, this was a big hit for Frida which received a lot of air play at the time and made no 5 on the charts, yes Phil Collins drumming in this is fantastic.The album has a longer version of the song and it comes up a lot on my IPOD, love that song.

@horrie hastings

I'm a massive sucker for 12inch remixes of 80's pop songs. So many of them were the "disco / night club" extended mixes, but literally every pop song I love from the 80's has an extended mix somewhere. Especially since many songs exist as Album cut, 7inch/radio cut, 12inch extended mixes. Funny how many songs I loved as a kid, when I got the album, the mix/length was different. Amazing what you find on YouTube too...people loading up obscure 12 inch mixes etc. Or original mixes of songs that never got released, unless on some whizz-bang 20th / 30th Anniversary box set some big band might release.

horrie hastings

First Grade
@horrie hastings

I'm a massive sucker for 12inch remixes of 80's pop songs. So many of them were the "disco / night club" extended mixes, but literally every pop song I love from the 80's has an extended mix somewhere. Especially since many songs exist as Album cut, 7inch/radio cut, 12inch extended mixes. Funny how many songs I loved as a kid, when I got the album, the mix/length was different. Amazing what you find on YouTube too...people loading up obscure 12 inch mixes etc. Or original mixes of songs that never got released, unless on some whizz-bang 20th / 30th Anniversary box set some big band might release.

Have lots of 12 inch remixes stacked away in storage from the late 70s and the 80s.
The one thing that used to annoy though was when you bought compilation albums that threw on all the top 20s hits of the time, some of those songs would be so edited, it was horrible.

This is one of my favourite 12 inch remix from the early/ mid 80s, it was also remixed for a movie or tv show around 1996 and i didn't like that remix near as much.

Have lots of 12 inch remixes stacked away in storage from the late 70s and the 80s.
The one thing that used to annoy though was when you bought compilation albums that threw on all the top 20s hits of the time, some of those songs would be so edited, it was horrible.

This is one of my favourite 12 inch remix from the early/ mid 80s, it was also remixed for a movie or tv show around 1996 and i didn't like that remix near as much.

There are bands who cobble together their best ofs with early fades, or edits and cuts etc to songs to jam on more songs but its horrible.

horrie hastings

First Grade
There are bands who cobble together their best ofs with early fades, or edits and cuts etc to songs to jam on more songs but its horrible.

There are a few songs WS FM play that they edit, Gimme Gimme Gimme by ABBA and Six Months In A Leaky Boat by Split Enz are two that come straight to mind but there are others and it annoys me, i want to hear the originals. To be fair Six Months In A Leaky Boat was always edited for radio play even when it came out in 1982 but it was just the instrumental ending that was edited out, the version that WS plays has a bit in the middle edited out.

horrie hastings

First Grade
@horrie hastings

I got some fabulous versions of songs people had remixed from limewire and Napster years ago, songs like Hung Up from Madonna which had ABBA in It, Xanadu which also mixed part of Jeff Lynnes solo version in it, extended version of ABBA songs like As Good As New and Summer Night City which were fabulous and a Christie Allen song which was so hard to find called Baby Get Away.

Latest posts