What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What CD Are You Listening to ?

Yellow Magic Orchestra - Technodelic with standout tracks being Neue Tanz and Seoul Music. Thank you Mr Ryuichi Yamamoto.
Some YMO tracks can sound a bit like the sort of incidental background music we used to have on BBC schools programmes.

Good choice with Technodelic though. Definitely their most interesting album.

Well worth checking out 90s Japanese Techno producers like Ken Ishii, Takkyu Ishino, Fumiya Tanaka.

After a spell not bothering with new music I`m currently exploring the phenomenon of 21st century Shoegaze, apparently dubbed "Nu Gaze".

Never imagined there would be so much mileage in this genre. Shoegaze was a pejorative, dismissive term in the early 90s.

Most of the newer stuff is American, but a couple of good Aussie bands too - Flyying Colours and Lowtide. Both from Melbourne, but don`t let that put you off.

Generalzod

Immortal
1672944831381.png
IWhat an album, i was working night shift at Pymble when I decided to drive myself to a record store in Chatswood plaza ready for the midnight release of Achtung baby , it was worth the wait.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Have five CD's on shuffle

Tenderland - Renee Geyer
Torch- Carly Simon
Mind Adventures - Des'ree
My Colouring Book - Agnetha Faltskog
Indigo - Olivia Newton John.

View attachment 69301
IWhat an album, i was working night shift at Pymble when I decided to drive myself to a record store in Chatswood plaza ready for the midnight release of Achtung baby , it was worth the wait.
Awesome album. It’s interesting how U2 are getting crapped on by the cool kids these days but this album is a masterpiece.

The Fly single was awesome. One of my faves along with the b sides "Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk/Korova 1" and The Lounge Fly Mix.

Along with Smells Like Teen Spirit, Motley Crue’s “Primal Scream” and “Do Anything” by Natural Selection was the soundtrack of late/summer ‘91.

And now, you inspired me to go throw on my compact disc of Achtung Baby and

The singles alone were brilliant (One is achingly beautiful). But tracks like “Until The End of the World” and “Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World” could’ve been massive hits too.

Generalzod

Immortal
Awesome album. It’s interesting how U2 are getting crapped on by the cool kids these days but this album is a masterpiece.

The Fly single was awesome. One of my faves along with the b sides "Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk/Korova 1" and The Lounge Fly Mix.

Along with Smells Like Teen Spirit, Motley Crue’s “Primal Scream” and “Do Anything” by Natural Selection was the soundtrack of late/summer ‘91.

And now, you inspired me to go throw on my compact disc of Achtung Baby and

The singles alone were brilliant (One is achingly beautiful). But tracks like “Until The End of the World” and “Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World” could’ve been massive hits too.
Ive bought the 30th anniversary vinyl record awesome. Great albums come out that year including Metallicas black album. When I started listening to it when I arrived at work and reading the lyrics of each song especially the song Until the end of the world, I kind of straight away knew it had something to do with Jesus betrayal and judas torment, I took the money I spiked your Drink, In the Garden I was playing the tart I kiss your lips and broke your heart. Truly a work of art.

Last edited:
@The Mad Hatter You mention cool kids I had a debate with my daughter about music, I said to her when I was teenager you kind of knew what the number one song and the artist where, these days I wouldn’t have a clue.
I’ve had this debate for a decade, at least since the end of physical singles sales. I listen to a lot of music genres and listen to a lot of new singers and bands but I don’t think any of what I hear that’s new ever makes the Top 40. I collected the ARIA Chart from the mid 80s until about 2009 when they stopped physically producing it in record shops and I couldn’t tell you what the top 10 is now, let alone what’s #1 atm.

To be fair a lot of indie and alt music of 80s and 90s didn’t chart highly either but I don’t feel there’s a collective music vibe any more. When there were 4 tv channels each had their own music show like Bandstand or video clip show (Video Hits, Countdown/RAGE, Video Smash Hits, etc).

That said, the ease of access kids have to any sort of music now is fantastic via Shazam, Spotify, online media and connection to artists.

In regards to the cool kids comments about U2, I’ve been seeing a few things where it’s says U2 hoodwinked folks or weren’t that good or that they’re a myth. Probably just in that cycle of being uncool.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I have to admit i rarely listen to U2 these days, i loved Achtung Baby and also The Josuah Tree albums when they were released but basically i only hear U2 songs now days on the radio when i'm in the car. The only U2 song i have on my IPOD playlist is New Years Day.