What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what centre have we signed?

Gronk

Staff member
Willie Tonga keeps his options open despite links to the Parramatta Eels

348748-tonga.jpg
QUEENSLAND centre Willie Tonga has been granted a fortnight to negotiate a contract release from the Cowboys due to the fact he remains unhappy in Townsville.

North Queensland chief executive Peter Jourdain has confirmed Tonga has 14 days to peruse the NRL's open market as speculation mounts he will sign with Parramatta.
The Eels have already signed his younger brother Esi Tonga for next season and the club has made no secret of its desire to recruit a quality outside back.
Tonga is also tight with in-form Eel Reni Maitua, who has been in silky touch for the past fortnight since returning from 18 months out of the NRL and is signed to Parramatta until the end of next season.
Cowboys centre Tonga still has a year to run on his contract but after consultation with club football manager Peter Parr the Queensland star was given permission to talk to rival clubs.

"Obviously there was a period last year where Willie informed us he was unhappy in Townsville and Peter Parr told him at the time if he still felt the same way in six months to come and see him," Jourdain said.
"Willie's very happy at the club but it's just living in Townsville where he's struggling a little bit. "We've given him a couple of weeks just to have a look around and see what else is out there and then come back to us."
The Eels yesterday repeatedly denied having signed Tonga, despite club legend Peter Sterling announcing on Channel Nine during Friday night's coverage that Parramatta was poised to make a big-name announcement in the next fortnight.
Eels chief executive Paul Osborne yesterday maintained no deal had been done and refused to comment on the mounting speculation.
"I've got no comment to make about any of it," Osborne said.
Eels coach Stephen Kearney has also denied Tonga will join the club next year.
The Queensland centre, who played 60 minutes in Origin I with a dislocated shoulder, is set to face the Knights in Newcastle tomorrow night.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-parramatta-eels/story-e6frexnr-1226091348770

Gronk

Staff member
Tonga to join brother at Parramatta as Kearney bolsters back line

ADRIAN PROSZENKO
09 Jul, 2011 12:06 AM
PARRAMATTA are set to announce the signing of Test centre Willie Tonga. The rumour mill was in overdrive at Parramatta Stadium last night after Channel Nine commentator Peter Sterling revealed the Eels were on the verge of a star acquisition following a conversation with Eels chief executive Paul Osborne.
''I spoke to Paul Osborne before kick-off … and he said he's signed an outside back today - and that it's a very good one,'' Sterling said during the broadcast.
''I said 'when will we know' and [he said] in a few weeks. But he told me before the game they had signed a quality centre.''
The Herald has learnt that North Queensland three-quarter Tonga is the player they were chasing.
Tonga's younger brother, Gold Coast centre Esikeli, has already committed to the blue and golds for the 2012 season.
The Eels made inquiries about Tonga at the end of last season following unconfirmed rumours he had fallen out with Cowboys coach Neil Henry. While he opted to stay put for this year, it's understood the Eels have finally got their man.
Parramatta coach Stephen Kearney is attempting to bolster key positions for next season and has already secured the services of South Sydney halfback Chris Sandow long term.
The news is a boost to the club, particularly given the lack of depth in the outside-back stocks following the loss of Timana Tahu and Eric Grothe before the season began.
http://www.moreechampion.com.au/new...ta-as-kearney-bolsters-back-line/2221147.aspx

Utey

Coach
Hmm, don't know about this one... Injury prone much? If fit, he could be in that Tahu mould and give us lots of strike if we allow him to get 1 on 1.

beave

Coach
Can't settle in TVL? What a lame excuse. We have everything here the capital cities pretty much have, He didn't seem to have a problem living here 3 years ago when he penned this 4 year deal he is currently serving, me thinks he's full of shit and has had a falling out with someone here in NQ, wether that is coaching staff or playing staff. If this move to Parra a year early on his contract is true then if I were in charge of the Cowboys I would want some compensation from Parra, in what form, I don't know but I doubt NQ were really prepared for losing a player of his calibre a year early but I guess in some ways is a blessing and frees up some coin for contract top ups for Tariq and Fai Fai Loa. Tonga is a good player but this year has looked like a sulking kid when he's playing, hopefully he moves down south and gets a bit more chipper because the game is better off for it.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Can't settle in TVL? What a lame excuse. We have everything here the capital cities pretty much have, He didn't seem to have a problem living here 3 years ago when he penned this 4 year deal he is currently serving, me thinks he's full of shit and has had a falling out with someone here in NQ, wether that is coaching staff or playing staff. If this move to Parra a year early on his contract is true then if I were in charge of the Cowboys I would want some compensation from Parra, in what form, I don't know but I doubt NQ were really prepared for losing a player of his calibre a year early but I guess in some ways is a blessing and frees up some coin for contract top ups for Tariq and Fai Fai Loa. Tonga is a good player but this year has looked like a sulking kid when he's playing, hopefully he moves down south and gets a bit more chipper because the game is better off for it.

so how did you guys compensate Newcastle when you took Corey Patterson from them?

beave

Coach
The knights didn't want him for next year and beyond, and thus pay most of his wage for the next 2 years. We won't be paying anything of Tongas contract as he is the one that wants to leave here, trying to compare the 2 situations is ridiculous and you know it.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Just to add, I'm not dirty with the eels over it, if he isn't happy up here and wants to be near family then no one can begrduge him that, but why should the cowboys just roll over and let him go mid contract and on his terms without some form of compensation?

Give us Fui and we'll call it even aye??? ;-)

Parra Pride

Referee
Just to add, I'm not dirty with the eels over it, if he isn't happy up here and wants to be near family then no one can begrduge him that, but why should the cowboys just roll over and let him go mid contract and on his terms without some form of compensation?

f**k off.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

How about we get Tonga and you get to keep Bani for 3 more years?? ;-)

Gronk

Staff member
A FAILURE to settle in Townsville is the sole reason behind Queensland State of Origin centre, Willie Tonga's yearning to find a new club, according to Cowboys chief executive, Peter Jourdain. Jourdain denied there had been a falling out between Tonga and coach, Neil Henry and said the Qld star was focussed on finishing the season strongly, starting with tonight's match against the Knights in Newcastle.
Parramatta are favourites to secure Tonga's services, especially as they have signed his brother, Esi from the Gold Coast and Willie is close mates with Eels Test utility, Reni Maitua.
For Parramatta to sign Tonga it is likely they will have to cut several players, with coach, Stephen Kearney faced with several tough decisions.
Jourdain said the Cowboys had made every effort to make Tonga feel at home in Townsville, even to the extent of getting him professional help away from football.
"He's quite happy in the team and his commitment cannot be questioned, given the effort he has made to play against the Knights after we thought he would be unavailable (with a bicep injury)," Jourdain said.
"But the bottom line is, he doesn't like living in Townsville.
"There has been not been a fallout with anyone on the coaching staff.
"We have given Willie's manager two weeks to talk to rival clubs. He is under contract here next year, and if he is leaving, we need to work it out soon so we can find a replacement."
Hooker, Aaron Payne (finger) is out of tonight's match, with Clint Amos the replacement. Five eighth, Ray Thompson (groin) is in doubt, with Ben Jones on standby.
Newcastle prop, Evarn Tuimavave (knee) is in doubt with Mark Taufua on standby.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...to-find-new-club/story-e6frep5o-1226091877289

natheel

Coach
I think the players to leave would be hicks, walker and possibly Webb along with reddy to cover tongas contract.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Oh well, if we have to cut Mortimer then so be it.

If no other club is prepared to pick him up then he still counts under our salary cap whether we cut him or not.

If another club does want him but aren't prepared to pay his full contract (likely) then the difference still counts under our cap.

Either way, cutting Mortimer is unlikley to give us much extra room to retain/recruit players. We're better off letting go of the ones who are already coming off contract at year's end, even if they're better players than Morts.