What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What convinced me about today.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Smartman said:
I got to give Ben Smith a big wrap.

His defence is second to none, closing on Matt Cooper as the best defensive centre in the game.

He shut down Tonga all day yesterday.

I agree with you smarty but the problem is, if you ask some people here you're not decent unless you score 3 tries a game..defensively he's excellent.

Smartman

Juniors
eelavation said:
I agree with you smarty but the problem is, if you ask some people here you're not decent unless you score 3 tries a game..defensively he's excellent.

Just as good as stopping 3 tries, Tonga looked dangerous most of the time he touched the ball but Smith stood solid.

Too many fans dont watch defense too often and just concentrate on attack.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Smartman said:
Just as good as stopping 3 tries, Tonga looked dangerous most of the time he touched the ball but Smith stood solid.

Too many fans dont watch defense too often and just concentrate on attack.

you said it...;-)

Pazza

First Grade
didnt reni start attacking down ben's side during the middle of the match and was totally ineffective

Eelementary

Post Whore
eelavation said:
We're a top 8 side, the only thing that would kill us at this stage are injuries and brain explosions and we're not imune to both.

If we keep the same lot on the park this year with possible improvements in some areas we'll be there , at the very least bottom half of the 8.

Not sure about that. In my opinion, a real top 8 side would have had the gall to attempt a field goal with ten minutes left. Instead, we decided to...Who knows?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Eelementary said:
Not sure about that. In my opinion, a real top 8 side would have had the gall to attempt a field goal with ten minutes left. Instead, we decided to...Who knows?

we beg to differ, a top 8 side will stick with one of the yardsticks in the comp despite making some poor decisions on the field, last year Canberra were renowned for winning the close games by making the right decisions but at the end of the day it still didn't get them to where they wanted to go.

these are the easiest things to coach however the hardest is to match a side like Canterbury for the full 80 which we did.

That game on Sunday gave me a lot of confidence in our Forwards. I'm not that upset really as it is still very in the year.

yy_cheng

Coach
Natalie's Daddy said:
One bad play didn't lose that match. We made a few errors and took some bad options. But in saying that it was a good effort.

I agree. Our inability to maintain pressure is what lost us the game.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
Jake the snake said:
That game on Sunday gave me a lot of confidence in our Forwards. I'm not that upset really as it is still very in the year.

Our forward pack is the biggest positve to come out of this game. It was important that we didn't get steam rolled, but it's dissapointing that they have this mental edge on us. We need to start beating the dogs just for confidence come semi final time.

The Colonel

Immortal
Eelementary said:

Actually a real top eight side has a number of options open to them. Sure the logical one was the field goal, however the kick across field by Tim was the next best option on that play after the ball was passed the wrong way - very nearly came off and if not for the knock on we would quite possible be saying an option it was.

The old adage is you generally learn more from a loss than you do from a win. Had the team won than the small problems that are there may well have been glossed over. In this respect they are laid bare and the coaching staff can fix them.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I agree that a try is obviously a better option than a field goal. But with 6 minutes left on the clock and the scores tied, I really think we should have gone for the one point. A field goal that close to full time puts your opponents on edge - they start hurrying their sets, because they need to get a penalty, try or a chance to get a field goal before full time. Just look at how we played after the Dogs sank their field goal - we lost composure, started rushing and making errors.

A good top 8 side, in my eyes, is good in tight matches. We've never really displayed that ability in a tight match to grab it by the scruff of the neck when the time is right.

Latest posts