What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do we need to get back to the top?

Ant

Juniors
I guess the answer for most is simple.

A quality half.

To a certain extent I think that is true. A half with a strong kicking game and good organisation would be the first aquisition. The question is where do we get one. Thurston, Cronk, Prince, Pearce, Mullen, Campese, Carney, Lockyer, Soward, Hornby, I don't think we will be able to get any of these guys in the next 12 months.

So do we pay overs for a Sandow??? He has more quality than either of our two guys, but is a strong organiser or does he have a strong kicking game?? I don't think so. But he is better than Mortimer or Robson, but long term he only the answer if another strong half arrives.

Do we head into the 20s and look for the best of that bunch. Who are the stand out young halves?? I know Michael Morgan at the cowboys is very good, he is not a small player either (which is an issue for our halves). There must be others.

What else.

Our props are a great rotation, Mannah, Fui, Shack, Poore, Webb, Allgood.

Hookers, if we got a very good one, it takes pressure off halves, but
keating and mcguire are not a bad combo.

Backrow, tend to think we could do with something here. We lack a real dynamic runner, or is it that we lack a half to create opportunities for them. I wonder if Loko is more suited here, what about young O'Hanlen. Blair would be awesome.

Centres, well if we could sign one big good centre it would be ideal, probably the same goes for wing. One quality outside back would be helpful.

Fullback, Hayne, Hayne Hayne. He is fantastic and frustrating, he has more ability than perhaps any player in the comp. But does he offer his team as much as a Slater or Boyd on a regular basis I think not. He is 100kg and jogs the ball back, he very rarely backs up his forwards, he is petulant on the field and lacks sportsmanship at times. The best fullbacks are all action, they are roving everywhere to get involved either as support players or as creative links. Jarryd has more ability than any fullback since Lockyer, but his involvement in game must increase if we are to succeed. He is paid like a true superstar he must play like one for 80 mins everyweek, not in spurts.
He ability and attitude has as much to do with our success as our failure, the other night was a classic example. Scored a couple of great tries then gets sinbinned by a headbutt, then was not in the game the rest of the night. Barba is not as good but his willingness to be involved made him better on the night.
And I will be brutal and I say it as a great fan as well as critic. Is hayne close to the worst defencive fullback in the game, how often does he make a tackle?? He either is not in position or makes a flimsy attempt then looks up seemingly looking for someone else to blame.

So one half, one outside back, one backrower and Hayne please play to your potential.

Suitman

Post Whore
That's about it in a nutshell, but everything you covered has been stated on this forum over the past 3 months.

Next.

Suity

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
A half with a strong kicking game and good organisation would be the first aquisition.

You don't need an organising halfback any more - look at the Dragons and the Storm. They play with a tight structure so they just need halves that execute well. They also each have one good long kicker. That's all we need.

That's also why most teams split their halves.

Sandow's not a great long kicker but he's better than Robson and Mortimer. We do also have Hayne who kicks pretty big when his hammy's not playing up.

Sandow offers the bonus that he's a playmaker - he's a threat inside the 20 that opens everything else up.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
That's about it in a nutshell, but everything you covered has been stated on this forum over the past 3 months.

Next.

Suity

What! And no complaint about the length of the post? :sarcasm:
f**k me dead, you must be in a very good mood today.:)
Or he/she is your secret lover.:shock:

Suitman

Post Whore
What! And no complaint about the length of the post? :sarcasm:
f**k me dead, you must be in a very good mood today.:)
Or he/she is your secret lover.:shock:

Ant talked about fact, not crazy sh*te. That was the difference.
Still, it was covering ground that has been top soiled about 18 times in the past 3 weeks.
Nothing new here people.
Move along.

Suity

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Ant talked about fact, not crazy sh*te. That was the difference.
Still, it was covering ground that has been top soiled about 18 times in the past 3 weeks.
Nothing new here people.
Move along.

Suity

Mate, you have all the credentials for becoming the next Peter at the gate.

babn180l.jpg

eel01s

Bench
Ticker. A willingness for the guy beside you. Intestinal fortitude.

BINGO!

This is what we need, more than anything else. When you go back to that Semi in 1998, in virtually every BIG game we have choked.

1997 v Knights
1998 v Dogs
1999 v Storm
2001 v Knights
2005 v Cowboys
2009 v Storm

I won't count 2000, 2006 or 2007 because we did fight hard in those games.

If SK can bring one thing to our Club, I hope it is a new attitude and mental toughness. If we show that, the signings will follow.

BINGO!

This is what we need, more than anything else. When you go back to that Semi in 1998, in virtually every BIG game we have choked.

1997 v Knights
1998 v Dogs
1999 v Storm
2001 v Knights
2005 v Cowboys
2009 v Storm

If SK can bring one thing to our Club, I hope it is a new attitude and mental toughness. If we show that, the signings will follow.

i would only count 2009 v storm as half a choke we fought hard in the second half to get back into the game

Maroubra Eel

Coach
2001 was a good effort because we flogged Newcastle in the 2nd half. I still enjoy watching the it on vhs.

I was so high up in the stadium I couldn't see how long there was to go on the scoreboard.

I was just hoping time didn't run out.

Eels Dude

Coach
BINGO!

1997 v Knights
1998 v Dogs
1999 v Storm
2001 v Knights
2005 v Cowboys
2009 v Storm

No way would I call the 2009 GF a choke... and we could bring up a number of finals games in 2000, 2007, and 2009 where we did the opposite of choke and in fact win despite the odds being well against us.

2001 was a good effort because we flogged Newcastle in the 2nd half. I still enjoy watching the it on vhs.
the end is so heartbreaking though we got sooo close!

i still remember it because that year it was on at some rediculously late hour (7pm? 7:30?) so nine could charge even MORE for advertising because it was in a primetime slot and they had 60 minutes on between reserve and first grade with a story about homeless junkies wandering the streets not exactly what you want to see to pump you up for a game of footy

Maroubra Eel

Coach
the end is so heartbreaking though we got sooo close!

i still remember it because that year it was on at some rediculously late hour (7pm? 7:30?) so nine could charge even MORE for advertising because it was in a primetime slot and they had 60 minutes on between reserve and first grade with a story about homeless junkies wandering the streets not exactly what you want to see to pump you up for a game of footy

It wasn't a story about homeless junkies. I think it was alive cross to the fans in Church St mall.

ChokeTrain

Juniors
From a post I made in another thread:
Now I'm a dog supporter, but I can honestly say this, you need to play Hayne much closer to the line. He's a great fullback, no doubt, but he's your main weapon and I can tell you I shat brix everytime he was close to the ball. You've got two awesome props, but you lack a dangerous second rower (Horo isn't really what I'd call dangerous). You made a huge mistake letting Feleti go, but there's no use crying over spoiled milk. I don't think you should go and put all the blame on Kearney though, yet. Give him until the end of 2012 before judging him. I want to see how he recruits for next season. You need a new fullback, a proper half, a hooker and an attacking second rower.

Now if I were on the Eels bored I'd throw the kitchen sink at Boyd, although that could be a lost cause. Will Hopoate could be another option, provided he hasn't been signed yet. I'm a bit shocked that Kerney didn't try and lure Hohaia over, but he's gone now.

Your biggest concern will be a proper half, looking at the off contract list, I can't find one that would work at the Eels. Sandow is the biggest name, apparently on the outer with Souths, but I don't rate him as a half. Still he's better then your two current halves combined.

Hooker, Matt Keating should be used on the bench, and McGuire was past it three years ago. I'd go hard for Aaron Payne. He's off contract, solid, and would be rather cheap. I mean unless you want John Morris, who's the other off contract hooker.

And lastly, a ball playing second rower. Sutton is not a 5/8, he's a lock. You could really use someone like him in your team. He wouldn't be cheap, though I assume you have money in the cap.

Your off contract list:
Parramatta Eels Chris Hicks, Tom Humble, Taniela Lasalo, Manase Manuokafoa, Casey McGuire, Anthony Mitchell, Pele Peletelese, Joel Reddy,Jeff Robson, Paul Whatuira

The bolded one should be retained, with the underlined one being used as depth.

Imagine if you had a team looking something like this:
1.Boyd/Hayne
6. Boyd/Hayne
7. Anyone but Robson/Mortimer
8. Moi Moi
9. Payne
10. Mannah
11. Hindmarsh
12. Horo
13. Sutton

If you can build a team around something like that, you'll go a long way to being contenders again.

I'd hope you'd have at least around 400k in your cap with your current squad. It's feasible.