What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you like about kurt gidley

Kurt was at one stage being mentioned as a possible 5/8 for NSW this year.I love his enthusiasm for the kick chase and his step.So what do we like about him?

Big Tim

First Grade
Kick chase and defence.

Was a wicked centre when younger.... would love to see him out there, though I like Brad Tighe in the same spot.

chinorocks

Juniors
Kick chase, defence and enthusiasm. Also the danger he creates when he runs it close to the opposition tryline.

Doctor

Bench
He is one of the best defenders at the club, and arguably the fittest player. He's versatile, agile, pretty enthusiastic and links well with Johns as an extra ball-runner or line-break support player.

We probably see his best work in his kick-chase game -- regardless of whether he puts the kick in, or if he is chasing someone else's kick, he is usually the first one there, or at the very least the one who does the bulk of the work.

I think he would make a great centre or lock because of the above qualities. I would love to see the two Gidleys in the numbers 3 and 4 jerseys for Newcastle.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Not much, but I do respect his defensive abilities and his enthusiasm on the kick chase. I just wish he'd stop pretending to be a 5/8th

Stuzmeister

Juniors
I basically agree with all of the above.

His best quality is his kick chase IMO. His enthusiasm is second to none. His defence is excellent. He would make just as much of a contribution, if not more, if he was in the centres or at lock with Mullen at 5/8.

northey

First Grade
hahahahahahahahah

good one gene, but i would rather stick a bag over his head and then look at his body lol

Yosh

Coach
when he had to play no. 7 during the 04 season he had a nice short grubber kick. shocking long kick game but had a good short one, which i think would be great for a centre kicking short for his winger, catching the defence off guard early in the tackle count close to the opposition line.

macavity

Referee
good thread - i was actually thinking of starting a "Kurt Gidley Appreciation Thread" - after all the bagging he gets on here... we really need to remind ourselves that although we disagree over his best position, he is still a bloody good footballer, and we would rather have him here than not.

what do I like about Kidley? He would make a fabulous quarterback.... ;-)

roopy

Referee
When he was a junior he was very much a guy who just played for himself - and i thought he was at his best then.
He had one objective - find a way over the tryline.
Supercoach has basically drilled that right out of him and turned him into a 'team' player - meaning he doesn't look to score, but tries to set up other players mostly.

I saw the other day that Brian Smith thinks he is the number one priority to sign - and I think Smith will tell him to forget everything Hagan has told him and start playing 'selfishly' which should turn him into one of our top attacking weapons - where ever he plays.

He is very mobile, very fit, has great vision (mostly for himself), is a fearless tackler, is in his prime, is very loyal to the club.
Used correctly by a good coach he will be the sort of player who will be the cornerstone of our team.
The one thing he can't do - is be a playmaker - which is the one thing Hagan has been trying to turn him into for 3 years.

astrogirl

First Grade
Alex28 said:
LMAO Mac :)

defence, kick chase. has some great qualities but is just in the wrong position...
The coach picks the team tho, so it's not Kurt's fault - unless he's in coach Hagan's ear every week whining "But Coaaaaach, I only wanna play five-eiiiiiiiiiiigth......."

Rod

Bench
Defence, kick chase, fitness, enthusiasm/determination, strength close to the line.

In fact I guess you could say I'm a bit of a fan of the guy.

Gene Krupa

Referee
astrogirl said:
The coach picks the team tho, so it's not Kurt's fault - unless he's in coach Hagan's ear every week whining "But Coaaaaach, I only wanna play five-eiiiiiiiiiiigth......."

What? Like Tahu? "I wanna be a centre!" :cry:

Latest posts