What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Do You Think Spiteris' Role Could Be?

antonius

Coach
It's been mentioned in other threads ( By Roopy I think) how well he went during a stint at Hooker in Premmy League last weekend. This raises a question that again I think Roopy can take credit for "Is it worth trying to give him a Craig Wing type role" Thinking about it, with his pace and evasiveness he would be ideal. A bit like Sullivan at the Sharks, he creates havok coming on after 20 mins in either half, running through the tired forwards. The more I think about it the more I like the idea. Look at guys like Preston Cambell, I agree with Roops I think Spiteri could fit right into that mould of player.

macavity

Referee
as long as he can pass off the ground, and hence fill the dummy half role, could be a great idea. we know he has speed, but how is his general passing game and can he kick..?

defence?

roopy

Referee
I think it is obvious to everyone that he would fail in firstgrade as a winger. He is very short, and most opposition wingers would line up to out jump him to score.

He has actually only played League for a bit over two years - one year for Cessnock, and one and a bit for us - so he hasn't had the chance to really explore where he is best suited in the game.

He has the perfect build and physical abilities to be a halfback - but learning halfback would be too hard a task for a guy his age.

I've thought since last year (I'd find the thread - but i haven't got 4 hours to search) that he could learn to play hooker, and do it very well.

At the end of last season he started getting more involved in the play by going in a having the odd run from dummy half - and he does that well. He needs to work on his fronton defence and his passing game, but he has a low to the ground hookers build which should mean he can deliver the ball quickly from dummy half.

I'd love to see him develop hooker skills and relieve Bedsy for 20 minutes a game in firstgrade - he would be really dangerous against tired forwards, and if he was on the bench we could replace a backline loss with a really dangerous winger, rather than have simmo move to the centres.

antonius

Coach
They reckon he was a sensation from dummy half on the weekend, he is a very good cover defender, front on I'm not so sure, only ever seen him chase guys down really. He's a slippery little customer though, and full of enthusiasm. Puts in the odd chip chase now and again.

Quigley

Juniors
Most teams have a player that can come off the bench and cause problems for the oppositions defence out of dummy half. e.g Wing and Sullivan.

He could be the spark that we need to get over the tryline.

Spike

First Grade
My only ? is in regards to his front on defence. I say leave him in the 9 in premier league for a couple of matches and see how he makes out

thuganomics

Coach
Spiteri reminds me of a Michael Sullivan for the Sharks.

Takes advantage of the quick play the balls and takes some great scoots out of dummy half with great acceleration.

macavity

Referee
Quigley would make a great captain-coach in the Real NRL or something.... or maybe ESL?

roopy

Referee
Quigley is only about 22.
I'll be very surprized if he isn't given a good contract somewhere next season.

Ben

Bench
not a bad idea, but it will be even more ideal if buderus was big enough to play as a lock or backrower...spiteri on th bench is fine, but im not so sure about taking buderus off to slot him in

macavity

Referee
Don't get me wrong I think he is class (talk about HEART, he could teach George a thing or 2,369), its just there isn't really a great role available at the Knights with Danny being an 80min player, and I just can't see him playing against Newcastle for some reason... you watch he will star at (say) the Broncos now. :lol:

And he would make a great RealNRL captain/coach... ;-)

tupac

Juniors
why suggest somthing that would never happen, the chance of hagen doing this is about..................... 2 tenths of nothing. It would be good like dropping george carmont, good but wont happen.

MRLA

Juniors
macavity said:
...we know he has speed, but how is his general passing game and can he kick..?

defence?
Kicking drop-goals wasn't his favourite part of the 2005 Orara Valley Sevens.

But I sincerely hope the opportunity is given to Spits to play 1st Grade in the very near future.

Doctor

Bench
This is all good in theory, but whilesoever George Carmont is still considered a first-grader, and the likes of Tighe, Young, Mullen, Spiteri and co are not, I dare say a move by Spiteri into first-grade, let alone as an impact-player, is highly unlikely.

Michael Hagan's current plans don't seem to include anything even remotely dangerous -- which is a dangerous stratedy unto itself if you ask me. I'm not a first-grade coach though, so I wouldn't know anything. Results say a lot though, just quietly. :-k

roopy

Referee
Having now seen him play hooker - he is an outstanding dummy half. He directs players around to be where he wants them to be and he gets good clean passes away quickly to the right people - but of course, his real talent is in dummy half running - he had three or four dummy half runs yesterday that were Wing like - one of them he scored from 10 metres out - right through a stacked defence.

In defence he went straight to the wing. It would be unfair to the forwards to have to carry him in defence for a whole game - but I can see him getting 20 minutes in firstgrade and giving us a new dimension to our attack - and giving Bedsy a rest so we don't burn out the guy too quickly.

antonius

Coach
roopy said:
Having now seen him play hooker - he is an outstanding dummy half. He directs players around to be where he wants them to be and he gets good clean passes away quickly to the right people - but of course, his real talent is in dummy half running - he had three or four dummy half runs yesterday that were Wing like - one of them he scored from 10 metres out - right through a stacked defence.

In defence he went straight to the wing. It would be unfair to the forwards to have to carry him in defence for a whole game - but I can see him getting 20 minutes in firstgrade and giving us a new dimension to our attack - and giving Bedsy a rest so we don't burn out the guy too quickly.
What's the chance of it happening though Roopy? I'd say just about zero, this week would be a good chance to try it, Quigs to start the game, Spiteri on the bench. It also covers us for a backline problem.