What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think we need to win a premiership??

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
This is for all but mainly aimed at the optimists who seem to blame everything BUT the coach and his staff.

What are we doing wrong? What do we need to finally win a premiership

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Continue doing what we are doing (junior pathways, good cap management, not constantly changing coach, not listening to fans/media), then wait for luck, like South’s, Cowboys, Sharks did ......

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
I think everyone by now knows my stance... we need a better coach. I think we have a great juniors base and development squad, it also looks like o,niel and his team have got it right with recruitment and retention, so to me the only weak link is the coaching.

You don't have to be Einstein to see how clueless and one dimensional they are out there. They are under coached. It is as obvious as my balls on Gary gutfulls chin.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think we need more physicality.

We are quite physical in attack, where we can go through a lot of teams - but that same level of physicality gets put away in defence.

I am not saying that we have to smash players with every tackle; what I am saying, though, is that I have often been puzzled as to why we employ what I like to call a "passive defence"- we will often wait for the ball carrier to get to the advantage line before making contact.

By this point, the runner has the momentum, and it takes us extra effort to wrestle him down and/or prevent an offload.

I know there is a fear of missing a tackle, and it leading to a line break - but our "safe" style of tackling doesn't work, in my opinion.

We don't need a pack full of Nathan Brown-type attitudes, but having forwards who look to dominate the defensive collision would go a long way to helping our overall defence, in my opinion.

Linked to the physicality is that we often do not get the better of collisions when defending - we tend to hit, and fall off.

I don't think Gutherson is vocal enough from the back, either.

Lastly, it confuses me why we don't use our pack's skills to our advantage - Lane, Paulo, Papli'i, Matterson, and Brown all have a good offload, or pass at/before the line.

Tonight, Brown was doing a lot of passing, and he helped generate some momentum for us.

But the rest of our pack is also quite skilled - we need use them better imo.

Finally - STOP GOING LEFT EVERY TIME IN THE ATTACKING RED ZONE. I know Sivo is a weapon 20m out - but we tend to telegraph our desire to shift left with slow, rainbow passes - allowing out opponents' defence to shift, and adjust.

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
I think we need more physicality.

We are quite physical in attack, where we can go through a lot of teams - but that same level of physicality gets put away in defence.

I am not saying that we have to smash players with every tackle; what I am saying, though, is that I have often been puzzled as to why we employ what I like to call a "passive defence"- we will often wait for the ball carrier to get to the advantage line before making contact.

By this point, the runner has the momentum, and it takes us extra effort to wrestle him down and/or prevent an offload.

I know there is a fear of missing a tackle, and it leading to a line break - but our "safe" style of tackling doesn't work, in my opinion.

We don't need a pack full of Nathan Brown-type attitudes, but having forwards who look to dominate the defensive collision would go a long way to helping our overall defence, in my opinion.

Linked to the physicality is that we often do not get the better of collisions when defending - we tend to hit, and fall off.

I don't think Gutherson is vocal enough from the back, either.

Lastly, it confuses me why we don't use our pack's skills to our advantage - Lane, Paulo, Papli'i, Matterson, and Brown all have a good offload, or pass at/before the line.

Tonight, Brown was doing a lot of passing, and he helped generate some momentum for us.

But the rest of our pack is also quite skilled - we need use them better imo.

Finally - STOP GOING LEFT EVERY TIME IN THE ATTACKING RED ZONE. I know Sivo is a weapon 20m out - but we tend to telegraph our desire to shift left with slow, rainbow passes - allowing out opponents' defence to shift, and adjust.
Going left is excruciatingly painful to watch anymore. It's become so obvious, its painful, but that's on the coach dude. It's the only game plan Arthur has....sigh.....how does no one else see this??

Eelementary

Post Whore
Going left is excruciatingly painful to watch anymore. It's become so obvious, its painful, but that's on the coach dude. It's the only game plan Arthur has....sigh.....how does no one else see this??

I'm not saying I disagree.

But perpetually going left to the point where everyone can see it a mile away is the easiest fix on my list.

We need an attitude shift.

Dare I say it - we need to start showing some arrogance on the field.

Watching the Panthers this afternoon, they looked in complete control of the game - even when the Dogs stood up, and gave it back to the Panthers, they took it in their stride, and paid it back triple.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I think everyone by now knows my stance... we need a better coach. I think we have a great juniors base and development squad, it also looks like o,niel and his team have got it right with recruitment and retention, so to me the only weak link is the coaching.

You don't have to be Einstein to see how clueless and one dimensional they are out there. They are under coached. It is as obvious as my balls on Gary gutfulls chin.

Fair enough but name a better coach we can get?

eels_fan

First Grade
Unless Robinson or Bellamy wants to come to parra, we have the best coach available for us. That’s not happening.

we need a blistering speed winger, and a quality centre.

Also feel we need one more dynamic forward off the bench.

eels_fan

First Grade
And should have added, I think we need a strong attack minded assistant coach. Keep kidwell if he and BA work well together but that doesn’t mean we can’t bring another on. Get Paul Green after origin, or Pay, or Jason Taylor

Bandwagon

Staff member
We need more fans that shit the bed after a loss, more fans that won't accept the mediocracy of 9 and 2 at the midway point of the season, and more fans that know deep in their heart of hearts that being in the top four consistently over the past 30 odd games is a sign of extreme mental weakness.

Our current bunch of fans have been good, but they simply don't have what it takes to go to the next level.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
We need to bring back Fitzy, Spags and all of the other greasy charlatans that were running the joint into the ground.

Latest posts