What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Happens If A Footy Game Is Cancelled?

mattyg

Bench
if the game is cancelled i would hope they would play it on tuesday night. Its not as if Knights/Tigers have many players in origin anyway (2 between both teams), so it isn't that much of an ask for both teams to back up next weekend anyway...especially considering both the Bulldogs and the Broncos back up from origin on the Friday Night

gunnamatta bay

Referee
TeamSatan said:
In the olden days they used to cancel games and then play them midweek later in the season.
I don't think they will cancel games now because of the television commitments.

In the 70's councils used to make the call because they own the grounds.

All the grounds have proper drainage systems now so it shouldn't be a problem.

Most grounds in the 70's would have resembled a huge pig sty in these conditions. Thats probably why the forwards were called 'pigs' cause they were allways wallowing in the mud.

innsaneink

Referee
Yeah I'm sure the game will go ahead, I think reports of EAS under 1m of water are probably somewhat out of proportion or BS to put it bluntly.

Estoboy

Juniors
Coming back from work this morning

Victoria Rd (ANZAC BRIDGE) was completely flooded

a taxi trip that normally costs $13 ended up costing me A LOT more

made me realise how bad it must be for you nuke fans

innsaneink said:
Yeah I'm sure the game will go ahead, I think reports of EAS under 1m of water are probably somewhat out of proportion or BS to put it bluntly.

No BS ink..................ground WAS UNDER WATER.......drained away quickly once the rain stopped (and so it should, it has half of Stockton beach under it :lol: )

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Wheelsy said:
The game's actually on Sunday. ;-)

Wow, Fox is really going to be p*ssed then. :oops: Channel Nine even more so if they don't realise they have a sunday afternoon game. It'll be re-runs of Lassie from 4pm.

coolumsharkie

Referee
TeamSatan said:
In the olden days they used to cancel games and then play them midweek later in the season.
I don't think they will cancel games now because of the television commitments.

In the 70's councils used to make the call because they own the grounds.

70's? Olden days? :(

Razor

Coach
Probably the same as they did the last time a game was called off - 1996 Newcastle v Souths.

It was scheduled 5-6 weeks later, but was still classed as a match in the original round.

Slackboy72

Coach
KeepingTheFaith said:
It'll be re-runs of Lassie from 4pm.

Gilmore girls or some such rubbish if you live in league-fearing Melbourne. We never get regular season games till the graveyard shift.

State of Origin is delayed till 9:35 so they can show the EJ Whitten celebrity knockabout match.

Weather won't stop Knights

By David Beniuk
June 09, 2007
NEWCASTLE officials are confident EnergyAustralia Stadium will recover from torrential rain and flooding in time for tomorrow's NRL clash with Wests Tigers.
The immediate area around the stadium has been flooded and the Knights' administration office lost its roof in yesterday's wild weather, which resulted in a natural disaster being declared by the New South Wales government in the Hunter region.
A Knights spokesman said the playing surface was covered with water yesterday but drainage at the ground was working well, although today's training session was abandoned.
Tomorrow's Jersey Flegg match between Newcastle and Wests has been called off, but three matches are still scheduled to go ahead at EnergyAustralia Stadium - a NSW versus Queensland fixture between deaf players, the Premier League match between Newcastle and Wests and the NRL match at 3pm (AEST).
Stand-in Newcastle captain Kirk Reynoldson said he's expecting tomorrow's match - the first at home since Knights coach Brian Smith declared several off-contract players were not in his plans beyond 2007 - to be his most emotional since joining the club.
"I went for a drive this morning, it looks like a movie," Reynoldson said.
"I wasn't here when the (1989) earthquake was on but . . . I reckon it will be a sellout.
"I think it will be one of those situations where it's probably the only positive stuff to come out of a bad weekend.
"It might bring the town together . . . I think that's what Newcastle has represented over the last 20 years of the team's existence."
Officials say ticket sales this week were already the highest for 2007 and they expect a crowd of over 20,000.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21876587-23214,00.html

Winston Smith

Juniors
I'm sure the rule is home team forfeits if the game can't be played. Its their fault if their ground is a rice paddy unfit for play.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its happened three times I believe in the history of the comp. The first time the game was just cancelled and both teams received 2 points (way back in the 20's or 30's I believe) Souths v University it was.

Second and third time, the matches were rescheduled to be played at a later date. With such a tight schedule, I dare say the game would be played either midweek after origin, or it would be transferred to an alternative venue of the home teams choosing.

bartman

Immortal
Crikey. How strong must the winds have been? And lucky hthat ship beached itself lightly, imagine if the hull/tanks broke or it came in sideways and onto the shore with a wave.