What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What I witnessed today was a disgrace

meltiger

First Grade
Just awful officiating. Disgraceful.

I nearly choked on my Rump Steak when they gave Lewis' second try and it just kept getting worse from there.

And the Cameron Smith tap, what a ridiculous decision, he was on the mark and tapped the ball with his feet, play on.

I can't see anything in the OP that I disagree with.

Admitedly, I was at the ground so didn't have the benefit of the commentary audio that you did, but it looked like Archer was talking to one of the English players. That scenario will always have the play called back.

In saying that, the English bloke who charged at him should have clobbered him and claimed he didn't hear the whistle :D

The Lewis decision was exceedingly ridiculous though, agree there. How a video ref can get a decision so patently wrong I have no idea. At least with Benefit of the Doubt calls, you can excuse the ref, but they gave that a straight out try? Get f**k outta here lol All at the ground, English and Aussies alike were astounded by that one.

At the end of the day though, as bad as the officiating was, England killed themselves. Got themselves back into the game after Australia scored off the back of a soft penalty, to lead the contest 8-6, then proceded to play dropsies almost every time they had it for the next 20 minutes. No one can blame the officials for that.

DC_fan

Coach
Listen, we know we're sh*t.

Okay?

We haven't won for 40 years because we aren't good enough. We don't need you idiots telling us. Thanks for the heads up on that, sherlock.

But one thing we expect, is a fair crack of the whip.

Today we didn't get it. The officiating was an absolute disgrace.

Australia don't need the calls, they can take england apart without them.

But during the game:

2nd minute: Gallen moves off the mark but the referee gives a penalty against Ben Westwood
4th minute: contentious one, Tate knocks on under pressure Tony Archer calls for a penalty try, video gives a penalty which I can live with
5th minute: Luke Lewis scores a try from the pressuer created by Tony Archers decision against Ben Westwood
16th minute: Nate Myles rakes the ball out in at a two-on-one tackle with Thaiday while tackling Darrell Goulding Tony Archer gives a knock-on where it should have been a penalty to England.
18th minute: From the resulting scrum Luke Lewis scores for Australia, this follows a blatant knock-on by Cooper Cronk which Tony Archer and the video ref both miss
21st minute: Earl Crabtree takes his first drive and David Shillington clearly has hold of his ponytail while making the tackle which results in a sloppy play the ball and James Roby knocks on. Should have been a penalty to England instead Australia gets a scrum.
22nd minute: From the scrum Billy Slater scores a try the replay shows a double knock-on first from Tom Briscoe then from Brent Tate before Billy Slater touches down.
26th minute: Sam Tomkins is clearly tripped by Tom Learoyd Lahrs which happens right in front of Tony Archer but no penalty!
27th minute: When England should be attacking from a penalty Australia now have possession and from this set of six Brent Tate scores a contentious try which the replays show the possibility of a right ankle being on the touchline and the probability that he bounced the ball.
29th minute: Tony Archer pulls an offside penalty from nowhere and England are again under pressure, the offside is no different than 90% of all the play the balls during a game
30th minute: following the penalty and during the resulting set of six Willie Tonga scores a try
35th minute: Tom Briscoe puts Leroy Cudjoe through a gap from a pass which is flat at worst, Cudjoe is in the clear and could potentially score but Tony Archer pulls them back for a forward pass

Half Time: the damage is done and Tony Archer can go back to the dressing room and assess what he needs to do in order to avoid questions about his impartiality.

46th minute: Australia score a try from a Luke Lewis pass to Cooper Cronk which is 2.5 m forward. Tony Archer and his officials failed to see it yet Tony Archer's last major involvement in the game was to halt an England move which could have resulted in a try for a forward pass that wasn't.
48th minute:Tom Learoyd Lahrs clearly knocks on at the play the ball but Tony Archer sees a penalty to Australia
51st minute: David Shillington clearly impedes Shaun Lunt from an offside position but Tony Archer waves play on
57th minute: England under pressure having conceded two drop outs, from the second Nate Myles clearly knocks on at the play the ball but Tony Archer waves play on and England remain under pressure in defence
58 minute: having withstood the pressure Sam Burgess has the ball raked out by Paul Gallen in a three on one tackle Tony Archer gives Australia a scrum instead of an England penalty
59th minute: Pantomime time, Cameron Smith clearly taps the ball which is obviously against the wishes of Darren Lockyer and Tony Archer allows them to change their mind. Worse than that he then lectures James Graham for having the audacity as England captain to question what just happened.
65th minute: Another two on one strip this time on Joel Tomkins by Nate Myles and Anthony Watmough, should have been another England penalty yet Tony Archer gives Australian the scrum
70th minute: another contentious one, Shaun Lunt seems to have scored a try, the video ref passes it back to Tony Archer who instantly says no try.

It's a total joke. Everytime we come to your god forsaken country we play you in your own backyard, with an aussie ref and funnily enough every single 50/50 goes against us.

It'd be nice to see england play australia down under and get a fair go.

Maybe we'd lose by 10 instead of 20?

who knows, but quite frankly, you're a bunch of tossers.

I can't believe someone watched the game for sole purpose of keeping track of decisions that went against there team and when they happened.

Typically pommy and thier boring lives. Get over it and most importantly get a life.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Listen, we know we're sh*t.

Okay?

We haven't won for 40 years because we aren't good enough. We don't need you idiots telling us. Thanks for the heads up on that, sherlock.

But one thing we expect, is a fair crack of the whip.

Today we didn't get it. The officiating was an absolute disgrace.

Australia don't need the calls, they can take england apart without them.

But during the game:

2nd minute: Gallen moves off the mark but the referee gives a penalty against Ben Westwood
4th minute: contentious one, Tate knocks on under pressure Tony Archer calls for a penalty try, video gives a penalty which I can live with
5th minute: Luke Lewis scores a try from the pressuer created by Tony Archers decision against Ben Westwood
16th minute: Nate Myles rakes the ball out in at a two-on-one tackle with Thaiday while tackling Darrell Goulding Tony Archer gives a knock-on where it should have been a penalty to England.
18th minute: From the resulting scrum Luke Lewis scores for Australia, this follows a blatant knock-on by Cooper Cronk which Tony Archer and the video ref both miss
21st minute: Earl Crabtree takes his first drive and David Shillington clearly has hold of his ponytail while making the tackle which results in a sloppy play the ball and James Roby knocks on. Should have been a penalty to England instead Australia gets a scrum.
22nd minute: From the scrum Billy Slater scores a try the replay shows a double knock-on first from Tom Briscoe then from Brent Tate before Billy Slater touches down.
26th minute: Sam Tomkins is clearly tripped by Tom Learoyd Lahrs which happens right in front of Tony Archer but no penalty!
27th minute: When England should be attacking from a penalty Australia now have possession and from this set of six Brent Tate scores a contentious try which the replays show the possibility of a right ankle being on the touchline and the probability that he bounced the ball.
29th minute: Tony Archer pulls an offside penalty from nowhere and England are again under pressure, the offside is no different than 90% of all the play the balls during a game
30th minute: following the penalty and during the resulting set of six Willie Tonga scores a try
35th minute: Tom Briscoe puts Leroy Cudjoe through a gap from a pass which is flat at worst, Cudjoe is in the clear and could potentially score but Tony Archer pulls them back for a forward pass

Half Time: the damage is done and Tony Archer can go back to the dressing room and assess what he needs to do in order to avoid questions about his impartiality.

46th minute: Australia score a try from a Luke Lewis pass to Cooper Cronk which is 2.5 m forward. Tony Archer and his officials failed to see it yet Tony Archer's last major involvement in the game was to halt an England move which could have resulted in a try for a forward pass that wasn't.
48th minute:Tom Learoyd Lahrs clearly knocks on at the play the ball but Tony Archer sees a penalty to Australia
51st minute: David Shillington clearly impedes Shaun Lunt from an offside position but Tony Archer waves play on
57th minute: England under pressure having conceded two drop outs, from the second Nate Myles clearly knocks on at the play the ball but Tony Archer waves play on and England remain under pressure in defence
58 minute: having withstood the pressure Sam Burgess has the ball raked out by Paul Gallen in a three on one tackle Tony Archer gives Australia a scrum instead of an England penalty
59th minute: Pantomime time, Cameron Smith clearly taps the ball which is obviously against the wishes of Darren Lockyer and Tony Archer allows them to change their mind. Worse than that he then lectures James Graham for having the audacity as England captain to question what just happened.
65th minute: Another two on one strip this time on Joel Tomkins by Nate Myles and Anthony Watmough, should have been another England penalty yet Tony Archer gives Australian the scrum
70th minute: another contentious one, Shaun Lunt seems to have scored a try, the video ref passes it back to Tony Archer who instantly says no try.

It's a total joke. Everytime we come to your god forsaken country we play you in your own backyard, with an aussie ref and funnily enough every single 50/50 goes against us.

It'd be nice to see england play australia down under and get a fair go.

Maybe we'd lose by 10 instead of 20?

who knows, but quite frankly, you're a bunch of tossers.

An England v New Zealand Final would be a financial disaster for the promoters.. It is no surprise that Archer was decided to be the man for the job.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Well ^ is not really true mate. I bought my finals tickets weeks ago and I would still be going regardless of who was in the final. There are tonnes of Kiwi and Pom fans up here in Brissy and the place would still have sold a great number of tickets even if Australia didnt make it.

Take your tinfoil hat off mate

Fonzie

Juniors
An England v New Zealand Final would be a financial disaster for the promoters.. It is no surprise that Archer was decided to be the man for the job.

Only if they are taking an absurdly short term view. An England v NZ final would have beena financial boost for attendances at FN2011 and WC 2013, and most importantly, the international component of the NRL's TV rights negotiations.

I can't believe someone watched the game for sole purpose of keeping track of decisions that went against there team and when they happened.

Typically pommy and thier boring lives. Get over it and most importantly get a life.

To be fair, the mistakes were so obvious that keeping track of poor decisions wasnt required, they are so blantant that it is easy to recall.

Why would this grand conspiracy ensure this weekend's game is a dead rubber? That makes no sense at all. Not that any of it makes any sense, but that is particualrly stupid.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Hopefully in the future England will not be bullied by Australia into accepting the referee that Australia want. Last night had to be the last straw, surely. In many respects they only have themselves to blame.

The disappointing thing for me was not only that the game was officiated according to the nuances of the NRL, but some of the calls were just patently wrong. I'm not sure what the answer is though, because at the end of the day we only have two competitions from which to draw referees. In future all Australia-England encounters are going to have to be officiated by individuals from the NZRL or... (gulp) Elite.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sucks eh. To be on the receiving end of bad officiating.

England did it to Australia for at least 60 years on English soil. Even cost us the Ashes in the 20's when the ref even admitted he couldn't award a try to Joe 'Chimpy' Busch, which would have won the series for Australia.

His reason, as he said to the Australian Players after he disallowed the try "Fellas, I've gotta live here, you don't"

My point - dodgy refereeing has been part and parcel of the game since it's inception. If you have to rely on a referee to win a game of footy then you clearly aren't going to be good enough.

Yes, Australia got a heap of bad calls they shouldn't have, I'm not denying that, but in all honesty, even if those calls were called properly, England still would have lost.

As a neutral fan I thought it was disgusting. Archer & Steve Clarke straight up robbed the Poms. I feel really bad for them.

Australia's pack was getting smashed until Shillo & TLL hit the pitch and Burgess left it. From then on Aussie started getting the ascendancy, and the calls in their favour during that period ended any hope the Poms had.

Can't wait to get our hands on the Roos next week...

adamkungl

Immortal
typical Archer performance really. Woeful all round. You won't find too many Aussie's disagreeing with you.

An Internation RL tournament these days guarantees two things
a) England will fail
b) Australia will get a leg up that they don't even need from the refs/RLIF(aka ARL)

meltiger

First Grade
Is the English whinging or the cockiness of the Kiwis the bigger story here?

lol @ the Kiwis.

timka4

Bench
i feel bad for England and can empathise to some extent, because (and i'm a little ashamed to say this as a proud Aussie) i haven't actively supported Kangaroos for some time, but rather the team that is playing against them - primarily because i love Rugby League and wish it to have a competitive international scene. i wanted England to put on a good show against us yesterday, and as always i was let down... and the officials played a significant part in that..
haha omg and I thought I was the only one.

meltiger

First Grade
^

:lol:

Ahhh, brings back memories of Ozbash's infamous thread from years ago.

I really hope for your boys sake the Kiwis do win. All you've done is beat up on the Kumuls, and beat England by less than we did...

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Australia are so bad,scored so many lucky tries in there first two games,unless they get more luck the Kiwis will destroy them

meltiger

First Grade
From what Sheens has been saying, he is going to give the other boys a chance now though.

Outside of Locky, Smith, Slater, Sammy and the two Canberra reserves, how many genuinely deserve their spot after last nights game?

Oh, Cronk too, Lewis had an ok game but is injured now? Tate is a pile of pooh, the sooner he is out the better off we will be. If Lawrence has a good game he HAS to get the gig for the final ahead of Tate with GI/Jennings unavailable.

Latest posts