What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is more important? World Club Challenge or Charity Shield?

Danish

Referee
Winning the world club challenge is like beating up your out of shape older brother.

Winning the foundation cup is like beating up your geniused cousin.

I'll let you decide which one is more satisfying

Ladmate

Bench
Winning the world club challenge is like beating up your out of shape older brother.

Winning the foundation cup is like beating up your geniused cousin.

I'll let you decide which one is more satisfying

The first one.

clarency

Juniors
World Club Challenge has potential to become something big. If it's not more important now than it may be the case in the future.

Quigs

Immortal
I believe that 95% of the Red V army are now in favour of the Charity Shield as their applications for Visas to the UK have been rejected.

REASONS FOR REJECTION OF VISA APPLICATIONS

I've heard that Mr Gallop has been approached to make representations to the UK Immigration, but the Poms told him to f**k orff.

You got to hand it to the Poms, they might be stupid but they are not that brain dead as to allow a pack of simpleton morons to enter their country en masse

Cheers
Quigs

phonetic

Juniors
Big guy, you don't need a Visa for the UK!

Anyway.. for our fans, WCC is a bigger deal as we get to go on the ultimate away trip (sans visa) and have a kick arse time in an unquestionably kick arse town like Bolton!!!

Hopefully we get to play both. 2 pretty much meaningless games on either side of the planet to lead into our premiership defence.

slammingsam

Juniors
I couldnt care less if we played in the CS shield or not. I usually attend and if i don't i will watch it on TV. I dont care if we win or lose by 50 though. All this " Souffs Grandfinal" sh*t is such a cop out and is piss weak from anyone who says it. Some people need to grow up on here.

Perth Red

Post Whore
WCC by a country mile! International media exposure, much bigger winners cheque, marketing opportunity to call yourself the best club in the world. Charity Shield? Earns you what exactly???

Quigs

Immortal
Big guy, you don't need a Visa for the UK!

Anyway.. for our fans, WCC is a bigger deal as we get to go on the ultimate away trip (sans visa) and have a kick arse time in an unquestionably kick arse town like Bolton!!!

Hopefully we get to play both. 2 pretty much meaningless games on either side of the planet to lead into our premiership defence.

Medical (2h-1)

Cheers
Quigs

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I always make an effort to watch the WCC but never really cared for the Charity Shield, always seemed like a Sydney wankfest tbh.

docbrown

Coach
WCC has the potential to be much bigger than what it is. Step 1 comes down to alternating venues - but the host should be the team with the better performance - either during the season or in the grand final.

It should either be played two weeks after the grand final (not my preferred option as we really should be building that up for internationals) or during the official Round 1 of either competition (as the official opening game of the season). If over a few years, it gets played in Australia 4 or 5 times as the kickoff game, its profile will build dramatically - and even when it's overseas, the NRL club's fans will start to take it more seriously.

As for Charity Shield, it's important to keep traditions alive. Everybody knows it's just a trial match, but it's got a history to it that's worth preserving.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Well? Opinions and rationale please (therefore ruling out Haynetrain).

Charity Shield. I have very little respect for english footy. They produce some good individual players, but as a league it's very ordinary, they're not much good for anything other than stealing our players.

The charity shield has history behind it, it pits the 2 biggest Sydney teams against each other and raises money for charity.

The WCC is like the winner of the English Premier League playing the winner of the A-League (NRL = EPL, English Super League = A-League).

Therefore, all bias aside, Charity shield > WCC.

DragonPunk

Live Update Team
Staff member
WCC and I'm pumped that there is a chance it might be played down here for the first time in ages.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Charity Shield. I have very little respect for english footy. They produce some good individual players, but as a league it's very ordinary, they're not much good for anything other than stealing our players.

The charity shield has history behind it, it pits the 2 biggest Sydney teams against each other and raises money for charity.

The WCC is like the winner of the English Premier League playing the winner of the A-League (NRL = EPL, English Super League = A-League).

Therefore, all bias aside, Charity shield > WCC.

Little respect for English footy? Its not an ordinary league. Its not the same standard as the NRL, but its still pretty damn good. The NRL is just a unique competition in its toughness and eveness.

They steal our players, they have the money to do so, cant be going to badly. By the way, Sam Burgess...

The first World Club Challenge was in 1976
The first Charity Shield was in 1982

So there goes your history point.

And just so you know, the WCC is usually won by the English side. If Sydney FC were to ever beat Man Utd (training run or not) the planet would implode on itself.