What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the Minor Premiership worth?

I don't mean in terms of how it works. I know that. I mean how much money is it worth these days if you win the minor premiership. Also how much is the prize for lifting the trophy at years end? Someone asked me yesterday and I realised I had no idea anymore.

Gaba

First Grade
minor premiers get the JJ Giltinan Shield and $100,000

dont know how much money for winning the grand final

Avenger

Immortal
minor premiers get the JJ Giltinan Shield and $100,000

dont know how much money for winning the grand final

Which is outrageous. It should be $500K and two shots at getting into the GF. That is why the McIntyre Final 8 system sucks.

Paullyboy

Coach
I remember hearing that it was $100k and thought that it seemed ridiculously low. That would cover the salary of two U20's players for a year.

petetheileet

First Grade
Should be worth a hell of a lot more these days

buys nothing and sh*tty reward for being the best team for 6 months of a 7 month season

carcharias

Immortal
I don't mean in terms of how it works. I know that. I mean how much money is it worth these days if you win the minor premiership. Also how much is the prize for lifting the trophy at years end? Someone asked me yesterday and I realised I had no idea anymore.

this is what it is worth.

plus
a home final against a team who really shouldn't be there.
A week off
A game at a neutral ground ( sort of )1 loss and your out.

or come in 2nd
A home final against team who really shouldn't be there.
A game at a neutral ground - if you lose you get a 2nd chance.
Then another crack at it after getting the luxury of a warm up game the week before.

seems crazy
1st place can lose 1 game and they are gonski.
but come 2nd and you can afford to lose one game.

carcharias

Immortal
Say what carch? Doesn't sound right, or I'm not reading it right. The 2nd team gets a week off as well
yeah you are right

If they win they do get the 2nd week off but if they lose week one they get another chance.

BUt if the MP's win week one they have a week off and do not get the luxury of a 2nd bite from then on in.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The difference between first and second is the money (100K, you perhaps buy one boot for your top player)and nothing else.

Timbo

Staff member
$100,000 pays for a pretty decent piss-up after the season...

Which is really all it's worth - who gives a sh*t if you win the minor these days? It's not first past the post anymore. Grand Finals are all people care about, and the money is handed out accordingly.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Its 100K and is usually spread out evenly amongst the playing group as abit of a bonus... So each player in the top 25 may get 4k each. Buys them a new TV, entertainment system, etc... not much, but not to shabby

davi

Juniors
7 years on and the minor premiership is still worth $100 000. The Melbourne Storm owner Matthew Tripp has slammed the paltry amount. He also suggest that the AFL makes it more worth while for clubs to do well in the finals, and the NRL won't be taken seriously till it matches the money.

However AFL does not offer any amount for their minor premiership. Tripp also makes the same point as posters on this forum that $100 000 does not go a long way for a club.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...minor-premiership-reward-20160831-gr5lrb.html

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Why does it need bigger "prize money" exactly? What does the NRL gain out of it?

Its an achievement but thats about it. Noone remembers who won the MP

The cost for brown paper bags and boats is exorbitant in Melbourne.

Poor blighters.

Jokes aside clubs should be financially rewarded for their position on the table and the NRL stipulates half goes to club and the other half divided amongst the playing squad.

And finals seeds should be paid according to how they finish too.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Who gives a f**k what the afl give. Christ, this Tripp bloke be trippen if he thinks anyone cares what afl do.