What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

Wizardman

First Grade
Im on an absolute roll movie-wise. Three fantastic movies straight in one week (all four out of five) in "A History of Violence", Black Swan" and "A Simple Plan". Hopefully it will be four in a row with "Fargo" tonight

Springs09

Juniors
Toy Story 4 I'm a bit conflicted on. A great movie on its own and probably the funniest of the lot.

In the context of the series though it doesn't have the overarching themes of the first 3 and actually contradicts some of them through its own messages. Most of the original toys get pushed to the background as well.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Over the weekend I watch The Ritual as well as Doomsday.
I'd rate The Ritual over Doomsday, it kinda had a Blair Witch feel to it at parts.
Doomsday was okay too though, but felt it had too many vibes, part Zombie movie, part Action movie, part Mad Max...too many elements!

vvvrulz

Coach
Managed to get through a few lately.

Venom 7/10 - Nothing original here but it makes up for it with sheer fun. Effects are good, tone hovers nicely without getting too dark, and Hardy nails it with his pure energy, thankfully managing an accent without sounding like a marble mouth. One of those movies to switch on with the brain off.

Deadpool 2 7.5/10 - The novelty isn't the same, but a couple of unexpected turns and Reynold's shtick carries it along without fuss. Once again they throw the sink at it, there's plenty of laughs and OTT violence, and enough of it sticks. It's the plot that surprisingly thin, and even Deadpool himself pokes at it, which strangely makes it a deliberate meta choice. Brolin isn't given much to work and relies on his screen presence, however some hilarious cameos and supporting characters to look out for. Enough fuel this time, but on the verge of milking.

Once Upon a Deadpool 7/10 - A strange but worthwhile PG-13 cut featuring Deadpool himself telling his own story Fred Savage in his Princess Bride getup. It's as bizarre as it sounds, and the interplay between the two is hilarious, but there's nothing else as the bloodless, profaneless DP2 plays out.

vvvrulz

Coach
Lego Batman Movie 6/10 - A couple of chuckles particularly at the self references, but tries too hard and goofy / edgy Batman is more miss than hit. After a manic first act it quickly runs out of steam, making the mistake of infusing seen-before plot devices that drag on. A shame given the star voice cast they pull together.

Aquaman 7.5/10 - Another solid effort from DC. It may follow all the origin story tropes, but a talented and willing cast + a true immersion into Aquaman's bizarre world keeps it interesting and engaging. Momoa is a surprisingly good lead, a bit of Dwayne Johnson about him. It's too bad they completely blew Superman and BvS despite getting this and WW right, I haven't seen Justice League but with better planning they could have pulled off the universe just as Marvel did.

PJ

First Grade
Planes and travel so catch up on stuff.

I am Mother. Good premise and pretty well done for a Netflix movie 7.5

Brigtburn. Could have been so much better, couple of great scenes. 6.5

Shazam. Light and entertaining. 7.5

Free Solo. Enjoyed. 8.5

bileduct

Coach
Predator - What the actual f**k??? At least this movie made me want to watch the original.
This was so f**king bad I switched it off about halfway through and have no interest whatsoever in finishing it.

It is the worst movie I have seen in a long time.

Parra

Referee
Planes and travel so catch up on stuff.

I am Mother. Good premise and pretty well done for a Netflix movie 7.5

Brigtburn. Could have been so much better, couple of great scenes. 6.5

Shazam. Light and entertaining. 7.5

Free Solo. Enjoyed. 8.5

Free Solo - intense. Loved it.

Would be great to see in a cinema

thorson1987

Coach
Toy Story 4 I'm a bit conflicted on. A great movie on its own and probably the funniest of the lot.

In the context of the series though it doesn't have the overarching themes of the first 3 and actually contradicts some of them through its own messages. Most of the original toys get pushed to the background as well.

That poor cold weather Combat Carl.

nöyd

Staff member
Saving Private Ryan

What can be said that hasn't been said over 20 years ago. A masterpiece then, a classic masterpiece now.

Spielberg's best (debatable, I know), absolutely love his washed out colour palette, dark greens and browns making the red of the blood stand out so much more.

Flawless ensemble cast.

Hanks
Burns
Goldberg
Sizemore
Pepper
Diesel
Ribisi
Danson
Farina
Even Matt f**king Damon ffs (not really a fan, usually)
Nathan Fillion
f**king Bryan Cranston
Leland Orser and Paul Giamatti

10 out of 10.

Betty Boop, what a dish.

Saving Private Ryan

What can be said that hasn't been said over 20 years ago. A masterpiece then, a classic masterpiece now.

Spielberg's best (debatable, I know), absolutely love his washed out colour palette, dark greens and browns making the red of the blood stand out so much more.

Flawless ensemble cast.

Hanks
Burns
Goldberg
Sizemore
Pepper
Diesel
Ribisi
Danson
Farina
Even Matt f**king Damon ffs (not really a fan, usually)
Nathan Fillion
f**king Bryan Cranston
Leland Orser and Paul Giamatti

10 out of 10.

Betty Boop, what a dish.

It is a great film.

It gets better with more viewings too.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Over the weekend I watch The Ritual as well as Doomsday.
I'd rate The Ritual over Doomsday, it kinda had a Blair Witch feel to it at parts.
Doomsday was okay too though, but felt it had too many vibes, part Zombie movie, part Action movie, part Mad Max...too many elements!

The Ritual was really good, much better then blockbuster ‘horrors’ Hereditary etc. if you liked it watch another Netflix original ‘Calibre’ doesn’t have any super natural themes but along the same lines and again very good.

Life's Good

Coach
Attempted to watch a couple of Netflix movies:

Precious Cargo - Bruce Willis. Just don’t.
Arsenal - Nicolas Cage. See above. I thought John Cusack might save it but it’s really hard to buy Adrian Grenier(Vinny-Entourage)as the vengeful good guy.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Attempted to watch a couple of Netflix movies:

Precious Cargo - Bruce Willis. Just don’t.
Arsenal - Nicolas Cage. See above. I thought John Cusack might save it but it’s really hard to buy Adrian Grenier(Vinny-Entourage)as the vengeful good guy.

Aresnal could genuinely be the single worst movie I’ve ever seen

Latest posts