What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What must Robbie Farah do..

league

Juniors
If ALL the major stats are in favour of Farah, what else is there for the Smith stans to cling onto? I understand Cameron does a lot of work that won't show up on the stats sheet, but he's not even the most important Storm player anymore. I'd argue Slater and Cronk are more important.

The one criticism I had of Robbie was his defence, but he's proven a very capable defender in his own right.

Hopefully Robbie will show the rest of the country on Wednesday night how far he's come.

You're only focusing on attack. You forget how important Smith is in defence. The bloke holds up the defence. Without him at least 2 tries will be conceded each game.

Stormwarrior

Juniors
What a lot of people don't understand is that farah is in top form and smith is far from. Yea I can definatly accept farah has better stats this year but the deciding factor for me and it is a big factor I think is that smith has been at this level for 10 years! When farah keeps has stats this high till 2023. Then I can accept farah being better! Until then ....

Evenflow

Bench
but the deciding factor for me and it is a big factor I think is that smith has been at this level for 10 years! When farah keeps has stats this high till 2023. Then I can accept farah being better! Until then ....

Yep, this. To judge a player is better than another solely on a half a season is absolutely laughable. The same thing happened when Hayne had a half a good season in 2009.

As for Elias the less said about that arsehat the better....

DC_fan

Coach
Seriously why would anyone pay any attention to what Ben Elias has to say. The guy is an idiot.

And Mario was a better player.

Ladmate

Bench
Yeah, because Robbie Farah has only been good this year...it's not like since 2007 he's been dominant or anything.

Jumpin Jackass

Juniors
Farah has always posted better stats then smith, there's no doubting the guys skill and tenacity. Smith is super composed though, slots in rarely to make a big play (compared to farah atleast) but when he does it's always a good touch he makes, I also think Smith slots into a great team better then farah does, all the great chip kicks and good runs etc etc Farah makes will not be as useful to a strong team as the superior go forward that Smith provides and his ability to know when to make a play.

So in other words whilst I don;t think that Smith would be as good at the tigers as Farah, I think having Farah at the storm would make them a weaker side if that makes any sense.

MacDougall

First Grade
If Cam Smith HAD to control the play like a halfback while playing hooker he'd probably have the same stats as Farah and Melbourne would probably be coming last.

Farah is a superb player and it was always a joke that he was tagged as not Origin material on the back of one bad game (Pearce apparently is allowed 11 and still is first picked). If Smith wasn't in this era Robbie would be getting all the "greatest hooker of all time" accolades that are heaped on Smith. In almost all good judges opinions they are inseparable when it comes to quality. They are almost identical in skill set too. Smith gives better service and can kick goals but Farah has a better running game and probably slightly better vision for big plays.

Smith got the jump on Farah when it comes to rep football because he didn't have the Australian incumbent wearing the 9 jersey for QLD for the first 5 years of his first grade career. The QLD era began, Buderus lost his Aus jersey to Smith and Smith will hold it til he retires as he bloody well should. There's nothing Farah can do to wrestle it from him because Smith just won't ever play poor enough for an extended period to come under scrutiny. There's nothing Farah can do to change the minds of anybody who thinks he isn't as good as Smith but I think they are equals.

You can't use stats to make the case that Farah is better because the situations they are in are different. You can't use rep wins and premierships for Smith's argument for the same reason. I guarantee you they both think the other is better than them and it drives them. They have a huge amount of respect for each other.

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
Smith did do a fair bit of that work early on when Cronk was still learning his craft. Smith controls the game but Farah can't. That is the difference.Smith rarely makes crucial errors and I can't recall him missing any key tackles but I can remember plenty of times Farah has. Smith makes the average players he plays with look good, Farah doesn't do this so he is left to do it on his own.

Latest posts