What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Phrases and Words Make You See Red?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I've always wondered about people who get so caught up on grammatical errors. I rarely notice errors in people's writing, or even in my own ( grammar nazis must hate me. I have so many typos and errors saved onto my phones auto-correct and have never gotten around to fixing it). When most people read, they read a string of words or even complete sentences at the same time. So when there's a mistake or typo our brains have already seen what context it is in and corrects it for us in in the processing part of reading. It's why most people probably didn't noticed me wrote the word 'in' twice back to back in the last sentence. So when people get caught up in minor grammatical errors i always wonder if maybe their brain isn't fast enough to fix the errors in context in processing the words, or if they are only capable of reading 1 word at a time
Actually it's quite the opposite..

A word is a token or symbol of an action, description or name.. through the utilisation of these symbols we can translate meanings for our brain to understand what someone else is trying to say..

So where their is a case where someone rights the wrong word even won time, it can cores your brain to loose track of what is being said and force ewe too have two either slow down or go back to re-read what there actually trying to say.

Less of a case of people only reading one word at a time, and being forced to read one word at a time.

The paragraph I just gave you is relatively easy to follow as I used proper sentence structure, but it's when you combine incorrect wording with bad structure it becomes hard to follow.

Punctuation is also a huge thing. Eg..

"I love cooking my cat and my dog"

Can be changed completely by adding in a comma after 'cooking'..

I remember having a discussion with someone on here once who got the irrits with me pointing out their terrible grammar and syntax in a post..

I likened it to being sober and trying to have a conversation with a drunk person. You can eventually work out what they are trying to say, but it's frustrating and slows down the overall communication process..

Afterall, if we start devaluing the structure and purpose of language to make it easier for ourselves due to laziness, we may as well revert back to grunts..

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
The use of "women" to describe a single, solitary "woman".

From my observation, it's only used when written or typed, never in conversation strangely enough.

When people don't know when to use "it's" and "its".

"It's" is a contraction of "it is". As in "it's raining".
"Its" is a possessive pronoun. As in "poor thing broke its leg".

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
"A glimpse of life after JT".

Is JT the only f**king player on the planet?

His arse must be severely raw after all the tongues up there...

Amin Yashed

Juniors
All over the place like a mad woman's shit. Where did that theory come from? Did some sick merkin go around & observe old ladies taking a dump?