What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should we do with Kearney? #2

What should we do with Kearney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

strider

Post Whore
there is no way sacking him will fix everything - so of course keep him on for now

but if any dumb merkin starts discussing extensions or if kearney starts asking for one (as happened in the past) then anyone who entertains the idea before we totally turn things around needs to be hung as half time entertainment during the game

whall15

Coach
I'm sorry but I think by now we have learned that Stephen Kearney must go.

Despite the fact that we only lost by a Benji Marshall field goal yesterday that must go down as an awful display and that fact is only clouded by the fact that this side as played quite dreadfully this year, particularly in that disaster against Penrith.

Despite the fact that our attack yesterday was quite awful for the first hour I believe that it was our defensive effort that was the biggest flaw to come out of yesterdays' match, it looked as if they literally did not know how to defend at a NRL level.

In the other thread about yesterday's match a lot has been said about how individual player mistakes cost us the game both in defense and attack, and that is of course correct but for me this stems from a lack of confidence, both from the fact that we have an abysmal record this season and are sitting at the bottom of the table and the other fact that at very least some of the player's must be naturally doubting the ability and the plan of Stephen Kearney simply because he has been in charge of these displays.

The decision to dismiss Chris Sandow to reserve grade is for me a puzzling one. It must be said that Chris Sandow has not been playing to a world-class standard at halfback, however I do not believe that he has playing to a particularly bad standard, that worse of Casey McGuire. This decision may also come back to haunt Kearney as McGuire is on report and may well be suspended for Friday's match against the Bulldogs forcing Kearney's hand in returning Sandow to the starting side, a lack of faith by the players in this move could have also lead to a lack of confidence yesterday.

Last season I was in support of Kearney, despite the fact that we were not performing to the best of our abilities I believed that with the signings of Chris Sandow and Willie Tonga we would perform to a level of a team around 9th-12th and hoping for a bit of momentum to push us in to the Top 8, this is something which I now see as very unlikely.

For me, the question must not be whether to sack Stephen Kearney but who to replace Stephen Kearney with, this is like a Chelsea situation where they could bring in an established caretaker in Roberto di Matteo to stabilise the squad and perhaps look to a world-class manager in a Jose Mourinho to take-over in the off-season, we do not have this luxury so we must be careful that if we sack Stephen Kearney, which on the balance of probabilities is probably the correct decision that we actually end up with an improvement, at very least a coach with NRL coaching experience and unfortunately there aren't a whole host of quality candidates with their hands up.

ParraSteve

Juniors
And parra really need to fire another coach, time for the players to put their hand up, a coach can only do so much

lingard

Coach
Well, yeah, I think we do need to sack another coach. Parramatta started this coach sacking business with Daniel Anderson, and now they need to see that idea through until we get the coach we need. The only reason he hasn`t been shafted already is that they don`t want to admit they took a massive gamble in sacking a well-credentialled and experienced coach for a guy with no experience and the gamble failed. We need to get someone like Folkes or Murry or even Jason Taylor as an interim coach and wait until a really big name is due to come off contract and throw the bank at them.

DeanPay98

Juniors
I think that we need to bring Brian Smith back. He can rebuild a club, he's highly intelligent and he coaches disciplined teams with sound gameplans. We all know his negatives, but he is light years ahead of Kearney.

I haven't got anything against Kearney. I just think that he's not good enough to do the job.

His gameplan seems to be mainly one-out stuff. Its rubbish and very predictable. Even against strong defensive teams if we were moving the ball side to side gaps would eventually appear. That isn't happening under Kearney.

In fact, the Special K doesn't do a lot of common sense things.

Late in the game we almost had nobody at dummy half. Why? Because Keating is a 60-70 minute player, not an 80 minute player. We have no hooker rotation.

McGuire played poorly yesterday. Why? Because he's a hooker not a halfback.

We were poor defensively. Why? In part because our attack was never organised ... almost like we didn't have a halfback. He was sitting in the stands.

Didn't Kearney think that dropping Sandow would affect the entire team on some level?

Why didn't Moi Moi start the game?

In the end there are just too many odd decisions, oversights, problems etc. This isn't a club with serious cultural problems. There is no major drama. The coach just doesn't have a clue.

Gronk

Staff member
By the looks of it SK has as much chance of finishing his contract as Julia has making it to the next election.

#dead(wo)manwalking

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I have inside info that the KPI was set at 3 wins this year.
So we are exactly a third of the way through the comp and we're right on target. I have heard everyone is very pleased we are on track.

FatAlbert

Juniors
I reckon the right coach for the Eels next yr is Brown. He actually did a good job through the last few yrs at the Dragons, was highly regarded by the players for his tactical approach, and Bennett has acknowledged a number of times since the quality of junior development program and system that had been put in place by Brown (Bennett actually offered him the assistant role). Brown has since done an excellent job in England at Huddersfield, and again it's been acknowledged by their Chairman that he has fostered the development of juniors on the back of a quality program, as well as buying astutely and winning games. He has just signed a new long term deal with St Helens after being head hunted, but he does want to return to Oz and I'm sure would have an exit clause for any head coach job back in the NRL.

Gronk

Staff member
I reckon the right coach for the Eels next yr is Brown. He actually did a good job through the last few yrs at the Dragons, was highly regarded by the players for his tactical approach, and Bennett has acknowledged a number of times since the quality of junior development program and system that had been put in place by Brown (Bennett actually offered him the assistant role). Brown has since done an excellent job in England at Huddersfield, and again it's been acknowledged by their Chairman that he has fostered the development of juniors on the back of a quality program, as well as buying astutely and winning games. He has just signed a new long term deal with St Helens after being head hunted, but he does want to return to Oz and I'm sure would have an exit clause for any head coach job back in the NRL.

Good post. He just might be the guy to slap us into form.

2003_barrett_brown.jpg

Wise Old Eel

Juniors
Well, yeah, I think we do need to sack another coach. Parramatta started this coach sacking business with Daniel Anderson, and now they need to see that idea through until we get the coach we need. The only reason he hasn`t been shafted already is that they don`t want to admit they took a massive gamble in sacking a well-credentialled and experienced coach for a guy with no experience and the gamble failed. We need to get someone like Folkes or Murray or even Jason Taylor as an interim coach and wait until a really big name is due to come off contract and throw the bank at them.

Good post. Makes sense to me. Stephen Kearney has been afforded every possible resource by those who took the gamble to put him there but we appear to have gone backwards. Long term goals are all good & well but you have to show progress (i.e. results) along the way & I have lost what little faith I had in regards to seeing that.

WOE

Wise Old Eel

Juniors
I think that we need to bring Brian Smith back. He can rebuild a club, he's highly intelligent and he coaches disciplined teams with sound gameplans. We all know his negatives, but he is light years ahead of Kearney.

I haven't got anything against Kearney. I just think that he's not good enough to do the job.

His gameplan seems to be mainly one-out stuff. Its rubbish and very predictable. Even against strong defensive teams if we were moving the ball side to side gaps would eventually appear. That isn't happening under Kearney.

In fact, the Special K doesn't do a lot of common sense things.

Late in the game we almost had nobody at dummy half. Why? Because Keating is a 60-70 minute player, not an 80 minute player. We have no hooker rotation.

McGuire played poorly yesterday. Why? Because he's a hooker not a halfback.

We were poor defensively. Why? In part because our attack was never organised ... almost like we didn't have a halfback. He was sitting in the stands.

Didn't Kearney think that dropping Sandow would affect the entire team on some level?

Why didn't Moi Moi start the game?

In the end there are just too many odd decisions, oversights, problems etc. This isn't a club with serious cultural problems. There is no major drama. The coach just doesn't have a clue.

Another good post. Won't happen mate but way to go thinking outside the square.

WOE

Wise Old Eel

Juniors

I like this idea too. There are options out there folks. Even going cap in hand to Anderson should be thrown around (waits for the mob to attack :sarcasm:). I just hope whoever they go with - and let's face it, Kearney's days are numbered - they get full control over all aspects of the NRL squad.

WOE

Shakamaker

Juniors
I have heard from a reliable source that Brian Smith will be appointed as a Coaching Director of the Parramatta Eels from 2013.

Good move in my opinion. Under Smith's tenature at the Eels they won many club championships, made two 1st grade grand finals, won 2 first grade minor premierships. He has what it takes to build the foundations of a strong club and would only be an improvement to aid Stephen Kearney, who has struggled from day one being a 1st grade coach.

Djay

Juniors
And hasn't won a premiership in 28 years of coaching, I'd say we'd be going backwards.

Mind you were going backwards already at this point.

Bazal

Post Whore
I think he'd be very good at that job. But it won't help if the head coach remains the same