What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What those advocating afl style expansion don't want u to know

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think that's a mirror you're staring at.
The Panthers average attendance jumped from 12482 in 2019 to 18374 in 2022 (so far). The covid lockdowns happened in between that time, therefore covid must be why Penrith's numbers jumped no?!

That is the level of reasoning you have to support your SL caused the Swans jump in support hypothesis.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Apparently im an anti vaxxer, coz i dont agree with TGD, or am I too conservative, .....im not sure anymore..... back to being a rock bro...
I am randomly accused of being conservative and an antivaxxer, I hit back, and you interpret that as me being unreasonable and randomly accusing others of being conservative or an antivaxxer...

Oxygen thieves like you are why this sport gets everything it deserves.

• Haha
Reactions: Vee
I'm yet to see Vee add anything positive to these threads. Every post of his is a snide remark about another user unrelated to the topic. I've put him on my ignore list.

MugaB just wants a continuation of the NSWRL and attacks anyone who wants to take the game forward.

Our game won't reach its potential until it cuts the dead weight in Sydney and admits that the current system is holding us back. If we want Sydney to have a club like the Broncos then we need to do away with the catchment system that's been in place since 1908. It's the reason clubs in Sydney have a low ceiling of 7k to 15k active fans they can rely on to regularly attend matches, with another 10k to 15k who come out of the woodwork to attend big event games.

Shane Richardson hit the nail on the head.

"It was a comprehensive plan that broke down the game's finances from the bottom to the top, and talked about a whole-of-game approach about the changes that needed to be made to streamline the game, to make it more efficient, to make it worthwhile, to replace things that hadn't worked for a hundred years: things like boundaries on junior leagues, about the reliance on leagues clubs, all the way through to the NRL."​

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
I'm yet to see Vee add anything positive to these threads. Every post of his is a snide remark about another user unrelated to the topic. I've put him on my ignore list.

MugaB just wants a continuation of the NSWRL and attacks anyone who wants to take the game forward.

Our game won't reach its potential until it cuts the dead weight in Sydney and admits that the current system is holding us back. If we want Sydney to have a club like the Broncos then we need to do away with the catchment system that's been in place since 1908. It's the reason clubs in Sydney have a low ceiling of 7k to 15k active fans they can rely on to regularly attend matches, with another 10k to 15k who come out of the woodwork to attend big event games.

"It was a comprehensive plan that broke down the game's finances from the bottom to the top, and talked about a whole-of-game approach about the changes that needed to be made to streamline the game, to make it more efficient, to make it worthwhile, to replace things that hadn't worked for a hundred years: things like boundaries on junior leagues, about the reliance on leagues clubs, all the way through to the NRL."​
Im for real expansion, wa, sa, more qld, more vic, more nz, png, wherever ... im not against expansion at all, i want more...
I believe we can expand, without detracting from what we already have, the current 16-17 clubs plus more... ive never wanted to cull teams anywhere, like you have dickbag

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee

Colk

First Grade

this was a previous article

Cmon afl they just need their 15 million a year losses covered to be viable. Think of it as an investment

That’s a terrible idea, so let’s hope they do it. Darwin has a population of what 150k?

mongoose

Coach

Sydney is both a strength and weakness for the league.... The 9 clubs are probably cannibalising each other in terms of support and sponsorship but it also means we have saturation in the countries largest and most powerful city. They all have recognisable brands that are synonymous with the sport for many decades and removing any of them would do more damage than some people like to admit. Maybe not in terms of active support or even grassroots but every time you remove a bit of tradition or heritage it hurts the overall product.

Is the game reaching its potential? no, but things could be a lot worse. Look at the latest A League expansion clubs...

MugaB

Coach
Sydney is both a strength and weakness for the league.... The 9 clubs are probably cannibalising each other in terms of support and sponsorship but it also means we have saturation in the countries largest and most powerful city. They all have recognisable brands that are synonymous with the sport for many decades and removing any of them would do more damage than some people like to admit. Maybe not in terms of active support or even grassroots but every time you remove a bit of tradition or heritage it hurts the overall product.

Is the game reaching its potential? no, but things could be a lot worse. Look at the latest A League expansion clubs...
This is what i said earlier in regards to other comps that ditched their inagural clubs, the AFL and somewhat NRL haven't gone down that path... if you look at A-league Vs NSL, or whatever the f**k union is called these days compared to when they had the likes of randwick, eastwood etc, sometimes clubs are better left alone due to their brandings remaining in the top grade, see union f**kd up, they tried to make every week a state vs state club match, same thing is happening to cricket right now, yes its doing well now, but for how long? And the A-league Soccer is just dots on a map stuff... wherever it doesn't fold stays i suppose... when before Marconi, Syd United, and Melbourne knights were their unique, culturally divided, strong brands

Sydney is uniquely suited to carry the load of many NRL clubs, same goes for Melbourne for AFL, we couldn't replicate this in other cities or states... but we could have a presence there, as we do with league in Qld/Nz/Vic/Act, as does AFL with Wa/Sa/Nsw/Qld... same setups these two comps, their money pit GWS is our storm, there other money pit GC is also our GC.
We have so much upside in having RL in the Pacific, and Union being a similar sport we could expand tremendously, having a new team every broadcast renewal, won't be long before we have 6 QLD teams, and a ripper State of Origin to showcase

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
That’s a terrible idea, so let’s hope they do it. Darwin has a population of what 150k?
Nah i'd rather they don't waste effort and keep hatin on the AFL, maybe they'll push for a QRL team first

Wb1234

Referee
This is what i said earlier in regards to other comps that ditched their inagural clubs, the AFL and somewhat NRL haven't gone down that path... if you look at A-league Vs NSL, or whatever the f**k union is called these days compared to when they had the likes of randwick, eastwood etc, sometimes clubs are better left alone due to their brandings remaining in the top grade, see union f**kd up, they tried to make every week a state vs state club match, same thing is happening to cricket right now, yes its doing well now, but for how long? And the A-league Soccer is just dots on a map stuff... wherever it doesn't fold stays i suppose... when before Marconi, Syd United, and Melbourne knights were their unique, culturally divided, strong brands

Sydney is uniquely suited to carry the load of many NRL clubs, same goes for Melbourne for AFL, we couldn't replicate this in other cities or states... but we could have a presence there, as we do with league in Qld/Nz/Vic/Act, as does AFL with Wa/Sa/Nsw/Qld... same setups these two comps, their money pit GWS is our storm, there other money pit GC is also our GC.
We have so much upside in having RL in the Pacific, and Union being a similar sport we could expand tremendously, having a new team every broadcast renewal, won't be long before we have 6 QLD teams, and a ripper State of Origin to showcase
A league now is as relevant as the nsl was

The solution begins with doing away with the archaic junior boundaries system that's in place. No other sport uses this system because it holds back growth.

The fact that Cronulla fans claim their club has absorbed junior clubs from the old St George District proves the sky won't come crashing down to Earth if we remove some of these crazy cult-like traditions that hardcore NSWRL fans hold onto. It hasn't translated into a rise in support for Cronulla, at least not in the short-term, which proves it's totally irrelevant to a club's supporter base.

Once this is done we can judge clubs by the size of their fanbase and the demographics of their region. Some clubs need to go or adapt to a changing environment if they don't want to end up like the Bears and Jets.

Wb1234

Referee
The solution begins with doing away with the archaic junior boundaries system that's in place. No other sport uses this system because it holds back growth.

The fact that Cronulla fans claim their club has absorbed junior clubs from the old St George District proves the sky won't come crashing down to Earth if we remove some of these crazy cult-like traditions that hardcore NSWRL fans hold onto. It hasn't translated into a rise in support for Cronulla, at least not in the short-term, which proves it's totally irrelevant to a club's supporter base.

Once this is done we can judge clubs by the size of their fanbase and the demographics of their region. Some clubs need to go or adapt to a changing environment if they don't want to end up like the Bears and Jets.
Junior boundaries don’t stop clubs from picking other areas like dunno etc

nothing better than coming from the juniors into first grade eg Penrith panthers now

it’s what sets league apart from afl that coming from an area and representing that area means something

afl clubs are just brands especially they Melbourne clubs they don’t represent their areas

Perth Red

Post Whore
Junior boundaries don’t stop clubs from picking other areas like dunno etc

nothing better than coming from the juniors into first grade eg Penrith panthers now

it’s what sets league apart from afl that coming from an area and representing that area means something

afl clubs are just brands especially they Melbourne clubs they don’t represent their areas
it means something until someone offers you more money lol

Wb1234

Referee
Of
None of the arguments NSWRL fans use to defend the status quo stand up to scrutiny.
Of course they do. Would you like to see any Queensland side full of players who aren’t Queenslanders

when bennett set up the beoncos they were proudly a Queensland club with few nsw players

wouldnt a cowboys side full of kids from North Queensland be great

Of

Of course they do. Would you like to see any Queensland side full of players who aren’t Queenslanders

when bennett set up the beoncos they were proudly a Queensland club with few nsw players

Why did the cockroaches from the NSWRL raid the BRL for decades?

Because all that matters in professional sport is having the best players.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Of

I’d be more thrilled to support a winning team lol. If my team was winning premierships I really wouldn’t care where they all played u16’s.

Latest posts