What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What unpopular NRL opinions do you hold

ceagle

Bench
Dont watch the league footy show but am I right in thinking the humour is still derived from cross-dressing and acting like a tool in public?
Yep. I cringe when they do the segment where they interview a bunch of players each week and ask them questions. Most of the comments represent something you would see from a primary school student.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Go:

1. Billy Slater is the best 1-5 of all time. Hate blinds many from realising how good he is
2. There needs to be a relocation/merging in the east/South. You have roosters, Souths, dragons and sharks fighting over relatively small patches of land and juniors. Something gotta give
3. Ray Warren should call RL games until he dies. Sure he gets things wrong but I'm going to miss his dulcitones and I know many of you will as well
4. NRL needs to go back to a top 5 - having 8 teams is pointless
5. The team who wins the minor premiership should hold more prestige than the winner of the finals series
6. Draft, Challenge Cup and Relegation/Promotion need to come in to RL to make it more exciting
7. Season should go for 30 weeks (play each other twice and reduce games to 70mins to compensate for fatigue)

1. No - players these days are thrown into best ever categories too quickly
3. Not sure if you're serious, but makes far too many mistakes & clearly doesn't watch enough games apart from one he "calls". However, he'll keep calling for Ch9 until he wants to stop as they love him & have nothing bad to say about him. It's a shame, as he was very good & should've retired with dignity & his reputation intact 5 years ago. These days it seems the game is a distraction to a group of guys who are standing in a bar with the footy in the background. They occasionally see something that interests them & then go back to other random subjects.
4. No, the top 8 is vital as it keep more teams & subsequently fans involved for longer in the season.
5. No, the draw is terribly flawed. It's dictated by preferences of teams too much & the schedule is determined by tv. ( e.g. Broncos playing so many Friday night games ). With some work, teams should play the other 15 first before they play a team for a second time in one season. Teams should be grouped into pools of 4 so they rotate who plays each other for a second time so fans get to see more variety.
6. Draft & some type of cup competition would be good, but relegation / promotion wouldn't work. We don't have enough players to cater for more than 16 teams of NRL standard.
7. No, I'd like to see 22 games per team with a break during SOO.

These aren't wrong / right, just my opinion so I expect to have people disagree with them.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Most NRL players are poorly educated and this reflects poorly on the league's image. There are probably only a handful of players who can articulate to the media without appearing to of dropped out of high school in year 7. The AFL absolutely crushes the NRL in this aspect.

I agree 100%. It's an embarrassing situation that the NRL tries to avoid, but if we are comparing codes in this area, they are clearly the worst in Australia.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
I think we need a second team in Brisbane

I think we have too many teams in Sydney

I think the AFL has done expansion so much better than the NRL

adamkungl

Immortal
1. Most NRL fans and a good portion of media 'experts' have absolutely no understanding of the game and have terrible, terrible ideas. Listening to the fans is often a recipe for disaster.

2. Aside from dangerous neck/limb twists, wrestling is not only a non-issue, but any team from u15s and up who doesn't try and slow down the ruck is a plod team that will be forever losers.

3. I dont think SE QLD needs or deserves another team right now.

hutch

First Grade
Go:

1. Billy Slater is the best 1-5 of all time. Hate blinds many from realising how good he is
2. There needs to be a relocation/merging in the east/South. You have roosters, Souths, dragons and sharks fighting over relatively small patches of land and juniors. Something gotta give
3. Ray Warren should call RL games until he dies. Sure he gets things wrong but I'm going to miss his dulcitones and I know many of you will as well
4. NRL needs to go back to a top 5 - having 8 teams is pointless
5. The team who wins the minor premiership should hold more prestige than the winner of the finals series
6. Draft, Challenge Cup and Relegation/Promotion need to come in to RL to make it more exciting
7. Season should go for 30 weeks (play each other twice and reduce games to 70mins to compensate for fatigue)

1 is debatable, 2-7 are plain ridiculous and are in no way beneficial to rugby league.

souths1908

Juniors
1- reduce interchange to 6, with one substitute player (similar to AFL for injury or tactical changes)
2- severe penalties for all the wrestling moves that are creeping into the game, if a player gets suspended for 10 weeks for a chicken wing it quickly stops.
3- 1 or 2 Sydney teams need to go, with expansion in QLD,WA and NZ a priority.
4- Comp reduced to 17-18 weeks (depending on how many expansion teams), all play each other once, every second year you get a home game against a certain team.
5- keep 8 teams in finals with expanded teams, so less then half the teams make finals.

MKEB...

Staff member
Daryl Halligan should stand alone commentate all matches in Australia, so Australians get a taste of how us Warriors fans feel listening to his incoherent dribble on a weekly basis.

There are not enough ducks. NRL needs more ducks.

wittyfan

Referee
1. Get rid of Golden Point for regular season games.

2. Make scrums an actual contest

3. Bring back the 5m rule.

eozsmiles

Bench
Make the finals series 7 teams so the minor premier gets the week off. Less games in week 1 of the finals but more reward for the top team and harder to make the finals.

mongoose

Coach
Game day experience for live NRL games is generally woeful. Even in brisbane who have the best stadium in the country, the game day experience at broncos games feels like its aimed at 6 year olds.

rabbitohs95

Bench
1. Roosters should go back to being Eastern Suburbs
2. Pre-season cup/round robin at the beginning of the year
3. World Club Challenge 2 weeks after NRL season
4. International series a few weeks after end of NRL grand final, get the players playing again during Summer time in England (where it is winter) year round footy

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRl should dictate terms more and link the NRL grant to strategically important issues such as what stadiums are used, taking games to new areas, ticket prices, game day experience etc.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
Make the finals series 7 teams so the minor premier gets the week off. Less games in week 1 of the finals but more reward for the top team and harder to make the finals.

so one team plays itself?

edit: sorry misunderstood what you were saying

TheVelourFog

First Grade
Game day experience for live NRL games is generally woeful. Even in brisbane who have the best stadium in the country, the game day experience at broncos games feels like its aimed at 6 year olds.

went to the Bulldogs-Melbourne final and the whole match-day set-up outside the stadium just seemed like marketing and merchandise. No thanks.

warrior poet

Juniors
another unpopular opinion... if superleague australasia had of won the war, league would be in a stronger position than it is now. They would have got rid of some of the sydney teams and some of the club officials who have been holding the game back with there out-dated and old fashioned (and sydney focused) opinions.
We may have the same amount of teams but they would be in 'better' areas (perth, adelaide). League would probably be stronger globally due to the money they were going to put into the international game which would have helped to grow the game (north america,europe,asia,africa). The 'merger' between the 2 competitions was a mistake and the arl has destroyed the opportunity for league to expand and become the undisputed number one code in australia (it will take a lot for league to beat rugby in nz)