What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What will be the next excuse trotted out?

RABK

Referee
Bring it home Knights said:
I'd take your friend lowrie out of your display if I were you. Unless of course he moves back the the 2nd row and starts performing.

You assume she is friends with players why?

She is not allowed to show her support for certain players with the use of images? Do you not see throughout the forums how women love showing their support for their team and certain players just like guys do with a favourite model or actress?

I think it's great that women can love the sport for the same reasons as us plus have the eye candy to go with it, let them have their girlie fun. Just because they are female doesn't mean they don't know anything about the sport.

Doctor

Bench
Dilmah said:
I think it was a joke Os...

Northey said:
gee i was just having a joke...

(Taps humour-detector...)
(Taps jokeometer...)
(Taps humour box...)
Oki doke. Didn't get it (clearly), and will endevour to do better next time. (Refers to Humour thread where Oswin discovers his sense of humour is somewhat different to everyone elses'). :roll:

aqua_duck

Coach
I think we got too many honest toilers and just not enough blokes with natural talent and ability to do something special. Blokes like Lowrie, Tanner, Brown, Reynoldson, Carmont, Quinn, etc won't win you games so guys like Joey, Bedsy, are under pressure to come up with the goods week in week out. You'd think that a team with so many solid but unspectacular players would be disciplined and conceed few points but we keep dropping the ball in our own half, doing stupid stuff like try beat someone down the sideline on the 0 tackle (and handing over the ball), and just general dumb stuff. The defence is horrible, I can't remember the last time one of our forwards put a big hit on, there's just no mongrel at all in the pack. Tanner is not a 1st grader, fullstop, the guy has absolutely no impact in attack at all, he misses tackles and is just generally not good enough, same deal with Lowrie, although he has done some good things in attack he's just not of 1st greade standard for a top 4 team. Reynoldson is a bench forward at best, he hits it up with some gusto but just can't threaten the line at all, and is a powderpuff in defence.
I just think generally there's not enough pace in the backs and not enough mongrel in the forwards. WHat happened to the days when we had ALbert, MacDOugall and Tahu in the backs. Quinn, carmont and Gidley try hard but none of them are particularly quick or explosive, Carmont isn't a very good defender either.
Take a look at our team tonight
1.Kidley-would not make 1st grade fullback at any other club
2.Carney-Does some good things in attack but leaves alot to be desired in defence
3.Gidley-good player but not particularly quick
4.Carmont-WOuld not make 1st grade at any top 8 club
5.QUinn-is a solid winger but just hasn't got that X factor
6.Lowrie-Would not make Premier League at any club as a 5/8th
7.Johns-does some good things but isn't at his best, kicking has been off and is dropping some bread and butter passes
8.SMith-Honest toiler
9.Buderus-IS holding the team together
10.Woolnough-goes missing in games
11.SImpson-Is the only forward who looks likely to do anything
12.Reynoldson-Would be a bench forward at any other club, I just dont rate him, he's made no line breaks this season in 8 games and averages 0.6 offloads a game, simply not good enough for such a well paid player
13.Tanner-I can confidently say he wouldn't make 1st grade at any other club except maybe souths

TooheysNew

Coach
Bring it home Knights said:
I'd take your friend lowrie out of your display if I were you. Unless of course he moves back the the 2nd row and starts performing.
As RABK said, let it go mate. Everyone is aware of your opinion on northey - stop shoving it down our throats. I'm not sure many care.

antonius

Coach
aqua_duck said:
I think we got too many honest toilers and just not enough blokes with natural talent and ability to do something special. Blokes like Lowrie, Tanner, Brown, Reynoldson, Carmont, Quinn, etc won't win you games so guys like Joey, Bedsy, are under pressure to come up with the goods week in week out. You'd think that a team with so many solid but unspectacular players would be disciplined and conceed few points but we keep dropping the ball in our own half, doing stupid stuff like try beat someone down the sideline on the 0 tackle (and handing over the ball), and just general dumb stuff. The defence is horrible, I can't remember the last time one of our forwards put a big hit on, there's just no mongrel at all in the pack. Tanner is not a 1st grader, fullstop, the guy has absolutely no impact in attack at all, he misses tackles and is just generally not good enough, same deal with Lowrie, although he has done some good things in attack he's just not of 1st greade standard for a top 4 team. Reynoldson is a bench forward at best, he hits it up with some gusto but just can't threaten the line at all, and is a powderpuff in defence.
I just think generally there's not enough pace in the backs and not enough mongrel in the forwards. WHat happened to the days when we had ALbert, MacDOugall and Tahu in the backs. Quinn, carmont and Gidley try hard but none of them are particularly quick or explosive, Carmont isn't a very good defender either.
Take a look at our team tonight
1.Kidley-would not make 1st grade fullback at any other club
2.Carney-Does some good things in attack but leaves alot to be desired in defence
3.Gidley-good player but not particularly quick
4.Carmont-WOuld not make 1st grade at any top 8 club
5.QUinn-is a solid winger but just hasn't got that X factor
6.Lowrie-Would not make Premier League at any club as a 5/8th
7.Johns-does some good things but isn't at his best, kicking has been off and is dropping some bread and butter passes
8.SMith-Honest toiler
9.Buderus-IS holding the team together
10.Woolnough-goes missing in games
11.SImpson-Is the only forward who looks likely to do anything
12.Reynoldson-Would be a bench forward at any other club, I just dont rate him, he's made no line breaks this season in 8 games and averages 0.6 offloads a game, simply not good enough for such a well paid player
13.Tanner-I can confidently say he wouldn't make 1st grade at any other club except maybe souths
Spot on with all of that.

Jayell

Juniors
I think Smith is overated. He is an honest toiler, but he is slow and sloppy. We have too many big, slow, sloppy forwards that get worked over all the time around the ruck- Tanner, Woolnough, Smith, Perry. As much i like the concept of having a player like Reynoldson, he is ineffective in everything he does.
As much as it is nice to defend our players and believe they can lead us to a premiership, the reality is that these guys at the moment cannot.

Ben

Bench
When the boys start struggling you start jumping all over them saying that they aren't first grade quality. When we were winning were you saying the same things about the boys? Sure, i disagree with some of Hagan's decisions, and some of the players in the team are total crap, but we have to stick through with what we have now until players do come back from injury or Hagan grows a brain and starts picking players on form.

We shouldn't be conjuring up excuses from that game because in all honesty, we didn't play that badly. Defence was a bit iffy, but when hasn't our defence been crap this year. The Bulldogs played a perfect game in targetting Carmont and Quinn and they folded under the pressure. In attack, there were some good signs, but were just didn't have any luck last night.

Aqua, i agree with your list there, but when Johns is at his best he can turn all of them into world class players. Heck, he made Ryder and Rudder look like world class players that deserve respect.

Alex28

Coach
The problem is Ben that when Johns isn't playing like the world class player those hacks that he makes look good are back to playing like hacks. We have players in that squad that have played for us in First Grade for 3 or 4 years now that would never get a run at other NRL clubs.

Just remember these are the guys that we are going to be stuck with when Joey retires and we don't have this guy making them look good. If they are rubbish, then they deserve to be called out as rubbish. The problem we have is that the guys making the decision for the club wont make that call.

Doctor

Bench
Alex28 said:
The problem is Ben that when Johns isn't playing like the world class player those hacks that he makes look good are back to playing like hacks. We have players in that squad that have played for us in First Grade for 3 or 4 years now that would never get a run at other NRL clubs.

Just remember these are the guys that we are going to be stuck with when Joey retires and we don't have this guy making them look good. If they are rubbish, then they deserve to be called out as rubbish. The problem we have is that the guys making the decision for the club wont make that call.

It's probably best summed up by the word "development". Theoretically, your players should be working within a bell curve of form. When they're fresh, you expect them to be enthusiastic but perhaps not well drilled. Once they hit about 50-100 games (age 23-27) you expect them to be pretty good at what they do and capable of making an impact. From there it's a matter of longevity... injuries, form and a player's willingness to keep trying long after they have been at the peak of their powers.

I can handle mediocrity -- Tanner, Lowrie, Reynoldson, Brown, Quinn, Carmont etc are all pretty mediocre at the moment. The problem is that all of them, bar one (Brown) have had an extended stay in first grade and we haven't really seen much development from them. Carmont shows glimpses, but he gets treated as a speed bump and players are walking all over him. Others let themselves down with poor defence, or an inability to really make an impact.

I hope that some of our players will develop (key word) further -- I'm just not confident we're seeing enough progression from mediocre to quality... there isn't much improvement.

Alex28

Coach
Yet a team like Melbourne seems to stumble over players who have more talent than the blokes we have coming through the club. Why can't we have a run of guys like Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk, Greg Inglis etc coming through the club? Is there a problem with the talent we are identifying?

RABK

Referee
We are about 2-4 years away from it Alex.

Our Jersey Flegg side is incredible, never have i seen such a huge amount of talent, future rep players galore.

Trick is keeping them, but trust me if we do that and develop them properly we will have some very, very good young players in about 3 years.

northey

First Grade

ok you might not remember why i originally put it there, because it is a shocking photo of him lol

You assume she is friends with players why?

She is not allowed to show her support for certain players with the use of images? Do you not see throughout the forums how women love showing their support for their team and certain players just like guys do with a favourite model or actress?

I think it's great that women can love the sport for the same reasons as us plus have the eye candy to go with it, let them have their girlie fun. Just because they are female doesn't mean they don't know anything about the sport.

thanks Jamie
yeah i don't know how many times i and others have said exactly that.

As RABK said, let it go mate. Everyone is aware of your opinion on northey - stop shoving it down our throats. I'm not sure many care.

i agree, i am really getting sick of it.

(Taps humour-detector...)
(Taps jokeometer...)
(Taps humour box...)
Oki doke. Didn't get it (clearly), and will endevour to do better next time. (Refers to Humour thread where Oswin discovers his sense of humour is somewhat different to everyone elses').

hahahah

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Red and Blue Knight said:
We are about 2-4 years away from it Alex.

Our Jersey Flegg side is incredible, never have i seen such a huge amount of talent, future rep players galore.

Trick is keeping them, but trust me if we do that and develop them properly we will have some very, very good young players in about 3 years.

That's great news! I haven't been able to see a jersey flegg game for a couple of years.

As you said, let's hope the club can keep them.

Alex28

Coach
I would hope that Brian Smith gets a chance to watch some of their games now and the playing management as a whole identifies a list that we need to keep now - not like how we handled the likes of Tupou/Bird/Franze in the past...

aqua_duck

Coach
chinorocks said:
I'd say Smith is a lot better than an average tolier, but other than that its about right.
I a fan of Craig SMith but at 35 years of age there's only so much he can do, I'm not saying we drop him or anything like that but he's an honest toiler these days, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Joey does make players look good but whens the last time we threatened for the premiership?
Joey does make guys look good but the players he made look good were guys like BK, doogs, Tahu, etc all rep quality players in their own right, but Joey just took them to another level. Carmont, Tanner, Lowrie and Reynoldson are simple not of the same quality

Whats Doing

Bench
The "Ï'm tired" excuse doesn't wash. This is their chosen career and as such they need to aim up each week. It is not that they play a game each week of the year. Players like Johnsy who is on $1m contract (when you take into account 3rd party endorsements) needs a good kick up the a%se as he is not delivering the goods to justify his fat pay cheque. Johnsy kicking game has been atrocious over the past 2 weeks.

Whilst I think he is the best player ever, his form overall this year has been disappointing and needs to lift his game to justify the amount of the salary cap he is getting.

Or maybe I should tell my boss I'm tired and don't deliver.