What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What ya cooking/baking?

Cliffhanger

Coach
So I bought a fillet of Kangaroo anybody got some tips on how to cook it?

I heard it has a very strong flavour which some people find off putting.

Bazal

Post Whore
If it's not very rare, it's ruined. I'm not even kidding...steak or whatever is a matter of taste to an extent but because roo has no fat at all, it can't handle long cooking. Nothing more than medium rare. Other than that, anything you would do with a lamb sirloin would work

Johns Magic

Referee
Just like you would cook any steak, but make sure it is done rare.

Wagyu beef is especially juicy because it has so much fat marbled through it. Kangaroo steak gets really dry and chewy if it is cooked through because it is so lean and has almost no fat.

I was once buying kangaroo from a supermarket and a guy working there asked me if it was my first time having kangaroo(which it wasn't). He told me he used to be a chef in Darwin, and they'd get all these American tourists come through, and they would all order the kangaroo because it was the touristy thing to do.

He said that despite telling them how dry kangaroo is and trying to get them to have it rare, they would insist on having it well-done in the typical American style...then they would all complain about how chewy and terrible it tasted after.

I don't like kangaroo as much as normal steak, but I still enjoy it. If you can't handle rare meat though, it may not be for you.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
It's great diced in a curry where it simmers in the coconut milk for a bit.

Also very good shredded in burritos and the like.

Bazal

Post Whore
Sigh...kangaroo is not for curries. You missed the part about not cooking it too much :fist:

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Sigh...kangaroo is not for curries. You missed the part about not cooking it too much :fist:

Each to their own I guess - I do add it in later as I said to let it cook in the juices - not clear enough in my earlier post, I admit.

Cliffhanger

Coach
I always only let the meat simmer, I cook the onions and garlic in the spices, then I add tomato puree (you don't taste it in the curry but it does something to the texture) and then add the meat and some water and let it simmer. It wasn't over cooked at all.

Bazal

Post Whore
If it wasn't medium rare, it was overcooked. I'm not kidding about that being as far as you take roo (unless it's a cut like leg or the tail. Tail rocks in slow cooked dishes)...

Bazal

Post Whore
Found a topside roast in the freezer that was a bit freezer burnt...so it will become beef curry

Pokemon80

Juniors
Just made tacos for me and my boyfriend before he goes off to work, I feel bad for his co-workers hehe

HowHigh

Coach
Forgot to take the leg of lamb out of the freezer, looks like i'll leave the cooking up to someone else and order a calzone & garlic bread instead