What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's wrong with Thurston?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Ice777 said:
It's concerning alright, he's taking up $220K on my fantasy footy team so he's getting the arse in the next round of trades. Dead weight in my team and dead weight for the Cows atm.

im in the same boat with matty bowen

Vicious

Bench
madunit said:
That's more to deal with their defence though, which is more lacklustre than last season.

Thurston isn't getting involved in attack anywhere near as much as he should.

There were times last night when he was trying to hide from getting the footy. Just look at his option on the Broncos line in the second half, no kicks, he just catched and passed.

Lewis on the other hand was running second phase plays all night with a Bronco's team missing some of it's big guns, like Hunt, Lockyer, Clinton and Parker.

Imagine what the score could have been if those guys played.

You can usually always bank on the cowboys to score 2-3 tries a game, win lose or draw, and that's been their greatest weapon.

But at the moment, their attack is on par with that of Souths.

I may see it a little different as I obviously only watched it on TV, but it appeared as if Thurston and Matty Bowen were trying their hearts out, but are just getting next to no help apart from Luke O`Donnell. Thurston appeared heavily involved, just a lack of willing ball runners, not forgetting that some of the young Broncos are playing out of their skins and are making it very easy on the highly impressive Peter Wallace because they are all putting their hands up and all running onto the ball like steam trains.

How Jacob Lillyman ever player SOO is beyond me, he is very ordinary.

OuTkAsT

Juniors
I think you might mean Wallace.. Good wrap for him to be called lewis though. He is going great, if he keeps going he will definately be NSW halfback. Broncos picked up some handy players in the off season. Looks good.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i mentioned to my house mate last night that with mullen and carney playing the way they are right now (ie nothing special), wallace is streets ahead of them for the vacant NSW jersey

Karmawave

Bench
madunit said:
Once again, all defensive things he may be doing. But he's doing nothing in attack. And that's what he is renowned for.

Any halfback would struggle in attack playing behind a forward pack that is playing as sh*t as the Cowboys are.

They aren't getting any go forward at all for Thurston to play off the back of.

I don't believe JT is the problem at all.

The first thread of this post focused on the fact he seemed disinterested. That calls into question his commitment and passion - and that is two things that is clearly not missing in his game.

Maybe if a few more players, swore, and threw their mouthguard and showed some competitive spirit, then the Cowboys might start winning some games because obviously then it wouldnt be just JT who cares they are losing.

And thats the way it comes across to me right now - as a nuetral NRL fan - JT seems the only one out there truly caring.

If you aren't embarrased and gutted from a loss like that, then you just don't care enough and shouldn't be playing NRL.

I'd have a team full of players with JT's competitive spirit and will to win any day of the week.

I remember Joey playing behind a badly beaten forward pack many times, and even a genius can't pull attack brilliance outta their ass.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I dead mean Wallace.

Watching Wallace at half, when he didn't have the ball, he was organising players and plays.

Thurston wasn't. He just knew he'd get the ball. Most times he just dished it off.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Karmawave said:
Any halfback would struggle in attack playing behind a forward pack that is playing as sh*t as the Cowboys are.

They aren't getting any go forward at all for Thurston to play off the back of.

I don't believe JT is the problem at all.

The first thread of this post focused on the fact he seemed disinterested. That calls into question his commitment and passion - and that is two things that is clearly not missing in his game.

Maybe if a few more players, swore, and threw their mouthguard and showed some competitive spirit, then the Cowboys might start winning some games because obviously then it wouldnt be just JT who cares they are losing.

And thats the way it comes across to me right now - as a nuetral NRL fan - JT seems the only one out there truly caring.

If you aren't embarrased and gutted from a loss like that, then you just don't care enough and shouldn't be playing NRL.

I'd have a team full of players with JT's competitive spirit and will to win any day of the week.

I remember Joey playing behind a badly beaten forward pack many times, and even a genius can't pull attack brilliance outta their ass.
Joey did regularly though. Prince did it with the Tigers in 2005 as well.

Many would argue that Thurston is better than Prince. I seriously believe Thurston may have been brough back too soon from his operation.

Slackboy72

Coach
Poor boy. Maybe he's lovesick?
0,,5877067,00.jpg

Munky

Coach
madunit said:
Many would argue that Thurston is better than Prince. I seriously believe Thurston may have been brough back too soon from his operation.

He does have two bung shoulders. I'd imagine as a playmaker it is a real bugger when passing the ball has to be re-learnt following an operation.

Lego_Man

First Grade
If Da Finchy Code keeps up his good form, he may be wearing the sky blue number 7 jeresey.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Lego_Man said:
If Da Finchy Code keeps up his good form, he may be wearing the sky blue number 7 jeresey.

i doubt it, i think his card might be marked
i expect they'll go with a youngster to partner anasta... wallace is leading at the moment, followed by mullen and carney has some work to do form wise

Nightward

Juniors
It's starting to look suspciiously like Mat Rodgers knew what he was talking about.

I don't know what it is, but something's gone horribly wrong up in North Queensland. Even with the heavy assistance the Ref gave the Cowboys down at the line they couldn't crack the Broncos. You'd think they'd have gotten a try or two by simple weight of possession, but nobody did anything.

mightybears

Bench
Phil McGrawhan said:
You would have to start believing some of the rumours from Townsville about player discontent with GM.

Yep, led by JT Whingy, won't be tipping them until the 'air' clears.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
fulltime said:
what apart from him being an arrogant, spoilt, board protected f/wit who is the biggest whiny bitch in the game not much else is wrong.

Who has won a comp, origon, test matches,has two dally M awards to his name and played for his state and country. Not bad for a so called ' whiny bitch' hey.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Munky said:
He does have two bung shoulders. I'd imagine as a playmaker it is a real bugger when passing the ball has to be re-learnt following an operation.
No one makes excuses like that for Benji Marshall.

Even when Marshall returned last season he was fairly rusty but he looked a hell of a lot more lively and threatening in attack than Thurston currently does.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nightward said:
It's starting to look suspciiously like Mat Rodgers knew what he was talking about.

I don't know what it is, but something's gone horribly wrong up in North Queensland. Even with the heavy assistance the Ref gave the Cowboys down at the line they couldn't crack the Broncos. You'd think they'd have gotten a try or two by simple weight of possession, but nobody did anything.
Running 6 settlers on the defence's try line is hardly an attacking play I'd expect from a side with Thurston and Bowen in it.

But it happened on several occasions.

mightybears

Bench
t-ba said:
What is it with the initials JT and player revolts? :p

Very true!, halfbacks called JT not happy with coach, but the new JT doesn't have a young Matt Orford in the coaches ear saying pick me, because the Jase is too old and slow [and they'd have been correct in 1999], presumably both JT's need their egos massaged.

Dutchy

Immortal
In 2008, Thurston has decided to mould his game into a Matt Orford style of play.