What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When are NRL teams going to get serious about their sponsors?

j_tig

Juniors
Moffo said:
Iafeta, never argued that. All im saying is that NRL clubs in general would be able to get more out of targeting the bigger companies. That combined with the 'image' benefits of being associated with these companies make it a very attractive carrot to reach for

Some NRL clubs have caught on, others havent

i see ur point, however what is probably happening (im making a massive assumption here) is that all clubs will start looking at sponsorship deals with the most prestigious companies and work their way down, always with an eye on the bottom line. if the 'top' company offers less money than a 'lesser' company than the lesser company will get the sponsorship.

at the end of the day who cares as long as the club gets as much money as possible!

El Diablo

Post Whore
Moffo said:
Some NRL clubs have caught on, others havent

LOL

Moff unless you can show that the clubs that have sponsors that meet your aproval are getting more money than those that don't then you have NOTHING.

It's that simple.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
El, get out of this thread like you promised. You have nothing to offer.

TUFF TITAN

Juniors
Ford profits jump to $3.5 billion

Automaker records a 7-fold increase in spite of falling market share and growing costs

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0501/21/autos-65497.htm

OR
header.jpg

http://www.titangarages.com.au/about.php WHICH ONE ;()

Timbo

Staff member
Moffo does make some valid points.

The Raiders have lost their sponsor, however, it's believed a new one has been acquired for next season.

If the choice was out of Ma n Pa's corner shop and Coca-Cola, sure I'd want the known brand.

However the fact is you want whats best for the club. Yes, it'll raise the profile of the club to have a massive multi-national in support. However, when you think about it, the best thing for the club is to get as much money in the bank as possible.

So if Ma n Pa are offering 1 million and Coke is offering 750k, welcome aboard Ma n Pa!

El Diablo

Post Whore
Why will it raise the clubs profile?

The Bulldogs are sponsored by Mitsubishi Electric yet don't appear anywhere on their website or in commercials.

Timmah

Staff member
:|

Last I checked Mitsubishi ads are on and around the site - and at every home game there are the ads on the big screen with Mortimer and the Bulldogs keeping warm, getting food etc.

If the ads aren't on or around the website, they've been removed recently because I'm pretty sure ME had a fair bit of their logo on the place.

Timmah

Staff member
Or are you being tricky and referring to ME ads not featuring the Dogs? :p

nqboy

First Grade
One small though significant correction Moffo. The Cowboys aren't sponsored by Toyota, they are sponsored by a consortium of North Queensland Toyota dealers, hence the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys. More of regional sponsorship than a multinational one.

nqboy

First Grade
dodge, went to that link but couldn't be bothered to read all that crap. Are the Bulldogs mentioned somewhere there? It wasn't obvious if they are.

El Diablo

Post Whore
what's funniest is ME haven't even updated it and said they were sponsors in 2005 LMAO

These are the corprates you want to give your team "cred" lol

Surandy

Bench
El Diablo said:
so would you care to tell us what the clubs that have done well in terms of sponsorship pull in compared to the ones that are pathetic?

Does Toyota pay more the Mortage House?

How much does Mortgage House pay and who to? :?

Surandy

Bench
Moffo said:
I've never doubted that clubs should take the biggest offer they can get. You have joined the list of people who are misunderstanding what I'm saying. Bigger companies are in a better position to offer more.

Anyways, I don't expect you to understand what I'm saying so i'd say i'm the one wasting my time here

I've read 8 pages of this tripe and it seems to me that the only person that understands your point is you. Actually what IS your point?

Oh, and did you read what Thunderstruck posted? I think he refuted your "argument" the best.

Moffo

Referee
j_tig said:
i see ur point, however what is probably happening (im making a massive assumption here) is that all clubs will start looking at sponsorship deals with the most prestigious companies and work their way down, always with an eye on the bottom line. if the 'top' company offers less money than a 'lesser' company than the lesser company will get the sponsorship.

at the end of the day who cares as long as the club gets as much money as possible!

Absolutely agree with you mate. They should go for the most.

My concern is that clubs are either not aiming at the upper echelon of companies or don't have the businessmen that can sell the club properly to the corporate types

I worry that some clubs might say..well, if we'll get 500k a year we'll take it. What I mean is that they shouldn't always fall for the sponsor that says they'll come on board. I fear that this happens and it shouldn't

Moffo

Referee
gaterooze said:
And which do you think would gain more benefit from sponsoring a League jersey?

There's your answer. The company who gains more will value it higher, and will pay more. Corporates put a value on everything -- it's a simple economic calculation, nothing more.

Now, that's the reality from the corporate point of view. From the club's POV... I agree with eagle_eye -- I personally would much rather have Coal & Allied sponsoring the Knights than, say, Microsoft.

On the other hand, I hated Herbal World sponsoring the Tigers because the colours clashed. But I liked Wokka noodles on their sleeve because I like Wokka noodles :)

Horses for courses.

Bollocks mate. Don't mean to be rude but thats rubbish. A corner shop in general isn't going to be able to afford the million dollar sponsorship. A corporate will. Doesn't matter how much it means to the company, its how much they can pay for it

I look at how much some AFL clubs get from sponsors and then compare it to RL clubs and i think...even given minor discrepancies between the codes, the NRL clubs could do a lot better

Latest posts