What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where could/should/will the NRL be in 10 years time?

MugaB

Coach
mandatory?

says who ?

theres 14.5 Million people in NSW ACT & QLD
& another 5 Million in NZ
more then enough people to service a viable comp
Add a other 5 million in Melbourne, and the storm is worth any advantage the NRL can give it, as much as i want Perth and Adelaide, right now isn't the time, and until the can produce a club or juniors that can rival the other 2nd tier clubs in varius comps, it won't be happening, it takes decades for a club to produce 1st graders, and fat chance the nrl is going to transplant 20-30 ready made 1st graders in a foreign city, unless its a forced relocation of an existing franchise

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Broncos, Titans and Cowboys will certainly have to increase their junior playing numbers, as will all the NRL clubs. Junior development is the future of the game and lots of it.
“Consider granting them perpetual licenses”? They’ve been begging the clubs to accept perpetual licenses for 10 years!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Add a other 5 million in Melbourne, and the storm is worth any advantage the NRL can give it, as much as i want Perth and Adelaide, right now isn't the time, and until the can produce a club or juniors that can rival the other 2nd tier clubs in varius comps, it won't be happening, it takes decades for a club to produce 1st graders, and fat chance the nrl is going to transplant 20-30 ready made 1st graders in a foreign city, unless its a forced relocation of an existing franchise
Wont happen without a club to drive interest and massive funding. I think we’ve produced around 5 first graders in last few years but to make that 3-5 every year would take millions of $’s and a club for kids to dream of playing for. My idea would be for perth to partner with PNG. They have the numbers but not the development opportunities. If we could get 3-5 Perth players a year and 3-5 png players a year cracking First grade we’d be going well.

Out of interest how many club developed Jnrs make their first grade debuts each year for a heartland club?

you Can argue the nrl doesn’t need Adelaide and Perth but if it wants to crack the perception it’s an east coast sport and close the $250 mill a year gap on afl then it most certainly does.

Wont happen without a club to drive interest and massive funding. I think we’ve produced around 5 first graders in last few years but to make that 3-5 every year would take millions of $’s and a club for kids to dream of playing for. My idea would be for perth to partner with PNG. They have the numbers but not the development opportunities. If we could get 3-5 Perth players a year and 3-5 png players a year cracking First grade we’d be going well.

Out of interest how many club developed Jnrs make their first grade debuts each year for a heartland club?

you Can argue the nrl doesn’t need Adelaide and Perth but if it wants to crack the perception it’s an east coast sport and close the $250 mill a year gap on afl then it most certainly does.
I think the next four licences should go to Bris 2, NZ2, Perth and Bris 3. Then it's a matter of convincing one Sydney club to relocate to Adelaide and the competiton will be set up nicely.

Santino Patane

Juniors
Those programs are mainly watched by Boomers who are stuck in their ways
Agreed. Sorry Donkeys, I don’t think being popular in a dying/dead media is a positive future for our game (seriously, who actually watches those shows, let alone FTA in 2021?? Even my 83 year old Uncle is moving to streaming more and more these days). I would rather see us try to grow the digital footprint, but that seems dead in the water now too.

It would be good if we could get analysis and highlights programs on all of the major streaming services. I don't know if the legislation allows it, but it does then it'll be a good way of engaging people who may not even own a TV. Just getting current players to come on and talk about their careers and games would be a huge boost for the game. The streaming companies could use this sort of coverage as a cheap way of increasing the amount of local content they produce and help promote the game around the world so they they can eventually put in a bid to screen it in overseas markets. We might see a time in the future where the NRL is screened in America on Netflix.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It would be good if we could get analysis and highlights programs on all of the major streaming services. I don't know if the legislation allows it, but it does then it'll be a good way of engaging people who may not even own a TV. Just getting current players to come on and talk about their careers and games would be a huge boost for the game. The streaming companies could use this sort of coverage as a cheap way of increasing the amount of local content they produce and help promote the game around the world so they they can eventually put in a bid to screen it in overseas markets. We might see a time in the future where the NRL is screened in America on Netflix.
The netflix doco on F1 has had massive positive knock ons for that sport to new audiences. We should aim to get Netflix to do one on NRL clubs similar!

MugaB

Coach
The netflix doco on F1 has had massive positive knock ons for that sport to new audiences. We should aim to get Netflix to do one on NRL clubs similar!
Hahahaha tales from tigertown!!!!!!

"You broke me, you guys!" "f**k, f**k, f**ken f**kshit" -Michael Maguire

Jamberoo

Juniors
Note my use of the words "may" and "some". In all likelihood, a Christchurch NRL team will grow the supporter base, not cannibalise.
An NRL team in a small, isolated city of less than 400k where RL is not the major sport is going to find the going pretty tough. Player numbers are low and according to my research, the Canterbury area has only produced 21 NRL players - ever. Christchurch would have the same problems as Perth or Adelaide - few local players and little cut through in a crowded sporting market. Surely it would be better to take those risks in Australian cities that are 3.5 (Adelaide) and 5.5 (Perth) time bigger?
Why can’t the Warriors play games annually in Christchurch, Wellington to grow the game there.
Forget NZ, Perth next, then Adelaide and Bris 3.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
mandatory?

says who ?

theres 14.5 Million people in NSW ACT & QLD
& another 5 Million in NZ
more then enough people to service a viable comp
And NSW and QLD especially is where the population growth is coming from in the future which is why the AFL have to spend untold millions to get a small foothold in our heartlands and we don't have to spend anywhere near as much in theirs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And NSW and QLD especially is where the population growth is coming from in the future which is why the AFL have to spend untold millions to get a small foothold in our heartlands and we don't have to spend anywhere near as much in theirs.
It can spend untold on nsw and qlnd because:
a) it has a sht load of revenue
b) it has the footprint In it’s heartlands it wants
c) no rival sport is challenging it in its heartlands

when you’ve got those factors at home you can put your energy and money Into growing new markets. Meanwhile you are right nrl is spending virtaully nothing in the 3 major afl states

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It can spend untold on nsw and qlnd because:
a) it has a sht load of revenue
b) it has the footprint In it’s heartlands it wants
c) no rival sport is challenging it in its heartlands

when you’ve got those factors at home you can put your energy and money Into growing new markets. Meanwhile you are right nrl is spending virtaully nothing in the 3 major afl states
It does have a shit load more revenue for now. The NRL is not that far behind considering expansion really hasn't been looked at until now and we both know that Brisbane two is righting the wrongs of the past more than true expansion. When the NRL beast actually wakes up, the AFL are not in for an easy ride. The fact is that the NRL hearlands are 50% of the population and also the main growth areas of the country, plus we have a good foothold in NZ which they will never have.

Watch the beast awaken over the next couple of decades.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It does have a shit load more revenue for now. The NRL is not that far behind considering expansion really hasn't been looked at until now and we both know that Brisbane two is righting the wrongs of the past more than true expansion. When the NRL beast actually wakes up, the AFL are not in for an easy ride. The fact is that the NRL hearlands are 50% of the population and also the main growth areas of the country, plus we have a good foothold in NZ which they will never have.

Watch the beast awaken over the next couple of decades.
Haha, how long have we been saying that? Of course NRL has massive potential but the reality is the revenue gap has been widening year on year since the ARLC took over, not shortening. The game has no strategy for growth and wont invest the money it now has in it so how exactly is it going to overtake AFL to become the countries #1 football code? AFL have got a very easy ride as we are not challenging them anywhere except in our own backyard which is exactly where they want us to be.

jim_57

Staff member
I’ve said for a while the next few teams will depend on what the 17th is, if it had been Firehawks today I don’t think a 3rd Brisbane team would have been required, maybe a stand alone Ipswich or Sunshine Coast team in time.

Dolphins however leaves a gap open for a South/West team in the future. So now things are a little clearer:

17 - Moreton Bay Dolphins (North & East Greater Brisbane, Sunshine Coast)
18, 19 & 20 -
Perth Pirates
Wellington/Christchurch Orcas
Jets/Hornets (South & West greater Brisbane, Ipswich, Towoomba).

Adelaide for any relocation after that, if a relocation was forced before a 2nd NZ side enters though I think Christchurch or Wellington would be a good fit for a relocation. CQ, Central Coast & Auckland 2 as backup options. I think 20 teams should be the limit.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Haha, how long have we been saying that? Of course NRL has massive potential but the reality is the revenue gap has been widening year on year since the ARLC took over, not shortening. The game has no strategy for growth and wont invest the money it now has in it so how exactly is it going to overtake AFL to become the countries #1 football code? AFL have got a very easy ride as we are not challenging them anywhere except in our own backyard which is exactly where they want us to be.
We've been hearing the strategy the last couple of years... Abdo spoke about consolidating, renovating and then growing in the midst of the Covid-hit season last year. Then they have expanded on that further this year by saying they'll be going where the fans and players are, namely Brisbane 2 and NZ2. It might not be the exact strategy that you or I might employ but it is a strategy and they seem to be following through on it.

The AFL has peaked, they have very few feasible markets to expand into here and we have plenty and our game has still experienced great revenue growth despite the stagnation.

flippikat

Bench
I’ve said for a while the next few teams will depend on what the 17th is, if it had been Firehawks today I don’t think a 3rd Brisbane team would have been required, maybe a stand alone Ipswich or Sunshine Coast team in time.

Dolphins however leaves a gap open for a South/West team in the future. So now things are a little clearer:

17 - Moreton Bay Dolphins (North & East Greater Brisbane, Sunshine Coast)
18, 19 & 20 -
Perth Pirates
Wellington/Christchurch Orcas
Jets/Hornets (South & West greater Brisbane, Ipswich, Towoomba).

Adelaide for any relocation after that, if a relocation was forced before a 2nd NZ side enters though I think Christchurch or Wellington would be a good fit for a relocation. CQ, Central Coast & Auckland 2 as backup options. I think 20 teams should be the limit.
I think you're pretty much on the mark there.

Perth & NZ 2 are probably the next two teams in (in either order) - the Dolphins need a chance to "bed in", and the Broncos & Titans (and News Ltd!) will be very reluctant to admit a SE-Qld club that may step on their toes.

That brings us to 19 teams - and that 20th spot could well be West-Brisbane, with Adelaide as a relocation.... BUT the two unknowns are...

a) will relocation ever happen? (I have strong doubts) and
b) will the incumbent SE-Qld clubs & News Ltd resistance to SE-Qld expansion teams in that western corridor endure?

In that case, I can easily see the next 3 expansion clubs being Perth, NZ, Adelaide - or (more likely) NZ, Perth, Adelaide.

Latest posts