What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where could/should/will the NRL be in 10 years time?

They are much more revenue reliant on crowds, hence why it has impacted them much greater. They also haven’t withdrawn massive funding from development and grassroots like nrl has. Havent sacked half their staff and haven’t given away their digital arm.

anyway back to Storm, any evidence of owners tipping in millions? Here’s some evidence they are doing no such thing.

hahahahaha

but but but
de cwowds

de cwowds

They aren’t a profit making company, they just need to be break even and the expansion is cost neutral. only a fool couldn’t see the impact afl growth has had in nsw. But yeh sticking to our two states is going to take nrl to great heights!
again dummy

you'd think a club with 60K members & 35K crowds would do a little better $$ wise then the local fish & chip shop lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
So to sum up before I head out your arguments against expansion are:

Storm are getting millions to survive - false
storm lose money - false
swans are losing money - more profit years than loss years in last decade
no one cares about afl in Sydney - swans have the largest active fanbase in the city
no one cares about Storm in melbourne - Storm have one of biggest memberships, attendances and tv audiences in nrl
Afl lost more than nrl last year - but they made $1billion more revenue than nrl in last 4 years

hmmm great arguments lol

So to sum up before I head out your arguments against expansion are:

Storm are getting millions to survive - false
storm lose money - false
swans are losing money - more profit years than loss years in last decade
no one cares about afl in Sydney - swans have the largest active fanbase in the city
no one cares about Storm in melbourne - Storm have one of biggest memberships, attendances and tv audiences in nrl
Afl lost more than nrl last year - but they made $1billion more revenue than nrl in last 4 years

hmmm great arguments lol
hahaha

lets summise shall we

storm are getting millions to survive ... a 2K profit LOL& one year doesn't make a rats dick cheese of difference
swans are losing money , no I said they don't make any money despite their memberships & crowds
no one cares about afl in sydney ... swans can't outrate cartoons on TV in sydney
no one cares about nrl in melb... finally you got one right

we've had one year of vlandys ball & we've already caught up by 80 million bucks

oh keep going please
the entertainment is aweseome

tri_colours

Juniors
National competition is mandatory for a top-flight sport. Can't go back to existing as a NSWRL only or combination of NSWRL and QRL suburban clubs. There is the feeder existence there, and historical importance. But for a national comp, theres just no way else but to relocate Sydney clubs and continue to financially prop up those interstate clubs via the TV money and national/international investors. Until one day in the future they can be self-sufficient.

The Pacific Region is far more attractive than Perth or Adelaide.

The AFL have pissed hundreds of Millions away on Qld/Syd development and virtually nowhere. Unlike the AFL we have the opportunity to take the game internationally.

So where's the evidence the Storm are getting millions to survive?

I'm not piling into the AFL v NRL arguments, i don't honestly give a shit.
news ltd were losing about 6 to 8 million a year on them prior to offloading them

anyone suggesting they've covered that in modern times like perth red is

is an insane asylum inmate

flippikat

First Grade
I think once the business world knows there is definitely going to be an 18th club and it could be in any of those locations we could see some really strong consortiums or rich owners putting in a bid. Just in perth we have three mulit millionaires wanting to own the club along with NS bears super keen to partner with anyone they can And who knows what other global sports ownership entities are out there that would like to get involved. Be very interesting.
Precisely. The battle over that 18th club is going to be far more interesting than the battle for 17, which basically came down to "which Qld Cup club has deepest pockets & the least impact on Broncos & Titans?"

18 is the chance to get REALLY serious on expansion, and if we get more than one really compelling bid, it may give the NRL some serious food for thought regarding what happens AFTER we get to 18 clubs.

xe_kilroy

Juniors
Good move. Briabane Jets or call them Ipswich Jets representing the west, and Quandamooka/Moreton Bay/whatever Dolphins representing the north :thumbup:

xe_kilroy

Juniors
My daydream NRL

New clubs....
Christchurch Orcas
Gosford/Central Coast Bears
Ipswich/Brisbane Jets
Redcliffe/Moreton Bay Dolphins
Pacific Island Cyclones

Existing clubs...
Brisbane Broncos
Auckland Warriors
Newcastle Knights
Manly Sea Eagles
Bondi/Sydney Roosters
Souths Rabbitohs
Penrith Panthers
Parramatta Eels
Canberra Raiders
Melbourne Storm
Townsville/Nth Qld Cowboys
Gold Coast Titans
Macarthur Tigers (Campbelltown)
StG-Ill Dragons (100% Wollongong)
Perth Sharks
Adelaide Bulldogs (forgive me Canterbury fans)

By relocating just a few clubs, even after adding five new clubs, you reach only max 20 and hit every major region. (Finagle 21 into 20).

Last edited:
Here is Roy Masters’ two cents worth.
Roy Masters is a simpleton who thinks the world begins and ends in Sydney. He chips and changes his arguments to suit his "Sydney first" agenda.

I can't imagine the NRL with over 20 teams before 2050.
Sad innit. Taken from 1908 to reach this parlous state of the NRL being an Eastern Seaboard played sport. It is as far away from being a national sport now as ever was.. aside from the brief Super League era when the sport had a distinctive national look.
On the back of media deal Perth is announced in 2025 for admission in 2027
Pity not before as they have waited to be part of the NRL as long as Ireland did to get Test cricket status. Like also to see an Adelaide and a Pacific Island composite team.
Internationally lets see if we can outdo the rah rahs.
*Northern Zone: annual. Australia in England, France 6 Tests. Also like to see Australia play Wales, Scotland and Ireland to grow the sport in the UK and Ireland.
*Southern Zone: following year. England, France in Australia 6 Tests.
*Tri Nations: Australia, NZ, Pacific Island composite team.
*Periodic Samoa, Tonga, Cook Island, Fiji tours to further grow the sport in the South Pacific.
*A Biennial mini World Cup: Australia v British Lions, Ireland, France, New Zealand, PNG, PI composite side and the two best European Champion sides outside of UK and France.. Played in both hemispheres. Need to grow the game globally.

Again we can but dream.

Last edited:

flippikat

First Grade

It'd be interesting to see what the Broncos & Titans reaction to the prospect of two new SE-Qld clubs would be.. I honestly think Perth or NZ 2 would offer more - new scheduling options plus not muscling into the Brisbane/GC market.

Even though a 2nd NZ team may cannibalise some Warriors supporter base, that could be mitigated by putting it in Christchurch.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So where's the evidence the Storm are getting millions to survive?

I'm not piling into the AFL v NRL arguments, i don't honestly give a shit.
there is none as they aren’t. The nrl deal ran out 2018. Since then they have had no more funding from the nrl than any other team (less in fact that the Titans and knights during their bail out period). 2019 Storm broke even 2020 they made a $2million profit.
BaselineP just makes sht up.

Pippen94

First Grade
It'd be interesting to see what the Broncos & Titans reaction to the prospect of two new SE-Qld clubs would be.. I honestly think Perth or NZ 2 would offer more - new scheduling options plus not muscling into the Brisbane/GC market.

Even though a 2nd NZ team may cannibalise some Warriors supporter base, that could be mitigated by putting it in Christchurch.

Christchurch will not cannibalize auckland

Precisely. The battle over that 18th club is going to be far more interesting than the battle for 17, which basically came down to "which Qld Cup club has deepest pockets & the least impact on Broncos & Titans?"

18 is the chance to get REALLY serious on expansion, and if we get more than one really compelling bid, it may give the NRL some serious food for thought regarding what happens AFTER we get to 18 clubs.
The Broncos, Titans and Cowboys will certainly have to increase their junior playing numbers, as will all the NRL clubs. Junior development is the future of the game and lots of it.

Latest posts