What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where too for Souths??

m0j0

Bench
ozzie said:
It can't be there worst start as they didn't win a game in 1956 - maybe it's their worse start in 50 years...

They made it to the finals in 1956. It was 1946 that they didn't win any games, making this their worst start in 60 years. However, there were only 14 rounds in 1946, so they aren't too far away from their worst start in history.

Mr Saab said:
Souths will not beat the Tigers next week Aids...dont be negative about your team.
They have the off field settled with Crowe and HAC, but that doesnt equal to wins on the field. I dont know how they will attract players with how they are going.

Threats against family members of the players?
Blackmail?
Hypnosis?
Torture?

Besides that I dont see much of a chance!

Crusher

Coach
They are performing poorly but better than their for and against suggests.

I think a win is not far away

mightybears

Bench
ozzie said:
It can't be there worst start as they didn't win a game in 1956 - maybe it's their worse start in 50 years...

as mojo says souths lost all 14 matches in 1946, not 1956 [in that year they came 3rd]
they didn't win a match from mid 45 to early 47 in top grade [22 straight]

but just after 46 [late 40's] souths started on their second golden age, so they have hope!

The Preacher

First Grade
t-ba said:
Manly started from scratch... & With a smaller budget in August 2001...F*ck, Souths stole about 5 of our players.

How could a Manly fan have a go at Souths about stealing players.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Focal Point

Juniors
One of the many problems with Souths is that their "big name" signings just haven't stepped up (with the exception of Adam MacDougall - and that's saying something).

Look at the list...........

Shannon Hegarty - QLD & Australian rep with the Roosters. Since joining Souths has shown nothing.

Peter Cusack - Honest toiler with the Roosters. Now a shadow of his former self.

Joe Galuvao - Champion at the Panthers. Probably one of Souths best, but nowhere near the form that he showed with the Panthers.

Paul Mellor - Injury has hit him hard but is nowhere near the player that he was at the sharks.

Ben Walker - Nothing needs to be said.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
GoTheBears said:
Thats true, its like starting as a whole new side. How long did it take till warriors and cowboys were competitive???

The Warriors were competitive in their debut season, they only missed the top 5 because they were docked a couple of competition points for using an extra interchange.

Mr Saab

Referee
SpaceMonkey said:
The Warriors were competitive in their debut season, they only missed the top 5 because they were docked a couple of competition points for using an extra interchange.

top 8

Raiders Plight

Juniors
souths have been cellar dwellers since 1989 when they ironically won the minor premiership. A losing culture sure is hard to overcome.

Danish

Referee
fishingjedi said:
Its going to take them a fair while to recover from being dumped. They lost all their juniors & sponsors. You cant recover from that overnight. They are now slowly starting to get a few juniors come through the ranks again & getting it together at the front office.
Give em time, they'll become competive again.

Whats the excuse for the 10 years of pure crap prior to them being dumped then??

buster bunny

Juniors
Kiwi said:
It's not like they were setting the world on fire before they got dumped, they were just as bad as they are now.

The year Souths were dumped they actually had an improved year with a reasonably youthful side. Not to mention the fact that several good juniors who later excelled at other clubs were making their way through the ranks. If they had not been booted that year I think Souths might have eventually been quite competitive. Instead all those promising juniors were lost to other clubs who have subsequently won premierships with those players.

Also I think the Gold Coast wont have the same problem since they have had a good amount of time to build a side while Souths could only start once the court case was over which was only about 6 months prior to the season start.

t-ba

Post Whore
The Preacher said:
How could a Manly fan have a go at Souths about stealing players.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not really...The point I'm trying to make is that Manly entered the player market after Souths in 2001...and still have conjured up better results.

Souths 2002 Squad > 'Neagles 2002 squad' (we spent $1.5m that year).

It's more than needing time to build up a new squad. It's been gone over a million times before, but Souths have a severe cultural problem that needs to be eradicated. Maybe HAC and Rusty are the guys to do it...but it's getting really tiresome now!

The Preacher

First Grade
It still isn't right for a Manly supporter to complain about Souths recruitment when you consider how they (Manly) raped them (Souths) of STARS in the '70's and did the same to Wests in the '80's.
How many International or State reps did they recruit from you ???

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Danish said:
Whats the excuse for the 10 years of pure crap prior to them being dumped then??

It all starts at the front office. Im not a Souths supporter, but I think it's fair to say they havent had it together (the front office) for a long time. Bit like the tigers until a few years ago.

Azkatro

First Grade
Last grand final appearance for current sides in the NRL:

2005 Wests Tigers, North QLD Cowboys
2004 Sydney Roosters, Bulldogs
2003 Penrith Panthers
2002 Warriors
2001 Newcastle Knights, Parramatta Eels
2000 Brisbane Broncos
1999 Melbourne Storm, St.George/Illawarra Dragons
1997 Cronulla Sharks, Manly Sea Eagles
1994 Canberra Raiders
1989 Balmain Tigers
1981 Newtown Jets
1971 South Sydney Rabbitohs

This diagram is to scale !!!!!!!!

The only teams from modern history that fared worse were the Steelers (never appeared in a grand final), Wests (1963) and Norths (1943), as well as of course the Superleague teams such as Adelaide and Hunter along with other sides from the period that have come and gone like the Gold Coast, Western Reds and Crushers. And quite rightly all those sides are either gone or have merged (with one coming back next year - having 100% earned the right).

To me, that sums up where the Rabbitohs currently sit in the competition. There might not necessarily be a direct link between the amount of time between drinks but in terms of how anchored to the bottom I see the club it pretty well shows spot on where the Rabbitohs are compared to the rest of the competition IMO.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Other clubs should be grateful Souths keep carrying the wooden sppon for them! Someone has to finish bottom and I would think other teams are quite happy it is someone else.

How anyone could suggests Souths have added more to the NRL than a WA or SA team would have done is beyond me. You would think after been given a second chance they would have grabbed it with both hands.

Mr Saab

Referee
Seeing as souths have almost locked in the wooden spoon this yr (and prob next yr) I propose a 2nd award....the plastic spoon. Awarded to the team that finishes 2nd last.

Latest posts