What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will SBW rank among the game's best ever second rowers?

TheDalek079

Bench
since starting this thread, Mr Williams was instrumental in the Roosters winning the minor premiership. He also turned the game in the Grand Final to win his second premiership. A couple of days later he was named the Roosters' player of the year, and he's adding more international caps to his CV, including his first win in the Kiwis jersey.

Has Sonny Bill's accomplishments in the last few months altered your opinion of him? Is he in the Coote/Raper category yet or is he still on the Clyde/Tallis rung of the ladder?

Horrie Is God

First Grade
He's getting to the Coote/Raper class..

If he can repeat what he did this year, in 2014, then i'll have him up there..

Kiwi

First Grade
skill level? Quite highly, he's one of if not the most skillful back rower of all time.

Player resume wise?
Not near the top echelon. Clyde, BK, Menzies are three immediate names that spring to mind
Tallis, Thorn, Furner, Sironen, Lidner, Larsen, Roberts, Hindmarsh..........

SBW reminds me of Manly backrower Kosef. Kosef could have been one of the greats had it not been for countless injuries that limited his time in the game. SBW has had limited time in the game and I am willing tonbet he'll be gone end of next year in time for the rugby world cup so he falls under the same category.

TheDalek079

Bench
I was amazed at how quickly he returned to his best after 5 seasons away from the game, and despite that gap he was able to wield a powerful influence over the competition. Don't think many players could return after a 5 year absence and have the same impact

Tommy Smith

Referee
And comparing Johnny Raper to SBW is like suggesting Ken Rosewall is better than Rafael Nadal!

The way we over glorify legends of the past is just hilarious.

Johnny Raper would be Dallas Johnson at best if he played today. He wouldn't be able to lace up SBWs boots.

Kiwi

First Grade
Lol comparing Kosef to SBW. Who next, Dave Taylor? Oh wait that's already been done.
In terms of ability SBW is definitely better than Kosef sure will certainly agree. Was more a comparison as to why SBW won't rate along side the greats unless he sticks around in league for another 5 or so years.

TheDalek079

Bench
how long is enough to be considered a great? Take DallyM for example. 6 seasons, 50 games. Gets the awards named after him, and is in the team of the century.
Next year is SBW's 7th and he'll get to a century of games. That's enough for him to cement his status as a great

Chook Norris

First Grade
how long is enough to be considered a great? Take DallyM for example. 6 seasons, 50 games. Gets the awards named after him, and is in the team of the century.
Next year is SBW's 7th and he'll get to a century of games. That's enough for him to cement his status as a great

Exactly :lol:

I wouldn't use Dally M as a good example to maker your point. It was Dally's willingness to move to league that helped get the game off the ground in Australia.

Latest posts