What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will SBW rank among the game's best ever second rowers?

Well SBW is the best player in the world right now so you'd have to think he'd be right up there.

But he's not Australian so he can't be one of the all time greats.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
so it's ok that Dally spent a fair bit of his career in union then?

I'm sure he would've played more RL if the game existed here earlier. Dopey statement.

Past players are judged on how they performed compared to the players fron the same era. Comparing across era's is impossible, largely due to rules & the way those rules helped define a position.

Those players who changed the way the game was played in their time deserve legend status for that. Ron Coote, John Raper, Arthur Beetson, Frank Burge, Duncan Thompson, Dally Messenger etc etc

I'm sure he would've played more RL if the game existed here earlier. Dopey statement.

Past players are judged on how they performed compared to the players fron the same era. Comparing across era's is impossible, largely due to rules & the way those rules helped define a position.

Those players who changed the way the game was played in their time deserve legend status for that. Ron Coote, John Raper, Arthur Beetson, Frank Burge, Duncan Thompson, Dally Messenger etc etc

You forgot Michael Bani.

so it's ok that Dally spent a fair bit of his career in union then?

Considering rugby league didn't exist for much of Dally Messenger's playing career the comparison with SBW is flawed. Further, my point related to you saying "how long is enough to be considered a great? Take DallyM for example. 6 seasons, 50 games. Gets the awards named after him, and is in the team of the century". It came across to me as disrespecting Dally M.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hassan Saleh was Ken Irvine in comparison.

I once saw Saleh catch the ball.

TheDalek079

Bench
Considering rugby league didn't exist for much of Dally Messenger's playing career the comparison with SBW is flawed. Further, my point related to you saying "how long is enough to be considered a great? Take DallyM for example. 6 seasons, 50 games. Gets the awards named after him, and is in the team of the century". It came across to me as disrespecting Dally M.

I'm a Roosterman. I'd never disrespect Dally

aads

Juniors
He will rank as a turncoat who did what he wanted to - wasnt known for his defence and concentrated on attack

Danny Weidler will remember him in ALL of his columns

Ads

Chook Norris

First Grade
He will rank as a turncoat who did what he wanted to - wasnt known for his defence and concentrated on attack

Danny Weidler will remember him in ALL of his columns

Ads

I take it you didn't watch any of his games this year. I suggest you stop commenting.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Had he stayed in League and attained the form he discovered in Union and whilst at Easts last year, probably a legend who could promote the ball whilst in a position where no other could, and would have most likely had a simliar effect to Benji's sidestep on junior league players.

But unfortunately he turned the other way and his rep will have that stain on it. I commend him for trying to get back in the good books and he has somewhat done that, but he probably didn't stay in League long enough to be recognised as a legend. Perhaps a legendary sportsman who could throw around the Steeden, the Gilbert and throw a few punches equally well, but didn't dominate long enough to truly become a legend of the game. Just my two cents.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Won't rank anywhere as far as I am concerned unless he plays 4 to 5 seasons straight.

He is in awesome form, no doubt, but subject yourself to the toughest game on earth for more than 2 seasons in a row to show your durability and toughness.

Otherwise he is just a mercenary chasing the dollar who could play footy quite well.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Haha the fail is strong in this thread.

He's the most talented forward of all time. I haven't seen another forward even close.