What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will the St George Illawarra Dragons finish in 2019?

Where will the St George Illawarra Dragons finish in 2019?

• Total voters

Old Timer

Coach
If we don't finish 1st does it matter all that much because if we finish top 8 the coach gets 2 more years anyway and this circular conversation will just go round and round with some being happy that we look ok for a good part of the year and others pissed off and wanting the ultimate prize.
The reality is if we don't win this year IMO we will have less chance next year.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
I say Premiers.....and Minor Premiers also

with Lucky and Lawrie totally firing and the consistency of Vaughn, Tariq Simms AND Korbin Simms along with mighty Frizz smashing them and with Robson off the bench weaving his magic our pack will be unstoppable allowing Hunt and Norman to totally dominate, setting up Pearson, Dufty, Lomax, Field , Periera, Ravalawa, Silverman and co for HEAPS of tries, we will be the pinnacle team , with iron wall defence and scorching attack NO one will stop us mark my words, it WILL be OUR year in 2019!!
And then there's mary

nontime111

Juniors
Optimism of the highest order .but I applaud you go the BIG RED V
I figure with the right team, the Mary factor will be overriden finally

Id like to see this team, with Widdop at the back and the 2 fast wingers along with 3 big bodies on the bench and Robson there aswell to give Mcinnes breaks as he does too much work, a 2 prong Hooker attack right up the guts will create so many holes in defences when Robson comes on with fresh legs

Aitkens gone for Lomax and Duftys gone for Widdop as he MUST be in the team
Aitken can cover for any injuries to the centres or even drop in ahead of Host to lock or 2nd row incase of injuries there, with Dufty on standby for any injuries to Widdop

Widdop
Pearson
Lomax
Lafai
Ravalawa
Norman
Hunt

Luch
Frizzell
T.Simms
Vaughn
Mcinnes
Graham

bench:

Robson
K.Simms
Lawrie
Latimore

Crush

Coach
If we don't finish 1st does it matter all that much because if we finish top 8 the coach gets 2 more years anyway and this circular conversation will just go round and round with some being happy that we look ok for a good part of the year and others pissed off and wanting the ultimate prize.
The reality is if we don't win this year IMO we will have less chance next year.
Yeah I'd say this is pretty much true but not because of the coach more so that we will still have Widdop.
The coach will be the same this year as next year so don't see how we have less chance next year because of him.
If you take a good look at our roster we are very strong in 2019 in most areas. 2-5 looks dicey but if you are going to be vulnerable in some area rather it be the outside guys than playmakers and forwards. To have a team with Hunt, Widdop, Norman in it is pretty exciting given where we have come from in recent times (mccrone)
2019 has the potential to be a premiership. And McGregor isn't going anywhere soon.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
I figure with the right team, the Mary factor will be overriden finally

Id like to see this team, with Widdop at the back and the 2 fast wingers along with 3 big bodies on the bench and Robson there aswell to give Mcinnes breaks as he does too much work, a 2 prong Hooker attack right up the guts will create so many holes in defences when Robson comes on with fresh legs

Aitkens gone for Lomax and Duftys gone for Widdop as he MUST be in the team
Aitken can cover for any injuries to the centres or even drop in ahead of Host to lock or 2nd row incase of injuries there, with Dufty on standby for any injuries to Widdop

Widdop
Pearson
Lomax
Lafai
Ravalawa
Norman
Hunt

Luch
Frizzell
T.Simms
Vaughn
Mcinnes
Graham

bench:

Robson
K.Simms
Lawrie
Latimore
I'm wishing you are right but when the tide turns against us in games mary's all at sea

Old Timer

Coach
Yeah I'd say this is pretty much true but not because of the coach more so that we will still have Widdop.
The coach will be the same this year as next year so don't see how we have less chance next year because of him.
If you take a good look at our roster we are very strong in 2019 in most areas. 2-5 looks dicey but if you are going to be vulnerable in some area rather it be the outside guys than playmakers and forwards. To have a team with Hunt, Widdop, Norman in it is pretty exciting given where we have come from in recent times (mccrone)
2019 has the potential to be a premiership. And McGregor isn't going anywhere soon.
Next year no Widdop no Graham and the coach potentially in a new 2 or 3 year contract so no pressure on him.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
I have a bad feeling about 2019,things have just not been going that smoothly with the DeBelin and Widdop happenings.
We will certainly miss JDB and I hope our coaching staff are up to it?????????

RufusRex

Post Whore
I have a bad feeling about 2019,things have just not been going that smoothly with the DeBelin and Widdop happenings.
We will certainly miss JDB and I hope our coaching staff are up to it?????????

Player unavailability has been a god send for Mary’s selection at times ... it god rid of nightingale, it gave us lomax ... I think that there is a huge opportunity here to get our right right if Frizz moves to 13. It won’t weaken the middle, will improve our right edge structure and will force playmakers into that link role ... jdb is a loss but there is a positive solution that would never be considered if he were playing.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
2019 could well be a dog's breakfast of a year for us, there's huge black cloud hanging over JDB who is in his prime, Widdop wont be here (at least in his head, if not gone completely) and Norman is, being realistic, a huge gamble for the club. That combined with the potential mismanagement of the careers of Dufty , Lomax and Field as well as the obvious deficiencies of the coach, it could be bleak - given all these concerns I predict 9th - 12th.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
2019 could well be a dog's breakfast of a year for us, there's huge black cloud hanging over JDB who is in his prime, Widdop wont be here (at least in his head, if not gone completely) and Norman is, being realistic, a huge gamble for the club. That combined with the potential mismanagement of the careers of Dufty , Lomax and Field as well as the obvious deficiencies of the coach, it could be bleak - given all these concerns I predict 9th - 12th.
better change your name to NOCHANCEMYDRAGONS.........

Frank Facer

First Grade
I have got us second pick behind Easts.

Easts probably look stronger this year than last year. They have lost Napa and Fergo, but have gained Crichton, B Morris a winger who I think may have represented England. Radley, Mitchell and Manu could all make further improvements to their game in 2019, while their spine now has a combination.

We have only lost AhMau, McDonald and Nightingale. We have replaced AhMau with Sims. Lomax will come into our backline. We have also had the addition of Norman. Lucky and Lawrie should both take improvement from last season. I think we look stronger this year than last year.

Souths and Melbourne have both lost a great player each in Crichton and Slater respectively. They have not replaced either. I think they both look a bit weaker than last year, but they should both make the top 8.

I think Warriors will struggle to make the top 8.

Brisbane look like they are a team on the up. I won't be surprised to see them make the top 4. They have numerous very exciting forwards in Pangai, Haas, Fifita, Su'A, Lodge and Ofahengaue should all be better than last year.

Last edited:

SEAT 1A

Bench
Same coach, same as last year. 5-8TH then over and out.

If Mary leaves the conditioning to Pickworth you know, the bloke who is educated in that field. A top 4 finish and a real chance.

dragon thomo

Juniors
Your right Frank Brisbane do have some talent in there side, but i wonder about the loss of Thiaday and Maguire. I have seen teams of the past let there experienced hard heads go and have struggled.
Its no surprise to say the Roosters are going to be the side to beat, but with a bit of luck with injuries and our coaching staff can pick our side on form we might have a show.

possm

Coach
If our new coaching adviser can convince Mary to correctly manage the bench and select the team on form - resting players with injury / fatigue, then I see a god chance of winning the competition in 2019.

We will need Lomax at right centre, Widdop at fullback, Robson in the hooker rotation and our two new young gun wingers in the 17 from round 1.