What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will the St George Illawarra Dragons finish in 2019?

Where will the St George Illawarra Dragons finish in 2019?

• Total voters

BLM01

First Grade
I think it was his only position. He was getting bullied in the front row. Not big enough.
He would'nt got bullied had he listened to the right people. Mick Weyman took him under his wing in the early days and teaching how to be a real front rower he aspired to be and the club had high hopes for. But his head grew a bit big (easily happens) when they touted him as a future rep player and then Price decided he needed to add more footwork before the line (which became dancing) and add some 2nd phase in his game.....they forget to teach him and Merrin had no idea how to get to 1st phase primarily (run hard at the line, bend it back or get through the line, then offload). The Penriff offered the big bucks and then........rest history.
Big unit (lower body) but I would of stopped short of saying he did not have enough heart. He reached rep football too early IMO, Penrith contract and he thought the hard work is done.
Did he not throw a haymaker in a scrum at origin missing the target. Who was that at!

Last edited:

giboz71

First Grade
The Panthers success wil largely depend on if Nathan lives up to the hype. They have pretty much put their whole future in his hands, even to the point of getting his Dad back just to keep him there. Gould re-hiring Ivan after sacking him and paying him out is ludicrous. And people think he’s the master Administrator?

Nathan may end up a very good player but I’m not sold yet. Got a touch of Mitchell Pearce about him, who was also a good player but massively hyped up mainly due to his surname than his ability.

If Nathan is just another version of Mitchell, Panthers won’t go anywhere.

DragonJ

Juniors
The Panthers success wil largely depend on if Nathan lives up to the hype. They have pretty much put their whole future in his hands, even to the point of getting his Dad back just to keep him there. Gould re-hiring Ivan after sacking him and paying him out is ludicrous. And people think he’s the master Administrator?

Nathan may end up a very good player but I’m not sold yet. Got a touch of Mitchell Pearce about him, who was also a good player but massively hyped up mainly due to his surname than his ability.

Maybe his dad will get the best out of him and prove me wrong but at this stage he looks to me like a Pearce who can kick much more effectively but not run as effectively. If Brooks can learn to tackle, IMO he is the only halfback from NSW close to our Ben or Cronk or, in pains me to say, DCE.

Gould has an amazing brain for the game and can get guys fired up. Should have stayed a coach. For this season they are paying the salary for 3 coaches. Griffin, Cleary and McGuire as part of the deal for the Tigers to release Cleary. A ludicrous situation. Maybe they are rolling in cash and he doesn't have the sense to invest it much more wisely so is happy to splash it around now.

Drag Queen

Bench
He was big enough. Not enough ticker.
I usually agree with you but @St Jimmy is on the money here. Plenty of ticker. Anyway mate I hope you're not working and getting the kool-aid into you. It's a f**king hot one up the coast. Beach, pub and home with all day sports. Happy days Xx

Drag Queen

Bench

I like young Cleary. For a young player his talent is obvious. I'm not sure having his Dad as coach is in his best interest Giboz. Thin line if nepotism rears it's ugly head and things go pear shaped. I'm not a fan of Gould as you may have guessed. Seems to be the Trump of NRL. Too much power and signs of a narcissist. Anyways mate, hope you're enjoying Australia Day Xx

DragonJ

Juniors
His “metres made” in addition to the numbers he took out of the defensive line suggest otherwise.
Sure. I may be wrong about it. It's just the impression I got and I remember some things about him playing for us. Like guys going for massive hits on him rather than concentrating on making the tackle. A lack of respect. I can't ever remember seeing it with Vaughan, LAM, Graham.

Regardless, he is not 1/2 the lock JDB is. Glad McFooknuckle let him go. @TruSaint won't like me stating this but apart from Widdop, McFooknuckle hasn't been too bad in letting players go. Judging on Merrin since he left, Dugan last year and some of our hyped juniors who he let go.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Sure. I may be wrong about it. It's just the impression I got and I remember some things about him playing for us. Like guys going for massive hits on him rather than concentrating on making the tackle. A lack of respect. I can't ever remember seeing it with Vaughan, LAM, Graham.

Regardless, he is not 1/2 the lock JDB is. Glad McFooknuckle let him go. @TruSaint won't like me stating this but apart from Widdop, McFooknuckle hasn't been too bad in letting players go. Judging on Merrin since he left, Dugan last year and some of our hyped juniors who he let go.

You forget Wayne Bennett selected a very young, inexperienced Merrin for the 2010 grand final when he could’ve easily chosen more battle hardened alternatives.

I’d back his judgment over McGregor’s every day of the week including weekends.

TruSaint

Referee

Still trolling me you scumbag ?
f**kwit...

Dragonslayer

First Grade
This has been such a long off-season, longest I can remember without decent positive info or discussion points coming from the club or team or players. All we have gotten is negative references. Firstly, we had the Hayne recruitment farce, then the Widdop departure, then the big one in JDB. Then the negative inferences with the signing of Norman. Even when e have announced signings they have been renounced as reserve graders. Interestingly, Ravalawa was belittled so mush he was only referred to as the "Fijian sensation", without even mention of his real name. Now, surprisingly, he's on the wing on many forumites team sheets. Someone said he was fast so he must get a start.

You just have to look at the threads created to know the thoughts of people during this off-season.

To me, this is not the blame of the people on here, I simply point the finger directly at the club. Each week that passes by we receive scant at best, info from our training sessions, where are the weekly updates from Pickworth? and we still haven't officially been told who is coaching our JF team. I notice also that one of our young guns doesn't even have his profile listed on our website. Sad indictment of our club's administration, imo.

Now, more than before, we find discussions turning into arguments, name calling and down-right belligerence of opinions. Nothing wrong with heated discussion and having differences of opinion, no-one would deny that at all. But, there are those who just enjoy the "click-bait" scenario, and some fall for it hook, line and sinker.

Don't get sucked in people, because as they say pride always comes before a fall.

Drag Queen

Bench
This has been such a long off-season, longest I can remember without decent positive info or discussion points coming from the club or team or players. All we have gotten is negative references. Firstly, we had the Hayne recruitment farce, then the Widdop departure, then the big one in JDB. Then the negative inferences with the signing of Norman. Even when e have announced signings they have been renounced as reserve graders. Interestingly, Ravalawa was belittled so mush he was only referred to as the "Fijian sensation", without even mention of his real name. Now, surprisingly, he's on the wing on many forumites team sheets. Someone said he was fast so he must get a start.

You just have to look at the threads created to know the thoughts of people during this off-season.

To me, this is not the blame of the people on here, I simply point the finger directly at the club. Each week that passes by we receive scant at best, info from our training sessions, where are the weekly updates from Pickworth? and we still haven't officially been told who is coaching our JF team. I notice also that one of our young guns doesn't even have his profile listed on our website. Sad indictment of our club's administration, imo.

Now, more than before, we find discussions turning into arguments, name calling and down-right belligerence of opinions. Nothing wrong with heated discussion and having differences of opinion, no-one would deny that at all. But, there are those who just enjoy the "click-bait" scenario, and some fall for it hook, line and sinker.

Don't get sucked in people, because as they say pride always comes before a fall.
I'm the first to acknowledge that I'm the reactive type, although not so much now. Personal attacks don't faze me too much tbh. There are plenty of good guys and girls on this forum that override the negative ones. I choose to ignore them mostly, unless they unequivocally invoke derision and hatred. They know who they are Xx

Warabrook saint

Juniors
I want to be wrong....I really want to to be wrong but bottom 4 for mine. Trust me when I say that I am a "glass half full" sort of person but I have a deep foreboding about this year. I think this is the year that the McGregor charade is fully exposed. With the JDB "distraction" and with your captain wanting out of the club; I think we are in trouble. This might be the year "we have too have" to set the boat on the right course for the next decade.

The good news is that I expect the coaching staff to be terminated and I predict a very strong re-bound in 2020. It is crucial however (as it always is) as to how we manage our promising juniors.

As an aside, and I have mentioned this before BUT (wait for it)....Paul McGregor is our clubs longest serving coach in almost 40 years. Is it just me that find that fact astonishing? How do some of my fellow dragon tragic's feel about that? It makes me feel really nauseous.
Everyone on here owes you a drink :beer:

I want to be wrong....I really want to to be wrong but bottom 4 for mine. Trust me when I say that I am a "glass half full" sort of person but I have a deep foreboding about this year. I think this is the year that the McGregor charade is fully exposed. With the JDB "distraction" and with your captain wanting out of the club; I think we are in trouble. This might be the year "we have too have" to set the boat on the right course for the next decade.

The good news is that I expect the coaching staff to be terminated and I predict a very strong re-bound in 2020. It is crucial however (as it always is) as to how we manage our promising juniors.

As an aside, and I have mentioned this before BUT (wait for it)....Paul McGregor is our clubs longest serving coach in almost 40 years. Is it just me that find that fact astonishing? How do some of my fellow dragon tragic's feel about that? It makes me feel really nauseous.
Prophetic post RB - amazing!
I thought we would slump out of the 8 but I never thought bottom 4.
Hats off...

Latest posts