What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which clubs make/break careers?

Nathan B

Juniors
Captain_Fred said:
I spose it could be argued the the Roosters of last year fall into the 'break' category, as Ashley Harrison has gone downhill, and Braith Anasta...well, he didn't have much of a career anyway

C'mon - that's a bit harsh. Aren't you forgetting guys like Brett Finch, Brett Firman, Luke Dorn and Jamie Soward.

And they're just the halves!

(Have fun, Cronulla :shock:)

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
LeagueNut said:
:lol: Gotta love that optimism!!

Just thinking about the Warriors - they seem to both make and break a players career at the same time.

Guys like John Simon, Jason Death & Robbie Mears were seen as "saviours" while they were over here, and all were recruited when nobody else wanted them. But then they left on bad terms (Simon & Mears especially) and never reached any great heights after that.

More recently, Todd Byrne was solid in his first season (he was our leading tryscorer in 2005) but has since slipped off the radar pretty sharply.

As far as breaking a career goes, I can't think of a more rapid decline than Matthew Ridge.

There's been a few others too. Greg Alexander never really found form at the Warrior the way he did at Penrith, although much of that may have been the fact that he was still dealing with the death of his brother (which seemed to have a similar effect on Mark Geyers career). Joe Gulavao was only a fringe first grader at the Warriors then went on to have a couple of brilliant seasons at Penrith.

t-ba

Post Whore
mattyg said:
When can you lose your bias and realise that no players have ended up better off under the Eagles coaching staff you wank. I dont care if we lost to you's in 2006, fact is we develop players better than you, that is what this thread is about...deal with it.

Steve Matai, Chris Hicks, Mark Bryant, Kylie Leuleuai, Daniel Heckenberg, Michael Monaghan & Luke Williamson all disagree with that opinion...but please continue. They've all come to us and they're all better players. Brent Kite also displayed career best form last season, and only Injury kept Kennedy from earning the Dally M last year...

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Eelementary said:
Parramatta Eels. Why?

* Eric Grothe Junior - couldn't get any game time at the Roosters; comes back to the Eels, and is the best winger in the game.

* Fuifui Moimoi - if he manages to not get suspended for too long this year, he should figure heavily in the Kiwi Test side calculations. Before he came to the Eels, he was grossly unfit. Now, he's one of our best props.

* Wade McKinnon - a solid nuffy at Souths; since coming back home, he was seen as one of the best all round fullbacks in the game. Maybe not quite rep standard, but I doubt many clubs would knock him back.

* Craig Stapleton - had a good solid year at Parra, we didn't re-sign him and some lucky other clubs snapped him up.

And, in 2007, you can add Brett Finch to the list. ;-)

Add Dean Widders to the list, and Daniel Wagon for a period

I reckon the Broncos have always been a club to turn someone's career around, have a look at the players in the past. Justin Hodges, obviously, but what about Ben Hannant, before he came to the club he was known as Ben Who? Now he's the man they reckon the replace Webcke.

Ben Ikin went from struggling Norths in 99 to premiership winner in 2000, there was also Harvey Howard from Magpies to Broncos in 2000. Luke Priddis was the same.

Someone mentioned Manly for breaking careers, its sort of yes and no. In 2005 they bought Witt who went sh*tt, and Ben Kennedy who became their leader and best player. Luke Williamson still in first grade, I think it was playing for Adelaide.

other clubs for making careers:

Melbourne Storm, David Kidwell, Steve Turner, Michael Crocker
Penrith, Preston Campbell, Paul Whaturia, Ben Ross, Amos Roberts
Cowboys, Carl Webb, Jonathon Thurston
Warriors, Micheal Luck, Todd Byrne
Bulldogs, Daniel Holdsworth, Luke Patten, Andrew Ryan
Wests Tigers, Brett Hodgson

Stagger eel

Staff member
over the years Canterbury have been far and away the best club to make Careers and Souths were easilly the more likely club to break them.

skeepe

Immortal
Surprised there's been no mention of the Raiders. Jason Smith anyone? Matt Adamson? Clinton Schifcofske? That's to name but a few who were on the scrapheap before they came to us.

steeden.

Juniors
Brisbane has to be one the best in terms of making careers for those who come through their ranks

Stagger eel

Staff member
steeden. said:
Brisbane has to be one the best in terms of making careers for those who come through their ranks

actually your right, I'd probably put them on par with Canterbury.

Ice777

Bench
As PARRA_FAN mentioned the Storm have had Kidwell and still have Turner and Crocker as well. I also think Brett White fits into that category as well. He couldn't get a game at the Dragons, which is understandable given the depth of forwards they had so he came to Melbourne and has been our best forward in the last 2 years. He's very consistant and rarely if ever puts in a bad game and was rewarded with a country origin spot last year.

But my all time favorite would have to be Matt King. An Australian and NSW representitive player that couldn't even get a start in Cronulla's reserve grade side. Yep, they have a great eye for talent the Sharkies :lol:

The Colonel

Immortal
Ice777 said:
But my all time favorite would have to be Matt King. An Australian and NSW representitive player that couldn't even get a start in Cronulla's reserve grade side. Yep, they have a great eye for talent the Sharkies :lol:

Eye for talent or not, the bloke was just going through the motions at both the Sharks and Norths. It wasn't really until he was living on Orford's floor that he wanted to turn things around.

Steven Bell would be another that has progressed well through the Storm ranks...

Focal Point

Juniors
joel caine number 1 fan said:
Paul Whatuira - was on the bench for penrith for most hes time now at the tigers one of the best centres in the game

Most of the time?

I think you'll find that he played in Penrith's starting 13 for the entire 2003 season. He did play some games off the bench in 2004. Agreed though that Satt's career at the Tigers nosedived.

As for teams that "break" careers, well it's obvious that Cronulla holds the mortgage for that title. Probably the only title they'll ever have. Anyone joining Cronulla automatically commits career suicide.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
You're right on Schifcoske and Smith, Schifcoske was always good but couldnt get a start cause of Brett Hodgson at Parramatta. Jason Smith was the big surprise, a lot of doubt cause of his age and form, and was struggling a bit in his last year at Parramatta.

Its funny you mention Cronulla, the only bloke I can think who's career has gone better is Luke Covell. :lol:

Disco

Bench
What a silly question

Some players excel at some clubs and dont succeed at others, there are no particular clubs that hurt players abilities

Focal Point said:
Most of the time?

I think you'll find that he played in Penrith's starting 13 for the entire 2003 season. He did play some games off the bench in 2004.

Yeah, he only started in the games when Lewis was in Origin/Injured and when Girds was injured, he was their 3rd choice center and was not in their usual backline (although it was very strong)

1 Wesser
2 Robberts
3 Girdler
4 Lewis
5 Rooney
6 Campbell
7 Gower

17 Whatuira

wittyfan

Referee
t-ba said:
Steve Matai, Chris Hicks, Mark Bryant, Kylie Leuleuai, Daniel Heckenberg, Michael Monaghan & Luke Williamson all disagree with that opinion...but please continue. They've all come to us and they're all better players. Brent Kite also displayed career best form last season, and only Injury kept Kennedy from earning the Dally M last year...

Chad Randall and Witty are just two players for starters that were poorer for being at Manly.

Mr Saab

Referee
Disco said:
What a silly question

Some players excel at some clubs and dont succeed at others, there are no particular clubs that hurt players abilities

You will find that the majority of players that leave the Broncos and Bulldogs go on to have very avg careers.

BIGMAC

Juniors
Marshall_magic said:
Yeah, he only started in the games when Lewis was in Origin/Injured and when Girds was injured, he was their 3rd choice center and was not in their usual backline (although it was very strong)

1 Wesser
2 Robberts
3 Girdler
4 Lewis
5 Rooney
6 Campbell
7 Gower

17 Whatuira

i think you will find that roberts was not at penrith in 2003 and that lewis was on the wing.
in fact whatuira was penriths centre all year and even played in thier grand final win.

Latest posts