What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which clubs make/break careers?

KFC

Juniors
The Sharks don't buy enough high profile players to break.

Mind you Ben Ross seems to be a work in progress.

The Riddler

Juniors
I think that a Club does'nt make or break a player,It's the player who decides which path he travels down.

But if i had to pick a Club that would break a player's career,I would have to say South Sydney.

Bench
badav said:
You can scratch hodges off that list. i dont know why you even bothered with that one. he was totally useless at the roosters, and is only back to his peak now that hes with brisbane again.
No he wasn't,Hodges had one outstanding year at the Chooks,he was one of the best centres in the NRL.
His form went pear shaped the following year when his girlfriend left him.

sydraider

First Grade
851 said:
No he wasn't,Hodges had one outstanding year at the Chooks,he was one of the best centres in the NRL.
His form went pear shaped the following year when his girlfriend left him.

Beat me to it. Hodges had a killer year in 02 at the Roosters.

Like you said, personal issues as well as injury ruined the rest of his tenure there.

caylo

Bench
well for parramatta, we made many carrers
Drew (a former halfback, went on to win 2001 dally m hooker of the year)
Taylor (noone wanted him)
Butneer
Lyon
Vealiki (a fullback in the nz junior team, nominated for dally m centre of th year with jamie lyon in 2001)
Hodgson (avg 5-8/halfback for wests)
Wagon (a struggling winger)
Fui

even avg player showed their best form in the blue and gold
Staplton
Junior Langi
Mogg
Donalds
Richards (before being injured)
Morris

the Dogs as mentioned always do well with their players, and the broncos similarly. It has alot to do with the structure i believe, these players are set through systems which ensure they produce their best. I think it is more than just coachs, but these 3 clubs ive mentions have had one coach at the relm for an extended period, and that stability can only help the team, it also makes it easyer for other coachs to come in and not have to re-vamp the whole system (i.e taylor, and hags both just fell into their jobs without changing much, but both bring their own individual ideas). The cowboys, Manly, St George, are getting to this point with their stability of the clubs, which in recent time is helping the club. Clubs like the Roosters are lossing this, with CEO firing everyone when performances are not always produced, i think in these times stability is most important, i can't see the roosters getting out of their slump, i think they should have stuck with stuart

mattyg

Bench
effnic said:
I will lose my bias ways when you stop taking a stab at manly with your pathetic cheap shots at every oppertunity you get, so it doesnt look to be anytime soon. What dogs fans feel about rocco manly fans feel about you.

im only stating my opinion mate, hardly the same as what rocco was doing. its just some people like yourself can't handle what i have to say...well tough sh*t, why don't you try travelling up to QLD to support your team only to be called a rapist. I have had to put up with everyone else's opinions about my team, so you should learn to do the same. God help it if you were in my shoes.

Some people like Scuba don't have a problem accepting my opinion. You won't see him kicking and screaming whenever i say something negative about Manly. Fact is, in this case i'm not the only one who thinks Manly aren't great at developing a players career. They buy stars instead of breeding stars. Hardly taking a "cheap shot" at your club.

Go cry to dessie.

Stagger eel

Staff member
mattyg said:
im only stating my opinion mate, hardly the same as what rocco was doing. its just some people like yourself can't handle what i have to say...well tough sh*t, why don't you try travelling up to QLD to support your team only to be called a rapist. I have had to put up with everyone else's opinions about my team, so you should learn to do the same. God help it if you were in my shoes.

Some people like Scuba don't have a problem accepting my opinion. You won't see him kicking and screaming whenever i say something negative about Manly. Fact is, in this case i'm not the only one who thinks Manly aren't great at developing a players career. They buy stars instead of breeding stars. Hardly taking a "cheap shot" at your club.

Go cry to dessie.

150% f**king right..you've only got to look at the performances over the years from Premier League down to realise that, they can hardly develop a player to save their lives they tried a subtle tact by picking the eyes out of our juniors to help them along but it appears that they chose the wrong ones. Crusher is extremely overated as a scout and the only decent thing he's done to the club is entice Judas there.

Nathan B

Juniors
Canard said:

Funny that....

Yeah, that's kinda why I picked 2002...

And we now struggle more than most. Moreover, we can't re-sign a player without 137 b*llsh*t articles written about them beforehand. Unlike, say, Melbourne who can re-sign Slater without any fanfare at all (just one example of many).

Focal Point

Juniors
Inferno said:
What a load of sh*t, care to back it up with any numbers? We rarely buy any high profile players, and Kimmorley was average when he came to us, not our fault he is complete sh*t, I doubt he'd be any different at any other club.

Preston Campbell, whilst he wasn't a high-profile signing back then, had a dream year in 2001 - only to have his career almost obliterated by sharks management the following year. An example of a club making then, potentially, breaking a career I guess.

Fortunately he was signed up by the Panthers and he now holds in posession something that any sharks player will never have the chance of owning - a premiership ring.

Canard said:
Id say probably one of the dumbest things Ive seen ever in League was Mark Carroll deciding to leave a strong Penrith squad for Souths.

What a stupid comment, Spud Carroll played for Australia whilst playing in a sh*t Souths team.He left Penrith at the time because he could not cement a permanant starting postion.

t-ba

Post Whore
150% f**king right..you've only got to look at the performances over the years from Premier League down to realise that, they can hardly develop a player to save their lives they tried a subtle tact by picking the eyes out of our juniors to help them along but it appears that they chose the wrong ones. Crusher is extremely overated as a scout and the only decent thing he's done to the club is entice Judas there.

We've been perennial finalists in PL for a while now and have a 50% or so rate in Flegg. You're probably correct on the development issue (We've got a small catchment in a part of Sydney being overrun by Ex-Yuppie Soccer mums & young proffessional types and lack the gaming empire to fund the junior development of other clubs). Trust me, You'll know all about Groome and a number of our flegg stars in the coming seasons though.

but that wasn't the initial comment made:

mattyg said:
Break Careers - obviously Souths, Sharks and MANLY. Look at the stars they have signed over the past decade and how they have turned out. Need we go past Kimmorley

Unless the NRL is going to be kind and give Steve Menzies his Neagles matches as Manly-Warringah matches, we're hardly going to accept responsibility for the purchase of a player that the Norths board made the strongest push for. As often comes up on this board, The Neagles don't count as Manly as much as we dominated the joint venture.

We haven't signed many established stars in the last decade, bar a number of success stories over the last few seasons, none of whom you could argue have gone back in thier time at Manly, and Brent Kite is developing into one of the games premier props!. Craig Field's the only one I can really think of, and he had a number of good years at Manly to boot.

drake

First Grade
St George Illawarra (and the two before the merger) has definately made a few careers in the last few years.
Tallis
McGregor
Blacklock (bench warmer at Easts, leading try score 3 years running at the Dragons)
Mundine (would he be the "man" if it weren't for Saints?)
Barrett
Timmins
Riddell (another easts reject picked up for peanuts, bought by parra for a motza)
Kite (Canberra nuffy - State of Origin rep, bought by Manly for the price of a nice house)
Ryles
Bailey (local junior that becomes the Marquee player and co captain of the shiny new club)
Cooper
Gasnier
Hornby
Creagh

and a squad of youngsters that commentators cream over.

Now, if we could just win a %#$^#* premiership with all of that!

Make - Bulldogs, followed by Storm

Break - Sharks

The Bulldogs have a great knack of spotting talent, then bringing it to its potential. They have a no-nonsense coach (Steve Folkes) and a rigourous conditioning team to rival any other side. Additionally they have recruited existing first graders who's careers have taken off eg: Mark O'Meley.

In recent Times the Storm have also recruited well and developed talent. Eg Cooper Cronk, Greg Inglis, Matt King, Antonio Kaufusi.

The Sharks do have some talent, but in recent times there's been a dark cloud hanging over the club that has killed morale - which was subzero for much of last year. I cannot recall a player who has thrived, or risen from obscurity in recent times, other than perhaps Paul Gallen. Star recruits such as Nigel Vagana, Darren Albert, even Brett Kimmorley have rarely, if ever, reached the form they had prior to joining the shire club. Its a real concern. Maybe Ricky Stuart can break the mould, but who knows...

Snoz

Juniors
manly

George Rose
Mark Bryant
Michael Monaghan
Michael Robertson
Chris Hicks
Travis Burns
Luke Williamson

just out of current squad who were reserve graders elsewhere and almost on the scrap heap and are now regular first graders in a strong team