What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which clubs make/break careers?

Charlie124

First Grade
On the subject of certain clubs killing careers, what do you think are the clubs to have revived/killed the most careers or at least shown the biggest revivals/career suicides of players?

eg. Cowboys have Carl Webb and Jonathon Thurston - since coming to us Carl has burst back into the origin scene and Thursty has become one of the most potent attacking Weapons in the league.

Red Bear

Referee
Charlie124 said:
On the subject of certain clubs killing careers, what do you think are the clubs to have revived/killed the most careers or at least shown the biggest revivals/career suicides of players?

eg. Cowboys have Carl Webb and Jonathon Thurston - since coming to us Carl has burst back into the origin scene and Thursty has become one of the most potent attacking Weapons in the league.
Carl Webb had already played origin and was playing ok footy near the end of his bronco days also. He's not a great player.

Thurstons just a tool, so i cant judge him.

Frederick

Staff member
Up til last year...

Make careers:
Every club bar Souths

Break careers:
Souths

:)

Charlie124

First Grade
GoTheBears said:
Carl Webb had already played origin and was playing ok footy near the end of his bronco days also. He's not a great player.

Thurstons just a tool, so i cant judge him.

Didnt you just judge him by calling him a tool??

Anyway...

Im aware that Carl had played Origin before coming to the Cowboys, however since then he had struggled to even make the broncos 17, needless to say his origin career had completely stalled. Then when he came to us he seemed to snap out of his downward spiral and really make a name for himself again.

Canard

Immortal
Charlie124 said:

I agree with those, but we certainly have a lot more failure than success though.

Remember Brett Hetherington, Owen Cunnigham, Willie Morganson, Jason Martin, Scott Mahon, Luke Phillips, Scott Donald etc. etc.

Id say probably one of the dumbest things Ive seen ever in League was Mark Carroll deciding to leave a strong Penrith squad for Souths.

Big Pete

Referee
Carl Webb was getting better at the end of 2004 for the Broncos and was showing some great impact off the bench. He then went over in 2005 and looked a bit leaner and got more game time and the media and commentators talked him up. Ever since Origin 1 2005 Carl hasn't played at the same intensity since.

I agree with Thurston though.

Brisbane Broncos seem to be a mixed bag in terms of players. We're better handling our talent that came through our ranks. Take Justin Hodges for instance who went from a struggling player with potential to one of the best attacking weapons on the footy field. While players like Scott Prince, Stuart Kelly and Richard Swain were mostly dissapointments in one form or another.

I believe the Dogs are pretty good at kick starting careers. Patten, Lolesi, Tonga, O'Meley, Armit and Holdsworth. Just to name a few.

Panthers are also pretty good of making the best use of their recruits. Amos Roberts and Craig Stapleton just to name a few.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Captain_Fred said:
Up til last year...

Make careers:
Every club bar Souths

Break careers:
Souths

:)

That is the general feeling amongst the RL community, but I'm not sure if it is entirely true.

In 2002 Adam Muir was our marquee signing, but he was past his best and retired at the end of the season anyhow.

In 2003 it was Fletcher (who went on to play origin and test football in '03), Harrison (who made his rep debut from the club) and Walker. You could argue that we ruined Walker, but he chose to walk before his career at Souths even got started.

In the 90's our only really big signings were Brasher (who played for state and country in 98) and O'Neill (who played origin in 99).

Sure, our big names have gotten tired of losing, but I honestly don't think we've broken too many career's.

Charlie124

First Grade
Canard said:
I agree with those, but we certainly have a lot more failure than success though.

I completly agree, im not saying the Cowboys revive more careers than anyone else, its just an open question to everyone, have a look at youre own clubs success rate with reviving otherwise dead careers.

im not necessarily talking about breeding juniors either, but buying a struggling/unknown player from another club and turning them into a superstar or at least a big name.

Frederick

Staff member
I spose it could be argued the the Roosters of last year fall into the 'break' category, as Ashley Harrison has gone downhill, and Braith Anasta...well, he didn't have much of a career anyway

mattyg

Bench
Make Careers - Broncos, Bulldogs, Cowboys
Break Careers - obviously Souths, Sharks and MANLY. Look at the stars they have signed over the past decade and how they have turned out. Need we go past Kimmorley

Knightmare

Coach
Make clubs- Broncos. If you're a Queenslander and you play for the Broncos, you are virtually assured of making the Maroons squad. This is also true (though to a lesser extent) for St George Illawarra and NSW.

Break clubs- Cronulla and South Sydney. No more need be said.

t-ba

Post Whore
mattyg said:
Break Careers - obviously Souths, Sharks and MANLY. Look at the stars they have signed over the past decade and how they have turned out. Need we go past Kimmorley

Manly?

Craig Field, That's about it...Kimmorley was contracted with Norths thank you very much!

We've been too poor to sign quality. BK, Bell, Orford and Kite all seemed to have pretty much stayed at the same level since joining the club.

Minto is a God

Juniors
Knightmare said:
Make clubs- Broncos. If you're a Queenslander and you play for the Broncos, you are virtually assured of making the Maroons squad. This is also true (though to a lesser extent) for St George Illawarra and NSW.

Early on though the Bronx had a rep as a bit of career wrecker.

Im thinking guys like Peter Jackson, Dale Shearer, Sam Backo and even Walter Lewis all HUGE stars before they came to the Bronx and all guys who struggled with their form.

Richard Swain never really panned out either remember when people were saying the Storm would be farked without him and the Broncos would be win it all.(Motu Tony also),

Also Scotty Prince, he was the next big thing with the Cowboys, came over to the Broncos and even taking into account shocking injuries his form was rubbish.

Jono Russell

Bench
Knightmare said:

Mate I think Kimmorley broke his own career. He had a blinder in his first 2 years at the club, Shall I recall the 10/10 game against Newcastle. Or the three interceptions he got against Joey at Energy Australia.

He got as far as SOO then from that point on he shot himself in the foot. If anything kimmorley has broken the sharks not vice versa.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Parramatta Eels. Why?

* Eric Grothe Junior - couldn't get any game time at the Roosters; comes back to the Eels, and is the best winger in the game.

* Fuifui Moimoi - if he manages to not get suspended for too long this year, he should figure heavily in the Kiwi Test side calculations. Before he came to the Eels, he was grossly unfit. Now, he's one of our best props.

* Wade McKinnon - a solid nuffy at Souths; since coming back home, he was seen as one of the best all round fullbacks in the game. Maybe not quite rep standard, but I doubt many clubs would knock him back.

* Craig Stapleton - had a good solid year at Parra, we didn't re-sign him and some lucky other clubs snapped him up.

And, in 2007, you can add Brett Finch to the list. ;-)

effnic

Bench
mattyg said:
f**k you talk some sh*t, get over 2006 you might be able to beat us in 07 if you get lucky and sbw is injured.

mattyg

Bench
When can you lose your bias and realise that no players have ended up better off under the Eagles coaching staff you wank. I dont care if we lost to you's in 2006, fact is we develop players better than you, that is what this thread is about...deal with it.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Eelementary said:
And, in 2007, you can add Brett Finch to the list. ;-)
:lol: Gotta love that optimism!!

Just thinking about the Warriors - they seem to both make and break a players career at the same time.

Guys like John Simon, Jason Death & Robbie Mears were seen as "saviours" while they were over here, and all were recruited when nobody else wanted them. But then they left on bad terms (Simon & Mears especially) and never reached any great heights after that.

More recently, Todd Byrne was solid in his first season (he was our leading tryscorer in 2005) but has since slipped off the radar pretty sharply.

As far as breaking a career goes, I can't think of a more rapid decline than Matthew Ridge.

ozbash

Referee
while i dont really blame the club, the warriors certainly didnt help motu tony, louie anderson and jerome ropati by playing them all over the park in positions they new bugger all about.

" your the fullback today mots, all you gotta do is catch the ball and run"

wests tigers have had a few

scott prince - was injury prone until he got a shot with the tigers and did not miss one game (baring SOO) for the tigers

Brett Hodgson - had a great 02 and disapeared in 03 tigers got him back up too SOO level

Pat Richards - was in reserve grade at parra for most came too the tigers and was great on the wing

Paul Whatuira - was on the bench for penrith for most hes time now at the tigers one of the best centres in the game

we have also had some busts

Scott Sattler,Nick Graham and so far Ryan O'hara (though i hope he proves me wrong this year :))

Latest posts