What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Team Has The Most Loyal Players??

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I think the test is how many one club players each of them have.

And by one club I mean they started in the juniors and only played for that club.

Shorty

Staff member
As I've stated in a few posts B-Tron 3000,'loyal' was the wrong word.
I'm talking about clubs that can hold on to players.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Sorry mate must have missed that.

Anyway, I think we'll find that the Broncs aren't as good as they used to be at retaining players.

Again, hard to tell, given the we don't know the full story behind why players leave.

At the moment I'd say Souths have players wanting to go there, and not wanting to leave.

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
Brisbane is the clear winner.

Other teams (mainly because of their junior bases) would be Dogs, Eels, Penrith, St George and Knights (except for this year :D)

Shorty

Staff member
I think Souths will begin to retain players for a lot longer now.
I think Newcastle may start to struggle,from all that's gone down.

The Broncos still have a large field of talent,which is evident this season.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Shorty said:
The Broncos still have a large field of talent,which is evident this season.
True, but that's why I think it's a difficult question to answer without all the information.

Did the Broncos want to lose the players that they lost? At a certain price I'm sure they begin to let them go, as opposed to fight to retain them.

The salary cap means that every club makes decisions on what they think their players are worth, and every player makes decisions about what they feel they deserve.

This isn't a question about the clubs, it's more about the coach they have at the time, and what he is after.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Saints have a few long stayers.

- Gas 2001
- Hornby 2001
- Ryles 2000
- Creagh 2003
- Young 2002
- Cooper 2002

Admittedly we've lost quite a few we'd have wanted to hang on to.

Eels Dude

Coach
I think it's hard to compare in a club to club comparison. Players may be more likely to leave a one city club for example, as they may not want to move too far. In the same way a marque player at a strong club, would be less likely to leave than a marque player at a strong club.

Shorty

Staff member
B-Tron 3000 said:
True, but that's why I think it's a difficult question to answer without all the information.

Did the Broncos want to lose the players that they lost? At a certain price I'm sure they begin to let them go, as opposed to fight to retain them.

The salary cap means that every club makes decisions on what they think their players are worth, and every player makes decisions about what they feel they deserve.

This isn't a question about the clubs, it's more about the coach they have at the time, and what he is after.
Well this is what I see happening to the Storm.
Pending they improve even more,I can't see them keeping;
Billy Slater,Israel Falou,Greg Inglis,Cooper Cronk,Cameron Smith etc.

knights04

Bench
Broncos. Not to say it's likewise from their management, who have let go a few players this year, as well as a stack of coaching assistants in one hit. Warriors seem to be least loyal, with an influx gone to Super league.

macavity

Referee
LOL

yeah the Storm have loyal players like Newton

and previous loyal players such as Kimmorley and Orford

loyalty oozes out of the place...

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Nil

Unless some players get some nice fat pay pakcets they'll be off. They always state they'd like to stay around but in the end it is never the case. You do get some one-club vets but that is becoming few and far between.

it just comes down to inidivdual clubs and players. Sadly the loyalty factor has long gone out the window.

Canard

Immortal
For years they were the only team in Qld, and there was no salary cap (or it wasn't enforced properly). They were a SOO team, and therefore they won things. Players wanted to go there and win. They had the pick of the Qlders, and a few blues as well.

Maybe the only good team in QLD, but in there 20 years in the comp, they have rarely been the only team in QLD.

You could techincally say in between 88-95 if you counted the Gold Coast as being from NSW (Tweed Heads), but thats a bit of a stretch.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Canard said:
Maybe the only good team in QLD, but in there 20 years in the comp, they have rarely been the only team in QLD.

You could techincally say in between 88-95 if you counted the Gold Coast as being from NSW (Tweed Heads), but thats a bit of a stretch.
Fair point.

I'm not sure that version of the Gold Coast actually counts as a team though ;-)

Anyway, my points still stand. The Broncos were practically a monopoly. They aren't any more, and it's starting to show. It'll only get worse for them.

As long as they are the only Brissy team they'll be decent, but we aren't going to see them win comps every second year any more.

Biscuits

Juniors
Manly has more 200 game players than any other club, and of those players a good portion are genuine local juniors.

Steve Menzies-local junior
cliff lyons
Alan Thompson-local junior
Des Hasler
Fred Jones-Local junior
Geoff toovey_local junior
Graham eadie-one club player
Max Krilich-local junior
Bob fulton
Owen cunningham
Terry Randall-local junior
Paul Vautin

say waht you like about us buying players but Manlys record for loayalty and local heroes stacks up against any other club

salivor

First Grade
B-Tron 3000 said:
That doesn't make their players more loyal.

Brisbane are a case in point.

For years they were the only team in Qld, and there was no salary cap (or it wasn't enforced properly). They were a SOO team, and therefore they won things. Players wanted to go there and win. They had the pick of the Qlders, and a few blues as well.

Now they have to compete with two other Qld teams, and the salary cap is enforced. They still have a slight advantage, as the history of success is a big drawcard. They are also a one-team town, though this year a team was brought in that aren't that far away. This means that players don't have many choices if they want to stay near home, and also that the fame/celebrity/endorsement opportunities are greater.

The loyalty of Brisbane players hasn't really been tested, but it will in the next few years, as the Titans establish themselves. In fact, already this year has shown that the Brisbane of old is no longer around. I think it's fair to say that they are losing players that they don't want to lose this year. Berrigan, Tate, even Petero left because of money when it all boils down to it.

Brisbane's players are no more loyal than any others.

Souths are another case in point. Two years ago no-one would go near them with a ten-foot pole. Now players are moving there. Why? Opportunity, money (or in this case fringe benefits), and the chance to win.

Sure we're losing 5 valuable players this year but I don't think that's a black mark on the clubs ability to hang on to players long term.

Look at what we've got out of the players that are leaving. We've got 9 seasons out of both Berrigan and Carlaw, 10 seasons out of Petero, 200 games out of Thorn's 2 stints with the club and 7 seasons out of Tate. Those are long times for 1 player to spend at a club in modern day Rugby League and we've still got several other players on our books with similar stints at the club who'll be playing next season.

The salary cap and the constant evening up of the competition is going to bring us back to the pack somewhat but a lot of it still comes down to the environment and culture the club has built up and the fact that players want to play at what they percieve to be a successful club. We've still got those 2 factors in our advantage so I'm confident that the Taylors, Moons, Eastwoods etc of this world will keep the cycle going with long term stays at the club.

Ice777

Bench
macavity said:
yeah the Storm have loyal players like Newton

Yep because Newcastle showed him a sh*tload of loyalty by telling him he's not wanted and to go look elsewhere.........idiot :lol:

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
salivor said:
The salary cap and the constant evening up of the competition is going to bring us back to the pack somewhat but a lot of it still comes down to the environment and culture the club has built up and the fact that players want to play at what they percieve to be a successful club. We've still got those 2 factors in our advantage so I'm confident that the Taylors, Moons, Eastwoods etc of this world will keep the cycle going with long term stays at the club.
Yeah I admitted those things too.

But there's no doubt that the Broncos were aided by being the only Brisbane club. That winning culture was fostered by teams of Origin players, and will keep players heading there for a while. But they aren't going ot have it all their own way now, and players will see what happens to the senior men and realise it's a business. Look at Saints - two years or so ago they punted Thompson, and it was turmoil. Now some of their juniors are leaving because they know there's no loyalty any more.

Latest posts